Wavetouch

Jul 4, 2022
Los Angeles, CA
www.wavetouchaudio.com
I am a cable and speaker builder located in Los Angeles, CA. I've been improving the sound of my audio system for many years.
My small set up consists Wavetouch Antero V2 speaker, modded OPPO BDP-95, modded SCL audio (Bakoon) AMP-5521 mk4 (35watts int. amp), Wavetouch power cord, IC, & speaker cables.

All videos are live recorded w/ Nikon D7100 w/ Shure ext mics 8ft from speakers. Last video is recorded at The SHOW 2023, Costa Mesa 2 weeks ago recorded w/ Nikon Z50 (int mics). All songs are YT downloaded. Please enjoy.
Alex/Wavetouch

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

Ampexed

May 2, 2023
Not to disparage your efforts, but it is next to impossible to get any idea how a system sounds when picked up by microphones in the room. Every system tends to sound like the next when this is done because we're hearing mostly the room. I wish I knew a solution to this problem but I don't. Even using a dummy head and listening on headphones is not all that informative. I'm sure your speakers sound great, but unfortunately I'd never know that by listening to the video sound.

Wavetouch

Jul 4, 2022
Los Angeles, CA
www.wavetouchaudio.com
Every system tends to sound like the next when this is done because we're hearing mostly the room.
Thank you for your honest opinion!

Almost direct sound of conventional speakers don't reach the listener because woofers are angled and sounds are crossing and crashing each other at front (3~7', "B" area) of speakers. When sounds crash and hit each other, sounds loss much musical energy. And almost sounds are bounced to walls/ceiling many times and reach to the listener. Therefore, whether recording or live, regular speakers' sound laid back, bright, dry wall sounds, and veiled. (*except remarkable Peter A's natural sound system). To hear better, the listener must close to 5~7 ft to speakers to catch edges of crashed direct sounds (yellow spot).
sound-angle-bomb.jpg

The sounds of Wavetouch speakers are more direct to the listener with WT plugs. WT plugs re-direct the sound to the listener before sounds crosses and crashes each other.
WT-soundwww.jpg

Therefore, Wavetouch speakers are less influenced by room acoustics and sound no veil, no brightness, and more natural vocals (mid-range). Alex/Wavetouch

Attachments

• right-sound2.jpg
    right-sound2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 8

Wavetouch

Jul 4, 2022
Los Angeles, CA
www.wavetouchaudio.com
unfortunately I'd never know that by listening to the video sound.
Human ears and brain are complex enough to figure out the difference between the real and video sound. Though it might requires some repeat training or experience to hear clearly like me. Also, the recorder sounds always persistent.

For ex.,) You recorded $5k system and great $1mil system w/ a same recorder. When you replay them, you will hear and remember the difference between good and bad sounds. Then watching few more videos, you will find what a good sound sounds like. Also, you should buy at least $30 Logitech comp speaker to hear clearly. Don't rely on lab top or cell phone speakers. If you still can't catch the difference, you should find other hobbies.

A'phile Junkie (YT id.) recorded my room and others at The SHOW 2023. FYI, AJ and I sometimes lost in conversation because the music was very loud and we couldn't hear each other well. I didn't know what I was saying few times.

Other room at the SHOW,

Peter A's natural sound system as a reference.

Other room at the SHOW,

My recording.

More at AJs https://www.youtube.com/@AudiophileJunkie/videos
Alex/Wavetouch

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Not to disparage your efforts, but it is next to impossible to get any idea how a system sounds when picked up by microphones in the room. Every system tends to sound like the next when this is done because we're hearing mostly the room. I wish I knew a solution to this problem but I don't. Even using a dummy head and listening on headphones is not all that informative. I'm sure your speakers sound great, but unfortunately I'd never know that by listening to the video sound.

I actually think a simple iPhone video can demonstrate much about how an actual system sounds. Yes, the room influence is usually captured too, but rooms also sound different, and this can be picked up. I think the reason many system videos sound similar is because many systems sound fairly similar, especially today, and if the source is typical streaming, even more so.

Systems at shows often use similar, simple, processed singer with one or two instruments type of recordings. These do not really test the system. Play some very dynamic complex music like a string quartet, piano sonata or full symphony, or choir, and things become interesting.

The more complex the recording, the higher resolution the source and system, the more varied is the sound of a system video. Dynamics, nuance, balance, tone, and clarity can come across over YouTube on a phone video.

I agree there is a similarity to the videos in post #1, but I think that is the result of the talent show YouTube recordings from digital sources mostly played back in hotel rooms. The conditions are similar, so the sound is similar.

There is a WBF system video thread that shows three or four systems all playing Peggy Lee's Fever. The systems all sound quite different to me, and IMO, the videos are informative. Check out this link, posts #429 and #430: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/what-do-you-think-of-this-video.31056/page-22#post-725717

Just listen to my two videos of the same recording in the same room and how different they sound after a couple of changes made in the past two years:

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Alex, tell us if you think the various videos of your system and speaker/cables sound like what you hear listening live to your system in the room. How is the sound similar and different?

Also, what are some of the details of your room and system? It seems that your speakers are designed to be oriented directly at the listener. How does toe-in effect the sound?

Wavetouch

Jul 4, 2022
Los Angeles, CA
www.wavetouchaudio.com
I actually think a simple iPhone video can demonstrate much about how an actual system sounds. Yes, the room influence is usually captured too, but rooms also sound different, and this can be picked up. I think the reason many system videos sound similar is because many systems sound fairly similar, especially today, and if the source is typical streaming, even more so.

Systems at shows often use similar, simple, processed singer with one or two instruments type of recordings. These do not really test the system. Play some very dynamic complex music like a string quartet, piano sonata or full symphony, or choir, and things become interesting.

The more complex the recording, the higher resolution the source and system, the more varied is the sound of a system video. Dynamics, nuance, balance, tone, and clarity can come across over YouTube on a phone video.

I agree there is a similarity to the videos in post #1, but I think that is the result of the talent show YouTube recordings from digital sources mostly played back in hotel rooms. The conditions are similar, so the sound is similar.

There is a WBF system video thread that shows three or four systems all playing Peggy Lee's Fever. The systems all sound quite different to me, and IMO, the videos are informative. Check out this link, posts #429 and #430: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/what-do-you-think-of-this-video.31056/page-22#post-725717

Just listen to my two videos of the same recording in the same room and how different they sound after a couple of changes made in the past two years:

In post #429, among 3 videos, I like 2nd (Vitavox) the best to my ears and it sounds the closest to the original music. In fact, it is remarkably same sound to the original music with addition of lovely room acoustics. Those wooden panels around the fireplace work great. You have great ears and skill to control sounds. Without those wooden panels, the vocal is bit lost but still nice.

Yes. Mics can't lie and they sound exactly the real life sound (*to my ears. YMMV.). Human ears are often biased and confused many times. Alex/Wavetouch

Reactions: Kingrex

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Alex, my point with the various videos is simply to share examples of how The differences between various iPhone videos playing the same song. To me, this demonstrates that the iPhone is good enough to pick up differences between systems and rooms and even smaller differences like different cartridges and room treatments in my two videos.

Can you play a digital version of this recording through your system in your room for us? This way we can get a better understanding of how your system and speakers sound in your room rather than in show conditions.

Wavetouch

Jul 4, 2022
Los Angeles, CA
www.wavetouchaudio.com
Alex, tell us if you think the various videos of your system and speaker/cables sound like what you hear listening live to your system in the room. How is the sound similar and different?

Also, what are some of the details of your room and system? It seems that your speakers are designed to be oriented directly at the listener. How does toe-in effect the sound?
My ears are trained with video sounds for a long time. I record the speakers' sound when I tune them. The recording with smaller computer speaker's sound is easier to hear the difference. I tuned my computer speakers too for accurate sound evaluation.
Mics sound exactly the real life sound to my ears. YMMV.

My room is 14' x 22' x 8' with full of stuff. 2 sofas, carpet floor, popcorn ceiling, a big fireplace (* wide stones on fireplace wall from floor to ceiling) takes whole left back corner of room. minimum acoustic foams on 1st reflection points only on walls.

Toe-in effect is sensitive and clear. My ears are 11ft from speakers and I see straight lines of insides speaker cabinets. More toe-in brings more focus on vocals but I want some sounds to go other directions and come back to me (for fuller sound). It is easy to find the best toe-in angle since sound images of speakers are so clear. Alex/Wavetouch

Reactions: PeterA

Wavetouch

Jul 4, 2022
Los Angeles, CA
www.wavetouchaudio.com
Alex, my point with the various videos is simply to share examples of how The differences between various iPhone videos playing the same song. To me, this demonstrates that the iPhone is good enough to pick up differences between systems and rooms and even smaller differences like different cartridges and room treatments in my two videos.

Can you play a digital version of this recording through your system in your room for us? This way we can get a better understanding of how your system and speakers sound in your room rather than in show conditions.
Yes. I will record and post YT downloaded video of Fever in a couple of days.
Alex/Wavetouch

Reactions: PeterA

Wavetouch

Jul 4, 2022
Los Angeles, CA
www.wavetouchaudio.com
Hi, What is the crossover point of your speaker? Thanks
I read your post just now. It is 2.7k Hz.

New videos.

Check out my 4 power cords comparison video. Click times (18:53 WTPC), (4:46 JPS) to hear different cables. More time marks are in comment section.

Reactions: hopkins

Wavetouch

Jul 4, 2022
Los Angeles, CA
www.wavetouchaudio.com
I struggle hearing differences between power cords in that video you mentioned, but it is a difficult exercise (at least for me). Regardless, your speakers sound nice through these videos.
I thank you for listening my video and your honest feedback!

It is a power cord change which is 3~7% of whole sound (small portion).

The form of difference is mainly the sound coloration, glare, and veil which are subtle. But one is clean & better to listen and another is a glare/veil & smeared vocal in comparison.

Many a'philes took many years (decades?) to earn the open ears. For me long ago, it took me few months to hear the true sound of a special gear. This video is a good sound and it won't take that a long time, but it may not be a minute to earn open-ears for the cable sound difference.

To hear cable sounds,
1) click time 18:53 WTPC ,
2) make a small window. So, you can see the video screen and 2 time marks (in description) together in the same screen.

3) Click (18:53 WTPC) or (4:46 JPS) to hear the sound. Two sounds switch quickly. This makes easier to hear the sound changes.

Last edited:

Wavetouch

Jul 4, 2022
Los Angeles, CA
www.wavetouchaudio.com
Continue from last post,
below video (3 PC sound test) is with male voice which may be easier to hear the difference.

The form of difference (subtle) is mainly the sound coloration, brightness, and veil. One is clean & better to listen and another is a bright/veil & smeared vocal in comparison.

To hear cable sounds,
1) click this 13:22 WTPC ,
2) make a small window. So, you can see the video screen and time marks (13:22 WTPC --- 3:46 JPS) together in the same screen.

3) Click (13:22 WTPC ) or (3:46 JPS) to hear the cable sound. Two sounds switch quickly. This makes easier to hear the sound changes.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing