My brief time spent with Antipodes K40

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
I spent 24 hrs with a 30hour old K40 this week. It was connected to my second Buffalo switch and then to my DAC by Supra Cat 8+ cables. My DAC is a Bricasti M21.

Due to the delay in configuring it or my incumbent souped up Win 7, I3 silent PC (JCAT NetCard XE, fully powered by HD Plex linear PS) as the ROON core, my comparison impressions are tempered by the time delays in switching back and forth.

However, in this brief home demo, I found the K40 to offer detailed textures and a relaxed presentation. The key difference to my incumbent PC showed only in a slightly more rounded low end. It was pleasing to me and very easy to set up. I streamed from my NAS and from Qobuz.

I used a WW Silver Elektra PC as I knew from my buddies demo a day before, that it responded very well to replacing its stock PC with a Shunyata Alpha V2 NR PC. It was night and day better. I would have used the Alpha in my demo but it was my Alpha used at my buddies and I needed it to power one of my monos. ;)

While I didn’t buy it now, it is on a short list should I decide to move on from my windows based PC. Timing is not good for me as I am considering moving from my Strads and that expenditure is taking priority right now.

The K-40 ticks all of my boxes.

Last edited:

speakerlust

Mar 26, 2011
My experience with K50 has been similar with increased texture and resolution and a bit tighter low end as it accumulates more run time. I have single PF Buffalo as switch. It may be wishful thinking on my part, but It seems Roon has improved since Antipodes rolled out software updates.

Enjoy

Reactions: Lxgreen

markramler

Sep 19, 2014
New York, NY
I spent 24 hrs with a 30hour old K40 this week. It was connected to my second Buffalo switch and then to my DAC by Supra Cat 8+ cables. My DAC is a Bricasti M21.

Due to the delay in configuring it or my incumbent souped up Win 7, I3 silent PC (JCAT NetCard XE, fully powered by HD Plex linear PS) as the ROON core, my comparison impressions are tempered by the time delays in switching back and forth.

However, in this brief home demo, I found the K40 to offer detailed textures and a relaxed presentation. The key difference to my incumbent PC showed only in a slightly more rounded low end. It was pleasing to me and very easy to set up. I streamed from my NAS and from Qobuz.

I used a WW Silver Elektra PC as I knew from my buddies demo a day before, that it responded very well to replacing its stock PC with a Shunyata Alpha V2 NR PC. It was night and day better. I would have used the Alpha in my demo but it was my Alpha used at my buddies and I needed it to power one of my monos. ;)

While I didn’t buy it now, it is on a short list should I decide to move on from my windows based PC. Timing is not good for me as I am considering moving from my Strads and that expenditure is taking priority right now.

When I was deciding on the K40 or K50, Mark Cole of Antipodes informed me that the K40 is discontinued and another model will be replacing it. I purchased the K50 in October Mark did not provide any information on the K40 replacement.

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015

You might want to try the K50 since it has the player computer in it and you can see if using AES, S/PDIF, USB, etc. sounds better than the LAN connections. You can also use the different player/server combos, the player options don't work when using the K40 (or K50 for that matter) as a server. Also, the sound is better if you store your music on the K40, and not stream from a NAS. From your description, it appears that you didn't try this.

Reactions: markramler

markramler

Sep 19, 2014
New York, NY
You might want to try the K50 since it has the player computer in it and you can see if using AES, S/PDIF, USB, etc. sounds better than the LAN connections. You can also use the different player/server combos, the player options don't work when using the K40 (or K50 for that matter) as a server. Also, the sound is better if you store your music on the K40, and not stream from a NAS. From your description

You might want to try the K50 since it has the player computer in it and you can see if using AES, S/PDIF, USB, etc. sounds better than the LAN connections. You can also use the different player/server combos, the player options don't work when using the K40 (or K50 for that matter) as a server. Also, the sound is better if you store your music on the K40, and not stream from a NAS. From your description, it appears that you didn't try this.
I was not able to demo the K50 and I decided to purchase it rather than the K40 for several reasons:

It is Antipodes flagship server and is not being replaced.
It has 2 computers one for the streamer and one for the player and a clock each with their own power supply.
The K40 at 60% of the list price of the K50 provides only a streamer.
My Meridian Ultra Dac has good rendering capability but being 6 years old I was not confident that it was the equal of the K50, and it was not.

I did compare the ethernet output to the SPDIF output. The SPDIF output, which is re-clocked, was significantly better, no comparison in any respects, even with MQA streaming.
My understanding is the Briscasti M21 is an outstanding dac and renderer, so you may have better results with the LAN connection than I did. Additionally, the K40 is upgradable to a K50.

You may want to contact Antipodes and see if they will give you information on K40 replacement. I last contacted them in October and Mark indicated that he expected the replacement to out by the end of the year.

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Im looking at the K40, concerned about the discontinuation of that model. I will reach out and get some answers.

Reactions: speakerlust

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
I just didn’t have enough time to try the internal SSD. The opportunity came quick and I didn’t have a drive to use.

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
I just didn’t have enough time to try the internal SSD. The opportunity came quick and I didn’t have a drive to use.

Does anyone have the Antipodes ripper drive? Curious to know how it works or if there is a cheaper but quality alternative.

markramler

Sep 19, 2014
New York, NY
Does anyone have the Antipodes ripper drive? Curious to know how it works or if there is a cheaper but quality alternative.
I tied using a CD ripper the had worked with my Roon Nucleus but the K50 would not connect with it.. So I ripped to my iMac and just used file manager to drop in the CD file same as any download.

Reactions: skids929

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
I tied using a CD ripper the had worked with my Roon Nucleus but the K50 would not connect with it.. So I ripped to my iMac and just used file manager to drop in the CD file same as any download.

Good to know, wonder if this is an isolated incident? Did Antipodes reply to it for you?

markramler

Sep 19, 2014
New York, NY
Good to know, wonder if this is an isolated incident? Did Antipodes reply to it for you?
Response from the US distributor to my dealer was that the K50 should work with other CD rippers. I did not reach out to the Company. It is very simple using file manager as an alternative. That being said I only ripped 50 CDs or so. You can ask this question in their forum.

Reactions: skids929

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Response from the US distributor to my dealer was that the K50 should work with other CD rippers. I did not reach out to the Company. It is very simple using file manager as an alternative. That being said I only ripped 50 CDs or so. You can ask this question in their forum.
it will work, confirmed with Antipodes. I am getting their ripper for my K50. Of course I feel like I overpaid..But thats a common theme in this hobby.

Reactions: markramler

markramler

Sep 19, 2014
New York, NY
Antipodes has launched the K41 and a K21. They are also discontinuing the K10 due to part shortages. Price increases effective Feb. 1. See below.

“The Antipodes K41 is equivalent to the Server engine in the latest K50, and provides the ultimate Server to play to the Ethernet input on your DAC, or to a K21.”

” The K21 is the latest evolution of the DX, but with more power, dynamics, resolution and realism. Upgrade the K21 later by adding a K41 to achieve K50-level USB performance.”

“Costs have risen rapidly throughout the Covid crisis. We have held prices constant since the new K Series and S Series were launched in 2020, but we now need to flow some of the cost rises through to prices.

To ease the pain a little, we are pre-announcing the increases in December 2021, and they will not take effect until 1 February 2022. So if you have been planning an Antipodes purchase, there is time to secure it at the current lower prices.

Recommended retail prices listed here are in US dollars and exclude the impacts of duties and taxes, so are indicative only. Check with your local distributor for actual retail pricing.”

ModelPrice Pre 1 Feb 2022Price From 1 Feb 2022
K5015,00017,500
K4110,00010,000
K3010,00011,000
K216,5006,500
S405,0005,500
S303,0003,500
S202,5002,700
S602,0002,200

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Antipodes has launched the K41 and a K21. They are also discontinuing the K10 due to part shortages. Price increases effective Feb. 1. See below.

“The Antipodes K41 is equivalent to the Server engine in the latest K50, and provides the ultimate Server to play to the Ethernet input on your DAC, or to a K21.”

” The K21 is the latest evolution of the DX, but with more power, dynamics, resolution and realism. Upgrade the K21 later by adding a K41 to achieve K50-level USB performance.”

“Costs have risen rapidly throughout the Covid crisis. We have held prices constant since the new K Series and S Series were launched in 2020, but we now need to flow some of the cost rises through to prices.

To ease the pain a little, we are pre-announcing the increases in December 2021, and they will not take effect until 1 February 2022. So if you have been planning an Antipodes purchase, there is time to secure it at the current lower prices.

Recommended retail prices listed here are in US dollars and exclude the impacts of duties and taxes, so are indicative only. Check with your local distributor for actual retail pricing.”

ModelPrice Pre 1 Feb 2022Price From 1 Feb 2022
K5015,00017,500
K4110,00010,000
K3010,00011,000
K216,5006,500
S405,0005,500
S303,0003,500
S202,5002,700
S602,0002,200

Yeah saw that, thanks for the update. Their FB page has these updates too. The k21 is fully designed around USB which I am not a fan of. Not sure how many of these they will sell, but I do like a two chassis design for server/player for the upgradeability.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing