Sound Application RLS-1 conditioner
Sound Application Brass Alloy Power Outlets
Oyaide outlets
PS Audio Power Port Outlets
Pagoda Finite Element Master Reference Stand
ASC Tube traps
Sony SXRD Video
Custom Room Acoustics

I have been in this hobby only a short time, but I have jumped in with both feet. I have learned a great deal, and discovered some great new music along the way. I have heard some great systems (Steve's and Marty's to name 2 that have made STRONG impressions on me). I have reached a new plateau recently after converting my amplifier to 240V. I had heard this amp sounded best on 240V, but was not prepared for the difference. Solid state with effortless silky highs, iron fisted bass and stunning clarity and silence. I was within days of listing my amp and preamp and going back to tubes. I had good sound, but now I have goosebumps. I wish I could say I got there based on something other than a bit of luck. In the end I'm just glad I can avoid starting over.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I take a look at the pics and my jaw dropped. You mentioned you are new to the hobby, I fell off my chair. Hot dang man! You don't mess around!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Brian

Nice to see you over here again. Marty spoke to me about the conversion of your Boulder amp to 240volts. He said it made a huge improvement in the overall sound. Congrats Brian. Next time I am in Dallas I have to come by again for another listen

BFlowers

Apr 23, 2010
Westlake Texas
That is my transport traversing the two stands. It's done for aesthetic reasons. I need another component to balance the look:). I'm open to suggestions. As far as the power cord, the only change necessary was reterminating it with a 240V plug. It was done by the electrician.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Nicely done. But in this thread, presumably the same Marty (???) seems to indicate that both Steve's and your Alexandria's also need a sub?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Doh.. I just noticed you do have subs...

BFlowers

Apr 23, 2010
Westlake Texas
I use Sound Application outlets everywhere except the Oyaides I have on the preamp. I have tried several outlets, and despite what some think they have an easily noticed difference. The 240V outlet and plug are nothing special. Hubbell does make them, but my electrician chose another brand. As far as the subs, the JL's are excellent. I can't imagine better. I had the REL studio III before and it wasn't close (in my hands/room) for 3 times the price. One could probably get to 20Hz with the Alexandrias with positioning. I could not. The bass I have now is pretty spectacular. I can elaborate on any of these issues if there is interest.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Brian,

I reviewed your [incredible!] system last nite and this morning...and would appreciate your advice on amplifiers. My system: Zanden digital; CJ pre; Gryphon Antileon; Wilson X-1/Slamms & Velodyne DD18; Transparent Ref Cabling.

With my Antileon amp in for repair, i got a tiny, old Goldmund loaner amp...lean, bare...BUT very transparent from the lower treble upwards. I am shocked at how much i am enjoying this little loaner in the upper treble (strings, quartets, etc). The Antileon is a tad dark (but otherwise vastly superior in my system). i think this is because the Zanden/CJ 'voicing' is right for me, and thus i am looking for an amp that is: effortlessly powerful and superbly transparent so as to simply pass along the tonal purity and highly detailed & extended signal i am getting from the Zanden/CJ.

Recommendations?
What else did you audition? FM Acoustics? Gryphon? (newer models)
Any difference in sound quality btwn 850 monos, 1060 & 2060...or is it "just" greater power/effortlessness?

thanks for any guidance. And enjoy your system!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

BFlowers

Apr 23, 2010
Westlake Texas
Sorry for the delay, but I just saw this post. Prior to my current set up, I had Maxx 2's combined with bat vk150 tube amps. Beautiful everywhere, except the bass. Then I got the boulder 2060. Great everywhere except a bit to hot up top. My understanding is that your speakers are similar up top to the maxx. You have tubes throughout, so you can use a transparent amplifier. The Boulder (2000 series only), is a very transparent and powerful amp. It performs best on 240V. I think it would match well with your equipment. The Soulution may work as well based on people that I trust. The only other amp I have tried on the alexandrias is the Lamm ML 2.1. It clipped in my room.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing