Murasakino “Sumile” - New Cartridge.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Red Sparrow: It is a very fussy cart so be warned. If it works, it is incredible as though no cart is there. If it doesn’t it will sound super thin and sterile.
The Red Sparrow I had on my Kuzma for a two week demo. Fantastic cart. I can't unhear it now. Interesting though, I didn't find it to be fussy. I did find it very sensitive to VTA. But once you nail VTA, which wasn't difficult to do, boy does it sound wonderful. Soundstage depth like you've never heard. Ever. Detail and dynamism and yet never fatiguing. I did think it was maybe a touch lacking in the bottom end. Certainly not "thin and sterile" though. Not even close.

One downside: it was a very low rider. So low in fact that I couldn't use the Kuzma periphery ring because the Red Sparrow body would contact it.

mjsdb

Feb 26, 2020
Hi All, I'm thinking of purchasing the Sumile, but after reading the reviews and comments here, am wondering if could be a "big bold seat of your pants" kind of presentation which would be nice for a while, but fatiguing over time? If so..not really my thing. Regards.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Hi All, I'm thinking of purchasing the Sumile, but after reading the reviews and comments here, am wondering if could be a "big bold seat of your pants" kind of presentation which would be nice for a while, but fatiguing over time? If so..not really my thing. Regards.

from which comment did you get this message from?

In comparison to many other very popular carts (like colibri, Atlas and so on) the Sumile is very well balanced. But May be the Sumile is too boring for some listeners, because of this :)

Anyhow, you will not find many in the used market , which means, that the most owners still have use it or have it as part of their Cart collection.

Reactions: amadeus

mjsdb

Feb 26, 2020
Thanks Shakti.

No particular message, just the fact that some say it is "live" sounding, and no mention of a relaxed sound in any reviews I have read.

I believe I will purchase it.

Regards

mjsdb

Feb 26, 2020
Hi,
I'm also wondering if anyone has tried the Murisakino SUT, or could recommend other manufacturers SUT's which would work well with this cartridge, and other low internal impedance cartridges.
Apologies if this topic has already been covered somewhere else.
Regards.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
have a look into the audiomarkt.de marketplace.From France a dedicated japanese step up for Sumile is on offer

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
if you contact the French step up,
greetings to Jean Christoph, reliable seller
Juergen

goldeneraguy

Dec 11, 2012
mjsdb, I await your thoughts .
If your audio bias' are anything like mine you will be amazed at what this beauty can do.
Enjoy

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Oh wow,

I'm so happy more and more "discovered" this wonderful cart!

till this day i think it must be one of my FAV!

Awesome musical sound cartridge!

Reactions: shakti

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Where does the sound character fall into for this cartridge after break-in, in regards to VdH Colibri MS Strad?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Where does the sound character fall into for this cartridge after break-in, in regards to VdH Colibri MS Strad?
difficult to compare, as both Carts do require different tonearms (compliance is very different) and different PhonoPre set up, Sumile likes Step Up, low impedance, high output. The MS likes direct Phono Pre connection, high impedance, very high output.
So right in the beginning, there are many variables more, that just the 2 carts.

Putting both carts in a good environment, you can enjoy both a lot. MS gives you an unforgiving point of view into the quality of your records. If you have great records, you will enjoy the the power and the energy of the MS. But very often, some say too often, you will face a situation, where the sybillants will be too prominent.

The Sumile is more a kind of musical magician, a musical allrounder. It Is beautiful voiced in a very natural direction and has a nice flow.
You can hear with the Sumile hours and hours with a smile :)

If you like to have a flavor of both, I can recommend to listen to a Soundsmith Hyperion OCL. You need again a more heavy tonearm, like your Kuzma, and preferable a direct connection (no transformer) to your Phonopre.

Reactions: amadeus

montesquieu

Jan 27, 2019
Late to the party here but enjoying the Murasakino Sumile enormously. Superbly balanced performer, phenomenal sense of 'rightness'. I'm actually finding it a very hard cartridge to describe. Refined but energetic, detailed without any sense of being over-analytical, rich in terms of timbre and density without being thick or over-saturated. Certainly the best cartridge I've had in the setup, though on chamber music the Madake runs it close for expressiveness and communication.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi Tom, +1 on your fantastic Sumile. I'll let you into a little secret, I thought your Madake just had the edge. But the sound of both was really exemplary on tone, and especially texture.
I felt the Madake had the edge with a smidgeon more bite or attack.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Late to the party here but enjoying the Murasakino Sumile enormously. Superbly balanced performer, phenomenal sense of 'rightness'. I'm actually finding it a very hard cartridge to describe. Refined but energetic, detailed without any sense of being over-analytical, rich in terms of timbre and density without being thick or over-saturated. Certainly the best cartridge I've had in the setup, though on chamber music the Madake runs it close for expressiveness and communication.

Have you heard the Miyajima Destiny? I was wondering how it compares to the Madake.

Last edited:

montesquieu

Jan 27, 2019
No I haven’t. I heard the Saboten L and preferred the Madake though to be fair it sounded a lot more ‘modern’ and might be preferable to some. I’d love to hear the Destiny but not aware of any in my circle in the U.K.

Reactions: iaxel

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I have the Madake and bought a Fuuga. Had a problem with the Fuuga and can change it to Sumile. I have a transimpedance preamp now so I prefer low resistance cartridges. Fuuga is 2ohm and sumile is 1.2ohm. Should I go for an exchange of fuuga or does anyone think sumile is a better cartridge. It has an advantage over fuuga with lower resistance but that is just one point and not it is not a very big gap. I have a standart length Kuzma 4 point arm.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I have the Madake and bought a Fuuga. Had a problem with the Fuuga and can change it to Sumile. I have a transimpedance preamp now so I prefer low resistance cartridges. Fuuga is 2ohm and sumile is 1.2ohm. Should I go for an exchange of fuuga or does anyone think sumile is a better cartridge. It has an advantage over fuuga with lower resistance but that is just one point and not it is not a very big gap. I have a standart length Kuzma 4 point arm.

What problem did you have with the Fuuga?

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
What problem did you have with the Fuuga?
It was lost in post and came after about 2 months. I think it got damaged in the process because the channel balance was off about 7db. Maybe the coils got out of alignment.

montesquieu

Jan 27, 2019
It was lost in post and came after about 2 months. I think it got damaged in the process because the channel balance was off about 7db. Maybe the coils got out of alignment.

I had that issue with my first Ikeda 9TT - its replacement was fine.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing