My System

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Brian has 2 fathoms

My ML 2.1 only clipped 2x to my knowledge at very high SPL. Interestingly enough it happened when Marty (a friend of both me and Brian) played it so loud that my ears started to bleed :)

Reactions: DRPye

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Sorry for the delay, but I just saw this post. Prior to my current set up, I had Maxx 2's combined with bat vk150 tube amps. Beautiful everywhere, except the bass. Then I got the boulder 2060. Great everywhere except a bit to hot up top. My understanding is that your speakers are similar up top to the maxx. You have tubes throughout, so you can use a transparent amplifier. The Boulder (2000 series only), is a very transparent and powerful amp. It performs best on 240V. I think it would match well with your equipment. The Soulution may work as well based on people that I trust. The only other amp I have tried on the alexandrias is the Lamm ML 2.1. It clipped in my room.

Thanks Brian...great advice as always and clearly from someone with serious experience. I thought long and hard about the ML2.1 and ML2.2 (demo unit), and got great advice from Steve and also from Wilson directly who obviously think highly of the Lamms. I thought about Boulder 2060 but could only find a 12-year old one...and with a repair problem so i stayed away.

i entirely agree with you...transparent amp is the way to go with tubes in the source and pre. In the end, i was fortunate to find a second-hand Gryphon Colosseum so i went with that, i am really enjoying it.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I only have experience with the Finite Elemente.

Great sounding racks. I own the Pagode Master Reference and with my tube equipment there is a real improvement in sound quality. And the looks of the new Pagode Special Edition in dark wood and chrome are gorgeous ...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great sounding racks. I own the Pagode Master Reference and with my tube equipment there is a real improvement in sound quality. And the looks of the new Pagode Special Edition in dark wood and chrome are gorgeous ...

Agree...newest versions are great looking.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing