My RMAF 2010 impressions (virtual tour)

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I got to go the RMAF 2010 after all! Audiogon went from room to room with a handheld PCM recorder and recorded many of the rooms and applied the down sampled results by the room photos. Can hear the rooms by headphones via computer.
I KNOW IT IS COMPLETELY BOGUS, but I can now come up with a preference list for the rooms based on vacuous, audiophile ouija board interpolation of the down sampled sound. I even enjoyed yelling at the guys in the room to shut up while the music was playing.

I thought German Physik was excellent in a couple of different rooms. I liked the small YG speaker. The large YG speaker was good, but I like the smaller one better. The dynamics of the JBL horns managed to come through and was impressive even in compressed audio format. I thought the Magico Q5 was giving a very impressive result with orchestral music playing.
The Zu speaker was likewise was very dynamic and impressive. I liked the small MBL speaker and the Allnic demo.
Being a planar guy, I was very much taken with the Sanders, Quad/Merrill, and Analysis samples.
It seemed like there were actually a lot of good sounding rooms, in spite of show conditions.
I also liked hearing what the various exhibitors were using for music. Many female vocals, nothing too raucous, mostly slow, close mic-ed stuff and horny-girl music for the gomer-philes to get off on.

Pretty cool, check it out.

http://live.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/ces.pl?&&RoomList&FM&&&&&&RMF10

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing