Munich HighEnd 2024

I returned today to see my assessment improved. It did not. If Louis Armstrong were alive today to hear the speakers reproduce the well trodden audiophile classic, St. James infirmary he would’ve died a quick death from embarrassment.. And I thought horn production was supposed to be a strength of horn loud speakers? His horn came from somewhere within the space of about 20 ft.², no matter where I listened. Instrumental tone was simply unimpressive from bottom to the near top, at which point the ribbon tweeter may have saved them a bit. Just not my cup of tea I guess. But they sure are pretty.
I listened to exactly the same audiophile classic at Aries Cerat on last years HE Munich. They exhibited in one of the standard sized Atrium rooms and used their Aurora speakers. It sounded terrific, one of the best rooms of the show.

Please check out Acappella and Tune Audio.
I also listened to Tune Audio and I will listen to Acappella tomorrow.

This year I did not find WE horns it seems they are not there.

What guys are saying here about AC is not quite right. From about 100Hz and up there wasn’t much to compete with it. Below that there were bass issues, room and setup related I think but it was muddy and overripe.

I was not alone, me and three of my friends listened to AC two times yesterday and also today.
Midrange was also dead , no dynamics , I asked my friends and all of them were disappointed about this sound.

Please consider I do not say AC is dead , I say the sound was dead, maybe the condition was not good.

Last edited:
Can anyone comment on the sound quality with the new NAGRA streamer in the main NAGRA room F130?
Thx

How is the Kharma room and system. I see they built a room in a room. It looked nice. The audiophile junkie video didn't sound good. And I wish Jason would get a microphone so you can hear the guest answer queations. As usual hes asking about drivers and paint but you can't hear a word the guest says so I have to move on.

Jays Audiolab video of Gryphon and their TT was well produced. Did anyone see the table in person or hear the room?
IMG_9337.jpeg

Reactions: SCAudiophile
Fm Acoustics 818 amplifier new design.
Probably the best solid state in the bizz together with the 266 pre
I was there but FM never impressed me.
Analog playback + FM electronics/speakers

IMG_9526.jpeg

I think audio shows can not help us alot, there are many many variables and the right judgment is not easy.
Most rooms never sounded good.
The first day the Kharma was awful but the next day it was better.

I liked the AN room;

IMG_9519.jpeg

HEADPHONES
Hifi Deluxe, Studio 6 displays some headphones.
Could anyone please tell me what are the demo'ed Stax and Dan Clark models?

Stax SR-X9000 ? Tim Mallin sold his one as he found that with that model, Stax has become too bright (and lean?). What do you think?

How does the demo'ed Dan Clark model sound in comparison?

(On classical music, if possible... ;-)

Many thanks.
(I wish to inform someone who is in the MOC, and lacks of time).

Quite by chance, I stumble upon OCD HI-Fi Guy (Mike Powell). Never heard about him before.
First he spends 5 minutes bluntly criticizing many, many rooms.
Then the first he liked (very much) was: Nagra & Stenheim
Did you like it too?
(there are several room, at least 2 Nagra & Stenheim rooms)

I quickly checked: Mike Powell runs an audio consultancy business, but is no Stenheim dealer.

(the About tab in his YT channel show he owns modded Analysis Audio Amphitryon;
I own the Epsilon, non-modified)

Last edited:
Reactions: OLADRA
What about Odeon, this year?
ROOM A 4.2, E210
They demo the Carnegie.

Reactions: Sharok
Hifi Deluxe, ROOM 136 displays a loudspeaker which is one of a kind: Ilumnia.
the cone has NO spider, and NO suspension.
It has been awarded by a Diapason d'Or in the French classical music magazine, Diapason.

Worth to be checked, imho, if at least they are lucky with the setup...
(I heard them several times in Brussels)

DETAILS

[Image: 008-Ilumnia%20Magister%20mk%202%20-%20vo...edited.jpg]

[Image: 67443d_8743e5478da94419a46c439277b8eceb~mv2.gif]

[Image: exploded-view-driver.png]

99,7% linearity
[Image: Lems%20vs%20Classic.jpg]

Ilumnia LEMS* 8" midbass driver with electromagnetic suspension (no spider, no surround)
* LEMS or linear excursion motor system
One of the world’s best electrodynamic driver in terms of :

Linearity : > 99% linear at full excursion (8mm)
Resonance : no mechanical coupling of cone to basket, no surround, no spider
Distortion (no spider, no surround, minimum of moving parts and mechanical connections)

Key elements :

Not physically restrained by the mechanical suspension of spider and surround
Very low moving mass (only 15 grammes)
Low kinetic energy of moving mass
Less inertia problems

[Image: A1qS6K9l.png]

[Image: 006-Ilumnia-Magister-mk-2-lagen.jpg?etag...quality=85]

[Image: LTEyOTkuanBlZw.jpeg]

[Image: award.jpg]
I think Fred Crane used to distribute these in the US?

How does the A*Stellar turntable look in person?
Both are massive, but the new one, with its stand, is a Goliath, making the other version seem diminutive by comparison. It's anything but small.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing