Musical Fidelity kW SACD player Limited Edition #113

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This is the only high-end SACD player I have ever owned. It has a unique dual output stage: one tube and one solid-state.

I have the original box and all documentation. There is not a single scratch on the component. I am asking $2,900. Please feel free to make an offer.

From the Musical Fidelity website:

The kW SACD player is a big, big step forward. First off, it uses a cutting edge state-of-the-art dual differential DAC system, which gives incredible definition, linearity, noise ratio, bandwidth and distortion performance. We have not come across anything from anywhere that even comes close to this level of sophistication and refinement.

There is a completely separate DAC and filter stage for CD and SACD. This allows us to optimise the characteristics of each DAC to suit the format perfectly.

The output stage(s) is really interesting. There are two output stages in the kW SACD, operating at the same time. One is a super-quality tube stage, using our amazing mu-Vista tube, and the other is a Class A transistor circuit. Each is an incredible performer and both have truly excellent sound, but they are slightly, ever so subtly, different. Who is to say which one is correct? The idea is that you can connect both output stages to your amplifier and switch between them to select the perfect balance to suit your tastes and recording. Interesting and useful.

The power supply arrangements are sophisticated, using full choke regulation and every technique we know to ensure that each stage of every section of the player has virtually perfect isolation from any other. All well and good, but how does it sound?

Actually it is utterly gob-smacking. The sound is lucid, clear and sweet and the bottom end is just breathtaking. Even at low volumes, there is a heft and tightness to the bottom octave which is quite extraordinary. The imaging is tactile without being 'in your face'. The depth, width and height of the soundstage is much in evidence.

If I had not known what I was listening to when I auditioned the kW SACD, I would have thought it was a perfect vinyl set-up. It is that good. It has made me think about all the differences between analog and digital. I know that when I attended Antony's last recording, the sound quality 'in the box' was breathtaking. We were listening to the live digital stream from the microphones in the hall. It sounded nothing like what you hear on standard CDs. I know that memory can be terribly unreliable, but it was interesting that the sound the kW SACD makes seems to be the sound I heard at the recording session. In short, the kW SACD is amazing. It is a limited edition of 500 pieces for the world.​

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
As a huge Musical Fidelity fan (bought my first piece around 25 years ago) I hope this finds a good home. Those high end tubed Musical Fidelity components are superb components and something special.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Hi Ron,

Would be very interested if it had a coax digital input.

Appears that it does not.

Can you confirm.

Best

PS: Lots of internet buzz on the transport issues and parts availability. Can it still be serviced for laser / transport problems?

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
http://www.musicalfidelity.com/uploads/manuals/English/kWsacd_eng.pdf

I see only a "transport digital output coaxial."

I saw those transport issues on the Internet before I bought the kW new. If I remember correctly the transport issues discussed on the internet relate to a transport mechanism used by MF on one or more of its other models of CD player, and not to the transport on the top-of-the-line kW.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Ron's confirmation is of course correct; this was Musical Fidelity's all out assault to make a reference quality CD/SACD disc player, without adding digital inputs to provide DAC functionality. GLWS Ron! :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing