MSB Select II arrival

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I do have one of those Korgs as well, that I actually bought from BruceB at one of the shows!
Playing the LP (and recording it on the Korg) is the fun and easy part... The annoying bit comes later, when you have to split and edit the tracks, add metadata, etc... Time consuming, but the end result is worth it, as the rips (on 2xDSD) are pretty good quality!

cheers,
alex

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
Hello Matej,
This is a little bit off topic but, please, post here your findings about the sinergy between the Select DAC2 and the M204 powers. I'm still waiting for the arrival of my Select but those powers are on my radar too.
Thanks.
Armsan

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
my minds eye tells me I have that latest software. from scrolling through the menu '2.1.2.0' is what I recall seeing. tonight when I get home I will check. thanks for the tip in any case.....I hope I don't and I get a 'free' :D performance upgrade.

turns out my Firmware is the old one, so yippee! I get a performance increase.

I've reached out to SGM to assist the upgrade since I don't currently have an SPDIF input set up to load it (it's not designed to load over USB......even though it's a USB world these days). i hate it when my lack of fundamental tech skills are on display, but it's reality.

Matej Isak

Jan 20, 2013
EU
www.monoandstereo.com
turns out my Firmware is the old one, so yippee! I get a performance increase.

I've reached out to SGM to assist the upgrade since I don't currently have an SPDIF input set up to load it (it's not designed to load over USB......even though it's a USB world these days). i hate it when my lack of fundamental tech skills are on display, but it's reality.

Mike,

actually it's very easy. You just need a bit perfect playback of the update file (waw), so either Roon or Itunes works. Basically, you just play the file as the song and everything is done automatically.

Matej Isak

Jan 20, 2013
EU
www.monoandstereo.com
Hello Matej,
This is a little bit off topic but, please, post here your findings about the sinergy between the Select DAC2 and the M204 powers. I'm still waiting for the arrival of my Select but those powers are on my radar too.
Thanks.
Armsan

Hello Armsan,

will do, once I'll get them.

Matej Isak

Jan 20, 2013
EU
www.monoandstereo.com

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike,

actually it's very easy. You just need a bit perfect playback of the update file (waw), so either Roon or Itunes works. Basically, you just play the file as the song and everything is done automatically.

thanks. I did figure it out and it's loaded. I was interpreting the instructions for the SPDIF to mean I could not use the USB with the SGM which was wrong of me.

I just had to find a USB stick, install the file, insert it into my NAS and load it. it took about an hour for it to appear on Roon. the first time I loaded it, I had the setting in repeat mode and it kicked the load out somehow. then I took the 'repeat' setting off Roon and tried it again and it worked.

only been playing music for a few minutes; first blush is it's more 'there'. vocals more open and expressive.

thanks for the notice about it.

Matej Isak

Jan 20, 2013
EU
www.monoandstereo.com
thanks. I did figure it out and it's loaded. I was interpreting the instructions for the SPDIF to mean I could not use the USB with the SGM which was wrong of me.

I just had to find a USB stick, install the file, insert it into my NAS and load it. it took about an hour for it to appear on Roon. the first time I loaded it, I had the setting in repeat mode and it kicked the load out somehow. then I took the 'repeat' setting off Roon and tried it again and it worked.

only been playing music for a few minutes; first blush is it's more 'there'. vocals more open and expressive.

thanks for the notice about it.

Mike, I'm glad it worked out for you.

Yes, the new update adds more of "being there" presence and there is an overall shift in the natural transparency. The upgrade also brings the benefits for each sampling frequency. From what I understood all of them are now treated separately. This introduces a step up with the Redbook playback, Tidal etc.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mike, are you pondering the dual mono Powerbases, or going to decide first on the SGM v Renderer debate?
And if you do go Powerbases, ie making the Select II in effect a 3- chassis job, are you looking at 3 active platforms, Herzan or Tana, or going to stack all 3 vertically on 1 platform?

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Hi Mike,

Many thanks for the welcome and nice words about the website. Yes, I went forward with purchase of the Select DAC II, but still missing the dual mono power supplies :).

The latest upgrade came out few days ago: http://www.msbtech.com/updates/Select_DAC_Rev2_1_Final.wav

It's Version 2.1.2.0 and quite a step up...

When all my summer activities are over I am going to try those amps and "maybe" go to the dual power supplies. I will see. How are you enjoying those amps? I too am going direct into my amp from Select II which I prefer over my prior REF10 preamp. Can you give me some personal insight into your experiences with those MSB amps direct from the Select II and what if any preamp you replaced? My speakers were sounded using ARC gear and are very sensitive but I have heard great things about those MSB amps especially when mated to the select II direct.

Thanks
Howie

Matej Isak

Jan 20, 2013
EU
www.monoandstereo.com
When all my summer activities are over I am going to try those amps and "maybe" go to the dual power supplies. I will see. How are you enjoying those amps? I too am going direct into my amp from Select II which I prefer over my prior REF10 preamp. Can you give me some personal insight into your experiences with those MSB amps direct from the Select II and what if any preamp you replaced? My speakers were sounded using ARC gear and are very sensitive but I have heard great things about those MSB amps especially when mated to the select II direct.

Thanks
Howie

Hello Howie,

sadly I didn't have a chance yet to pair the MSB Select DAC II with M204 amplifiers. It might happen soon and I'll surely write up.

So far I've preferred (prefer) the preamplifier between the Select II and power amplifiers, but this is surely connected with the gain synergy.

The purist in me strives for this direct (DAC-AMP) scenario, but I need to find the proper match. As you, I've heard that M204 and Select pairs perfectly....

My friend bought Select II with both power supplies and the difference in performance is not small at all. So, for me, it's not the matter of if, but when :)...

Hope this helps...

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, I'm glad it worked out for you.

Yes, the new update adds more of "being there" presence and there is an overall shift in the natural transparency. The upgrade also brings the benefits for each sampling frequency. From what I understood all of them are now treated separately. This introduces a step up with the Redbook playback, Tidal etc.

my first impression with the update was 'more expressive' vocals, but I like your term 'natural transparency' too, that to me, means the a similar/same thing. more textural shading or whatever (less processed?.....or more correctly processed?) just makes the music a little more real. more analog like. more of the natural expression of the music comes through. looking forward to deep dives into each sampling frequency.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, are you pondering the dual mono Powerbases, or going to decide first on the SGM v Renderer debate?
And if you do go Powerbases, ie making the Select II in effect a 3- chassis job, are you looking at 3 active platforms, Herzan or Tana, or going to stack all 3 vertically on 1 platform?

Marc,

as I said, adding the second power base is 'on my radar' like all/every other MSB Select II owner (as we can read above). and those other things (active platforms, which ones, how many, and where ) are all also on my radar. when the time comes i'll have to prioritize what's doable and when.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mike, please excuse me if I beat this subject to death for one last time LOL.
I understand your ambivalence to declaring any definitive winner on the analog v digital debate.
And I'm still unsure re the digital rips of vinyl concept.
But the fact you're listening to these rips suggests to me the Select II must be extremely palatable, and as close to vinyl as any digital could be.
Otherwise, surely you'd be compelled to listen to the vinyl itself wherever possible.
Or is there something in the uber convenience of these rips that fully counterbalances any perceived shortfall of pure analog to AD-DA analog, and makes yr highly structured listening playlists the desired way to listen for hours at a time.
Please put me out of my misery and tell me I've finally got the concept

Last edited:

Matej Isak

Jan 20, 2013
EU
www.monoandstereo.com
my first impression with the update was 'more expressive' vocals, but I like your term 'natural transparency' too, that to me, means the a similar/same thing. more textural shading or whatever (less processed?.....or more correctly processed?) just makes the music a little more real. more analog like. more of the natural expression of the music comes through. looking forward to deep dives into each sampling frequency.

Indeed Mike. Everything feels more real, with a bit more drama (realism) and sense of being there.

Processing part might be tied to the updated density (newly coded algorithms), that is daringly lurking towards the enticing attributes of the vinyl replay.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I've only heard the MSB DAC + mono amp combo at the shows as well, so I'm very excited to have them here in the store for the August 22nd event (launch of Wilson Audio's Alexia 2).

It'll be interesting, as we have/have had other amps, including ARC GS150s, to compare :)

cheers,
alex

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I've only heard the MSB DAC + mono amp combo at the shows as well, so I'm very excited to have them here in the store for the August 22nd event (launch of Wilson Audio's Alexia 2).

It'll be interesting, as we have/have had other amps, including ARC GS150s, to compare :)

cheers,
alex

Alex

Obviously you know this will be a very important comparison for me as you know I am currently using the GS150. I also know that MSB is soon releasing a new stereo amp with similar configuration of the dual monos. While my speakers were sounded with tubes in mind, I am really looking forward to seeing how the system would sound with Select II direct to a well mated solid state amp. I have no complaints with the Gs150 but do have an itch to see the "synergy" with the MSB amps or other SS for that matter.

I leave for Montana around when you are having your event so I look forward to your results so as to try to make arrangements to hear some SS amps upon my return. The new Soulutions stereo amp, D'Agostino (stereo & mono) and MSB are on my short list. The dual mono DartZeel out of my price range. My Nola Concert Grands actually are simple to drive and with ARC the Ref75 was a much better option than the dual mono Ref250s so my interest also has to do with if I keep the Concert Grands which all has to do with my "retirement" planning.

Thanks
Howie

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hi Howie!

You have a monster amp right now, trust me, it's going to take *a lot* to sound better than that GS150. And, as far as I know/can hear, there's perfect synergy with the output of the MSB Ref DAC, going directly to it (sans preamp right now).

I don't know how efficient your speakers are, but you should add the stereo darTZeel (NHB-108) to your list as well. The D'Agostinos will literally light a fire under your speakers, and show you stuff you never thought they were capable :) Just got a pair of M400 yesterday, and from cold, the things lit up the YGs like you wouldn't believe it. Those are serious must-listens.

If the MSB can somehow match the drive of the D'Agostinos with the beauty of the GS150/darTZeel, and that's what I expect them to do, it should be fun :)

cheers,
alex

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Hi Howie!

You have a monster amp right now, trust me, it's going to take *a lot* to sound better than that GS150. And, as far as I know/can hear, there's perfect synergy with the output of the MSB Ref DAC, going directly to it (sans preamp right now).

I don't know how efficient your speakers are, but you should add the stereo darTZeel (NHB-108) to your list as well. The D'Agostinos will literally light a fire under your speakers, and show you stuff you never thought they were capable :) Just got a pair of M400 yesterday, and from cold, the things lit up the YGs like you wouldn't believe it. Those are serious must-listens.

If the MSB can somehow match the drive of the D'Agostinos with the beauty of the GS150/darTZeel, and that's what I expect them to do, it should be fun :)

cheers,
alex

Alex

Thanks for the insight. My speakers are indeed very efficient and very easy to drive and why Carl was using the Ref75 with them initially, which is what I was using, until I heard the superb GS150 which I still think is the best ARC product I have ever owned ( and I have owned a ton).

Now that I have sold my Ref10 and going direct and hearing just how awesome the Select II is direct I just got a bug to see how SS would compare. Have they made any changes to that DartZeel stereo amp since it's introduction. It would more than likely have the guts to drive the Nola Concert Grands. My "big" concern is synergy being driven direct by the Select II. You have most of the amps I am interested and I know the Wilsons very well so I am interested in your findings before I start

Thanks
Howie

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Alex

Thanks for the insight. My speakers are indeed very efficient and very easy to drive and why Carl was using the Ref75 with them initially, which is what I was using, until I heard the superb GS150 which I still think is the best ARC product I have ever owned ( and I have owned a ton).

Now that I have sold my Ref10 and going direct and hearing just how awesome the Select II is direct I just got a bug to see how SS would compare. Have they made any changes to that DartZeel stereo amp since it's introduction. It would more than likely have the guts to drive the Nola Concert Grands. My "big" concern is synergy being driven direct by the Select II. You have most of the amps I am interested and I know the Wilsons very well so I am interested in your findings before I start

Thanks
Howie

Select II + darTZeel = awesome.

it's possible you could even use the 'zeel' 50ohm interface directly from the Select II to the dart 108. I'm working with Vince about that. the whole MSB 'less is more' engineering approach where eliminating compromising circuitry is key to finding the music, exactly mirrors the darTZeel approach. both companies have very low noise, but no global feedback or strangling of the musical flow.

I can't say how the dart 108 compares to the MSB amps since I've not compared them directly; but perceptions from shows it's of that same sonic direction.

and yes; there were 2 upgrades to the 108. back in 2005 it went from 'A' to 'B' and it became more stable into loads and an added XLR input.

then 2009-2011 the SNCP upgrade made a huge difference in power and controlling speakers. almost any 108 is a 'B' and has had the SNCP upgrade.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing