My Continuum Audio Labs Caliburn Project

the other issue with active to keep in mind is that it does not discriminate what resonance to attenuate. if your turntable chassis transfers resonance to it's footers to bleed off into the shelf it's sitting on, as most turntables do, then the active device will try to attenuate that resonance and it will cause a loop of noise and actually make things worse, not better, increasing noise....and possibly burning out the active device as it's not designed to continually work that hard.

so not every turntable is a candidate for active. with passive you don't have this issue.

and you won't know about this unless you (1) try it first, and (2) your active device has a read out screen to be able to actually view what is going on. it is possible your thru-chassis resonance is low enough that the net effect with active might still be positive. or maybe some sort of decoupling shelf could be inserted between the active device and the tt footers to lower the transferred resonance. but then that would effect the sound too. need to investigate fully.

in my system, only my Wave Kinetics NVS has zero thru chassis resonance. my CS Port string drive and my (now departed) Saskia model two both were too noisy for active. not yet checked out my Esoteric T1 but i suspect it's separate motor chassis would transfer plenty of resonance.
Hi Mike this is a very good insight and observation of what really happens in chassis dynamics. When tightly integrated into the overall architecture the passive negative stiffness approach offers many benefits.

Reactions: Lee

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
MinusK are good from 0.5hz up to about 100hz. After this they taper off. By adding additional damping to address settling time the system can be very finely tuned to work with a rotational mass to provide laser stable points on a wall 100 feet away (was the limit of our test area)!
Thank you for sharing your experience, I learned new things from your post. IMHO MinusK is a good isolation platform but it’s hard to set it up and I’m not really a two left handed person.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
the best passive material is sylomer, a heavy foam. it fights everything above 5 hz very effectively. you have to know the weight to be carried. then you have to use a formula to calculate the size of the 3 or 4 pads that come under the turntable. type sr 11 yellow up to 50kg type sr 55 green for higher weight. Exsample impulse on the floor. Sylomer-Gummiball-vor-Laufwerk-auf-den-Boden-aus-1m-Nadel-auf-Teiller-1024x399.jpg

P.S
Anything below 5Hz is very rare, for example an earthquake or a tank driving through the listening room. The phenomenon occurs in 1 out of 100 cases. Tonearm resonances around 6-15 Hz, impact noise occurs in the room at 30-70 Hz

asdffx

Jul 9, 2011

The best way to compare performance is to look at the test data,minusk have published very detailed test data ,Herzan Seismion's is a bit simpler, but their coordinates are in different units and need to be converted .....

and minusk recently make a video to compare these.....

1691409809423.png

1691409831514.png

Last edited:

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Quick update: getting an oil change soon for the table thanks to the good service from Continuum tech Rich O’Neil.

As I listen more, one thing that is standing out for me is the decay of notes and the realism of instrument timbre. This is really making my Blue Note and classical music collections sound right. I am so happy when I listen to this beast of a table!

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Quick update: getting an oil change soon for the table thanks to the good service from Continuum tech Rich O’Neil.

As I listen more, one thing that is standing out for me is the decay of notes and the realism of instrument timbre. This is really making my Blue Note and classical music collections sound right. I am so happy when I listen to this beast of a table!
yes . some mass drives do that excellently. a piano tone how stable that acoustically stands in the room and fades away. some are not good at it. a Horstmann & Petter Ulysses also makes very perfect my tip hp2.jpg

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
yes . some mass drives do that excellently. a piano tone how stable that acoustically stands in the room and fades away. some are not good at it. a Horstmann & Petter Ulysses also makes very perfect my tip View attachment 115128

Cool turntable!

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Cool turntable!
Magnetic bearing either with a small ceramic ball in the bearing or not. more detailed sound with ceramic ball. platter 45kg in total 105kg.in my personal top 5 turntables image (1).jpg

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reactions: DasguteOhr

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Magnetic bearing either with a small ceramic ball in the bearing or not. more detailed sound with ceramic ball. platter 45kg in total 105kg.in my personal top 5 turntables

Although it is a great idea, implementation of magnetic bearings is not an easy job. It needs extremely uniform and symmetric magnets, otherwise it will induce micro variations in drag.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Can I ask how popular was the Continuum back in the day?

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Although it is a great idea, implementation of magnetic bearings is not an easy job. It needs extremely uniform and symmetric magnets, otherwise it will induce micro variations in drag.
There has been mature technology used by several companies for 45 years. I'm not worried about that

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Can I ask how popular was the Continuum back in the day?

I will attempt to answer this in a couple of ways...

1. It was fairly groundbreaking for its time as an all-out assault on analog. Fremer used his for 15 years as a reference.

2. I think they sold dozens of them but at $150-200K it was a limited audience for sure.

3. I was told the R&D was very expensive for this table.

I sort of think of it as the Carrerra GT of its day. The GT came out two years before. Given the build quality I am witnessing it is not surprising they sell fast when available on the used market.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

It really helps to have a precise bearing approach. I think the continuous ring makes it a bit easier on the Caliburn. Dohmann felt the platter needed to have a traditional bearing for noise dissipation but he went with a huge spindle at 1" diameter by 5". I think that Esoteric is taking a similar approach with the magnets effectively lowering the weight of the platter.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Further notes on sound quality from the Caliburn after an extended listening session tonight. I finally had time to take in the changes to the system, most notably the Caliburn and (finally) a decent number of hours on the Ref Phono 3SE (326).

> Perhaps the best thing this table does is present a wide and deep soundstage. It’s just astonishing. It’s rearranging what I thought was possible from analog.

> There is a feeling of solidity in where the instruments are and the note decays go on as long as the recording permits.

> i listened to the demo quality LP “The Wonderful Sounds of Quality Record Pressings”. This $95 three record, six side set has reference sound quality (for some reason the classical music on Side 2 was noisy, maybe got a bad pressing). There is an immersive quality to the mastering of these tracks…no surprise since this lineup was selected by Chad Kassem himself, originally for the Throens 125 set. The music just comes alive. I think the word here is Presence. Spectacular realism!

> Guitar sound, acoustic or electric, just comes alive. Listening to the Mofi 45 of Industrial Disease and it just jumps! There is a lot going here and I feel like the instruments get separated from each other in a way that doesn’t destroy the layering. It creates more and more musical engagement. It’s addictive. It’s the best I have heard this song.

> Instrument purity. Piano, violin, cello, acoustic guitar, trumpet...timbres are spot on.

> Dynamics are incredible. Soft to loud passages just feel natural. It really comes across on the QRP set with Hugh Masekela’s Stimela.

I think I am done with analog for a while but we will be adding the Minus K platform next year If things go well. This is a really special table even in 2023. If you can find one used for an acceptable price, snag it. You won’t be disappointed.

Reactions: MRJAZZ

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
yes . some mass drives do that excellently. a piano tone how stable that acoustically stands in the room and fades away. some are not good at it. a Horstmann & Petter Ulysses also makes very perfect my tip View attachment 115128
Looks for all the world like a modified Verdier Platine design...

Reactions: mtemur

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing