My Escape From Reality

zepherman

Jun 25, 2010
The Sunny Southwest
Quite a few changes have taken place since I last posted here. Back at the time of the last posting, I was really wanting the Samsung 75 inch LED. But that model of TV never made it state side, although now Samsung actually did release a 75 inch TV here (different model). But as the year passed I got to experience a side by side comparison of active 3D and passive 3D. After watching one set for half an hour, and then the other for half and hour, it was clear that I wanted passive. Easier on the eyes, glasses were way more comfortable and much lighter, the images on screen were brighter and more vivid as well.

So from that point, I scratched off Samsung, Sharp, Panasonic, and any other TV brand that used active 3D. Then I started hearing about 4K TV's that were going to be shown at the 2012 CES. And LG was going to have an 84" model on display. This really caught my attention as this TV was passive 3D, but was able to display it at 1080p per eye. This was exactly what I wanted in a TV! So I patiently waited, and then LG actually did release the TV for purchase. Then of course came the sticker shock. But as the months passed, the price tag dropped enough to make this TV actually attainable. So I took a leap of faith and ordered one.

I've had it now for about 2 months, and I've got to say, this TV delivers the best PQ I have seen! Upscaled 1080p content looks amazing! And the 3D is just jaw dropping! Also got an Oppo BDP-103, and a Marantz AV8801 processor.

Here are some actual screen shots of 4K YouTube videos as seen on this TV. My PC is limited to 1080p so what you see in the following photos is 1080p upscaled to 4K by the LG. Flash Player is required to see the photos. To see a larger image click on the photos.

Gourmet Cuisine

Gourmet Cuisine 2

Asian Beauty

4K Demo

Canyon

Downtown

LG Demo 3

LG Demo 4

LG Demo 5

LG Demo 6

Green Grass

Presents

Store Window

Sunflower

Woven Doll

Fall leaves

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Unbelievable picture quality and great looking system.

I wandered into our local high end Audio/HT store and saw the Sony 4K PJ upconverting 1080P to 4K. It makes regular 1080P look like a VCR tape in comparison, as do the photos you posted.

I may have to start saving my pennies !!!!!

I really like the crisp look of your room!!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Outstanding pictures Seth! Although I'm not in the market for a 4K set, I do very much want to see one. Hopefully they'll start showing up in showrooms soon.

zepherman

Jun 25, 2010
The Sunny Southwest
Unbelievable picture quality and great looking system.

I wandered into our local high end Audio/HT store and saw the Sony 4K PJ upconverting 1080P to 4K. It makes regular 1080P look like a VCR tape in comparison, as do the photos you posted.

I may have to start saving my pennies !!!!!

I really like the crisp look of your room!!

Thanks.;)

Yes, upscaled 1080p to 4K looks amazing! And it seems that the more high frequency detail there is in a 1080p image, the more impact the upscaled presentation will be.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing