My Continuum Audio Labs Caliburn Project

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I am going to be working on installing a Continuum Caliburn table soon. I'm pretty excited about this as it has long been a dream table and I have been reading about the spectacular engineering in this table. It is a bit complex to assemble but I think we have things figured out and I have two notable experts on stand-by.

A few early observations:

1. I have never seen build quality this high in a turntable outside of the Airforce Zero.
2. Every part seems to weigh 30+ lbs. The assembled turntable is 160 lbs!
3. The stand is rock solid and has the Finite Elemente footers. Probably going to use piano movers to get to the house here.
4. Very high quality owner's manual.
5. The Magnesium alloy on the case work is really beautiful when cleaned up.

I am very excited to hear what this table sounds like although the owner and I were close friends and used to listen to it a lot.

continuum.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I am going to be working on installing a Continuum Caliburn table soon. I'm pretty excited about this as it has long been a dream table and I have been reading about the spectacular engineering in this table. It is a bit complex to assemble but I think we have things figured out and I have two notable experts on stand-by.

1. I have never seen build quality this high in a turntable outside of the Airfare Zero.
3. The stand is rock solid and has the Finite Elemente footers. Probably going to use piano movers to get to the house here.

I am very excited to hear what this table sounds like although the owner and I were close friends and used to listen to it a lot.

Congratulations Lee! The previous owner of my TechDas owned both turntables - the Calliburn and the AF one premium. I listened to them side by side - both excellent turntables of similar level of performance, both making music stand out from mechanical artifacts (I am not referring to the black background ;) ) the choice would depend on listener preference. As only the TechDas was available, my bias wisely moved my love to it. But there was some magic on the Calliburn attacks that I have not forgotten.

Reactions: Lee

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Congratulations Lee! The previous owner of my TechDas owned both turntables - the Calliburn and the AF one premium. I listened to them side by side - both excellent turntables of similar level of performance, both making music stand out from mechanical artifacts (I am not referring to the black background ;) ) the choice would depend on listener preference. As only the TechDas was available, my bias wisely moved my love to it. But there was some magic on the Calliburn attacks that I have not forgotten.
Very helpful feedback, thanks!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

1. I have never seen build quality this high in a turntable outside of the Airfare Zero.

That is very exciting, Lee! Big congratulations to you!

Reactions: Lee

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Congratulations! That's a big deal.

Are you getting the ... what was it, cobra, viper, snakename arm ... with it?

Does Continuum continue to support it?

Continuum Caliburn.jpg

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Yes, Cobra tonearm, Castellon stand, controller, vacuum box, and French Maple shelving.

Yes, Continuum has Rich O’Neil still supporting Continuum customers. Rich repairs lab equipment and set up many Caliburns and Criterions, including the Criterion at David Robinson’s place back in the day.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Yes, Cobra tonearm, Castellon stand, controller, vacuum box, and French Maple shelving.

Yes, Continuum has Rich O’Neil still supporting Continuum customers. Rich repairs lab equipment and set up many Caliburns and Criterions, including the Criterion at David Robinson’s place back in the day.

Excellent. You've put together a realy nice system. Any plans for other cartridges?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Excellent. You've put together a realy nice system. Any plans for other cartridges?
Very low hours on the Etna Lambda so no...no money for that at this time. Moreover, I am thrilled with the sound of the Etna. It's an amazing reference cartridge.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
IMG_6626.jpeg

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Setup proceeding nicely but at this level of heavy build, it’s a two person job. You have to set the motor up and lift the 100lb table over it. Next we will place the platter on the bearing, then add belt and check speed stability, then add tonearm tower to armboard, set plinth, build tonearm tower, add Cobra arm, and finish with cartridge setup.

Reactions: KeithR and tima

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Well the good news is that the electronics are in working order. We added two new 12V marine batteries to the controller box and the vacuum, oil pump, and motor performing smoothly.

Reactions: tima

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
IMG_6706.jpeg

thekong

May 10, 2012
Nice turntable! Just curious, is this black disc the magnet to levitate the platter? If so, it is of similar size to that of the JC Verdier! C77D0581-67AA-41E7-8BBE-B57CDA91D34F.jpeg

Reactions: exupgh12 and mtemur

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Nice turntable! Just curious, is this black disc the magnet to levitate the platter? If so, it is of similar size to that of the JC Verdier! View attachment 112801
Good question. It’s a large magnet. There is also one under the platter and this pairing lowers the platter downforce to 6 lbs which is optimal for the oil pressure supplied main bearing. The bearing shaft is roughly 1” in diameter.

Reactions: thekong

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Is that a wrapper around the plinth or just on top of it. Not sure what I'm seeing here. Lovely ... birdseye maple? It appears to match the stand.

Sounds like you're having fun!
It’s a piece of sheet metal with a French maple veneer. Just for appearance.

I was trying to post a video showing the smoothness of the platter spin but I guess we can’t embed videos here.

And yes, we are having great fun!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing