Musk unveils plans for $10 billion Hyperloop transportation system

'Hyperloop' travel idea gains fans if not backers....

By Justin Pritchard, Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk urged the public to polish sketch plans he released last week for a "Hyperloop" that would shoot capsules full of people at the speed of sound through elevated tubes connecting Los Angeles and San Francisco.
From tinkerers to engineers, the race is on.
A Utah firm hustled out a model using a 3-D printer. A Pennsylvania company is testing a virtual Hyperloop with sophisticated computer software. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals wants ad space inside capsules, and in San Francisco, enthusiasts interested in "making Hyperloop a reality" will meet over beers.
Meanwhile, Musk himself has shelved the project and returned to his established future-is-here transportation ventures: luxury electric car maker Tesla Motors Inc. and the rocket-building company SpaceX.

In principle, the Hyperloop is doable.
The concept pulls together several proven technologies: Capsules would float on a thin cushion of air and draw on magnetic attraction and solar power to zoom through a nearly air-free tube. Because there would be so little wind resistance, they could top 700 mph and make the nearly 400-mile trip in about half an hour.
Actual construction would hinge on challenges far more complex than advanced engineering — those involving money and politics.
The $6 billion Musk projected as the cost was a terrific lowball to some. Others suggested his timeframe of a decade to completion was naive — that getting political backing and environmental clearances, much less land to build the tubes on, would be hugely time-consuming.
Conspicuously absent was a commitment that Musk would sink substantial money into the project anytime soon — if ever. On a call with reporters, Musk suggested he might build a "subscale" test version in a few years if the idea was floundering.

One thing Musk was clear about: The public should participate in questioning, modifying and, ultimately, perfecting his proposal (http://www.spacex.com/hyperloop).
And in that respect, there has been no lack of enthusiasm.
At the computer simulation software firm ANSYS, engineers are designing and testing a virtual model.
The goal is to get a "quick and dirty" sense of how much wind drag a capsule would encounter, and thus how fast it could go, said Sandeep Sovani, the company's director of Global Automotive Industry.

Sovani said he has long been intrigued by tube travel (an idea that predates the Hyperloop by a century), and wanted to do a model both out of intellectual curiosity and on the chance that Musk does eventually go looking for partners.
"What I want to do," Sovani said, "is live in Florida and work in Michigan and go back home every day."
At 41, he figures it just became a realistic dream.

I love that line: "The public should participate"

'Hyperloop' travel idea gains fans if not backers....

By Justin Pritchard, Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk urged the public
Conspicuously absent was a commitment that Musk would sink substantial money into the project anytime soon — if ever.

One thing Musk was clear about: The public should participate in questioning, modifying and, ultimately, perfecting his proposal

This is a science fiction version of a PALIMPSEST.

MY translation: Elon Musk will just sponge off the taxpayers & walk away with another fortune. This new fortune will happen whether the project is a success or failure.

Take a look at professional sports: Taxpayers %wise get hit for the cost of the stadiums, and the infrastructure and continual costs that support them. Then accounting for all the team owners - they walk away with billions & the same for the players. And what do the fans get: $100's per game cost & what about that 'super' food & beer the fans pay out all their body orifices for. AND do not forget about the ever increasing tax burden.

my eyes are open,
zz.

This is a science fiction version of a PALIMPSEST.

MY translation: Elon Musk will just sponge off the taxpayers & walk away with another fortune. This new fortune will happen whether the project is a success or failure.

Take a look at professional sports: Taxpayers %wise get hit for the cost of the stadiums, and the infrastructure and continual costs that support them. Then accounting for all the team owners - they walk away with billions & the same for the players. And what do the fans get: $100's per game cost & what about that 'super' food & beer the fans pay out all their body orifices for. AND do not forget about the ever increasing tax burden.

my eyes are open,
zz.

well I think eyes should be open but not sure I agree with how you categorize the man who IMO is a creative genius

follow the money, the Taxpayer is subsidizing approximately 1/2 of every car sold.

well I think eyes should be open but not sure I agree with how you categorize the man who IMO is a creative genius

Every Tesla you see, you paid for. If you follow the money, the Taxpayer is subsidizing approximately 1/2 of every car sold. * A genius with his hand in my wallet.

Let us break it down:
$465 million dollar Department of Energy loan paid in full, and with interest to US taxpayers, >>>>>thanks<<<<< to a recent stock offering that raised almost a billion dollars for the company.
But let us look deeper:
Tesla unveiled the Tesla Model S all-electric sedan on March 26, 2009 with an anticipated base price of US$57,400 before any government tax credit or subsidies.
The Tesla Roadster has a base price of US$109,000,[18] €84,000 or GB£86,950 >>>>>(not including numerous tax incentives, credits and waivers)<<<<<
Model S sedan, began production for the 2012 model year with a base price of US$57,400 (or US$49,900[18][34] >>>>>after a US federal tax credit), roughly ***half*** that of the Roadster<<<<<.
The company previously had a presence in Singapore from July 2010 to February 2011 >>>>>before it left the country due to a lack of tax break exemptions from the Singaporean government.[152][153] Without tax breaks, the Roadster retailed between SGD$400,000 and SGD500,000 while it would have retailed at SGD$250,000.[153] <<<<<

Therefore, if you follow the money, the Taxpayer is subsidizing approximately 1/2 of every car sold.

When I built businesses in my early days the government did not hand me $, the government did not provide a 50% subsidy of everything I sold. It sure would have been easier.
So, maybe a creative genius to some people, but I see a different type of genius with his hand in my wallet.

Wikipedia deserves lots of credit here for faster research.

Respectfully,
zz.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing