MSB Select II arrival

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Alex, unfortunately those atrocious 80s ponytails still exist in all their, ahem, glory ?

See, that's the beauty of digital. There's no full-size artwork with photos of musicians rocking their ponytails or similarly atrocious and ill-conceived fashion statements :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) You can now hear Close To The Edge and esp Aqualung in stunning clarity on cd (shocking, but true).

How can I listen to a blue-ray audio disk in a Vivaldi stack?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
How can I listen to a blue-ray audio disk in a Vivaldi stack?

You can't; you need to buy a universal player, like from Oppo or Sony that plays SACDs and DVD-Audio and Blu-ray Audio and 3D Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray.
Some of the best high res multichannel music recordings are on Blu-ray Audio, DVD-Audio, Blu-ray Video, and SACD. ...Like Yes, Santana, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Beck, The Stones, The Doors, Dylan and the rest of the gang. ...And of course the multitude of classical music on SACD (hybrid).

But you already new that.

Did you know that one of the Universal UHD BR players (plays all discs except HDCDs) is a Sony one (UBP-X800) for only $249 (on sale)?
https://www.sony.com/electronics/blu-ray-disc-players/ubp-x800
($199): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-UBP-X800-4K-3D-Ultra-HD-Blu-ray-DVD-HDR-Hi-Res-Player-WiFi/142463495939

Next is the Oppo 203 for $549: http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/
Or the analog hi-end brother, the 205 for $1,299: http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/

The only discs that those three above are not decoding are the HDCD ones; but everything else they do...hi-res stereo and multichannel.
Plus they can play hi-res audiofiles. And the Sony includes a bunch off apps as well. And, the Sony includes two UHD Blu-ray titles (a $50-60 value).

Sure, it ain't MSB or dCS or Trinity, but someone was just mentioning that Steve Wilson has remixed the classic Yes, Jethro Tull and King Crimson catalog.
And the three universal players above from Sony and Oppo can take care of that resolution.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
You can't; you need to buy a universal player, like from Oppo or Sony that plays SACDs and DVD-Audio and Blu-ray Audio and 3D Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray.
(...)

As far as I read the blue-ray version includes " Original Stereo Mix LPCM 192kHz/24bit flat transfer from original master tape". Is it possible to rip it to a flac?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
As far as I read the blue-ray version includes " Original Stereo Mix LPCM 192kHz/24bit flat transfer from original master tape". Is it possible to rip it to a flac?

The MSB Select II plays FLAC files? If it does cool, then check if the hi-res music files you want are avail. If not I am not knowledgeable in the art of ripping hi-res audio from Blu-rays. But from SACDs you can. Kal might know what's possible to rip from Blu-rays, or some young hi-tek audio nerds.

hifial

Apr 7, 2013

The MSB Select II plays FLAC files? If it does cool, then check if the hi-res music files you want are avail. If not I am not knowledgeable in the art of ripping hi-res audio from Blu-rays. But from SACDs you can. Kal might know what's possible to rip from Blu-rays, or some young hi-tek audio nerds.

Yes, it is possible to rip a Blu-ray Disc to a PC hard drive. You can choose flac or wave. There are a few programs that assist you with getting by the copy guard. I have several concerts that I did a few years ago (24/96) that sounded wonderful. And no I am not a young hi-tek audio nerd, just an older semi hi tech audio nerd. I lost the program I had used when I had a hard drive failure a few years ago and don't recall the name. If I come across it again or can recall it I will let you know.

I hope this helped.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Ked, we're all friends here mainly, I'm sure any comments can be directed to any number of threads.
Mike's current thread is a particularly good one to go around in circles re analog v digital
We've been doing this since 1983, so nothing new here.
I'm sure Mike doesn't mind.
The moment he posts more on the Select II experience, I'm sure we'll all chip in
---
Mike, my big interest in yr experience w this Dac is whether it enhances the experience of a Classic Rock album like Tommy.
I have absolutely zero interest in audiophile native dsd etc, and 100% interest in albums like Tommy, Close To The Edge, Disraeli Gears, Miles Smiles, A Love Supreme.
It's standards like these I'd love to know how the Select II deals with.

I listen to lots of 'golden age' rock, jazz and blues. mostly all analog based and I have the vinyl or tape for it too. but the Select II is fine enough to not have me have to pull out the analog. quite a few of those I have 2xdsd vinyl rips tape transfers and they are wonderful. I'm getting the vinyl nuance and space, and it's fully satisfying. nothing flat or edgy about it, and has that meaty heft when it needs to. progressive rock is to die for of all sorts, as it has such a low noise floor that all that space and scale comes all the way through. my system allows for every bit of authority any recording can have to come through.

next time I go down this road i'll get into my perceptions a little and flesh out my views on these type recordings as viewed through the Select II/SGM.

sure; the Select II can do 'sounds', 'demo tracks', female vocals, and small scale 'spare' music like no other digital in my experience, but the soul of the music comes through when it exists on the recording.

easily the best trick of any digital is to be able to be intimate with small scale and solo classical, yet do full justice to whole picture of full scale orchestral. I've already described how the Select II masters those. so the rest just happens.

Last edited:

bibo01

Nov 26, 2013

You'll need to do two things. 1) De-encrypt the files 2) Extract the de-encrypted files as .wav or .flac.

Rip Blu-ray Audio: MakeMKV (for #1 above), DVD Audio Extractor (for #2 above).

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Sorry Brad, I can only call it as I heard it
To show I'm not totally biased, my fave digital piece of all time is the multibit Marantz CD12/DA12 from late 80s

But did you hear the ones I mentioned or only mass market stuff from that time period?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Interesting. My take (in my smaller exposure to DACs, (about 12 above £10K, 20 below £10K) is what floats my boat and seems a constant is NOS, R-2R and filterless. YMMV but I wonder if going PCM - DSD in some DACs is a route to avoid the filtering? And some DACs that don't upsample or filter seem to get to the truth? This is NOT rocket science, in fact it is going back 20 years TBH.

Anyway, my road so far. Money situation has stopped my progress, but I am content with where I am at. If I had a bundle somewhere, I would love to hear the Kassandre as the tube output and design of that DAC is interesting to me. MSB never did it for me, not on the Analogue, or the Platinum IV, but I can imagine things have moved since then. Tastes come into this of course.

Quite possibly there are various routes to ultimate digital sound, the whole discrete DAC scene has exploded with the Soekris, Ares, Holo Spring DAC all under 3K. The next step is those manufactures to push a bit more and IMO the best digital sound could be available to all and under 10K. That is my opinion on digital right now. There is no magic sauce going on, pretty much all these designs are heading / converging to one place. YMMV and this is IMO.

I think the magic sauce with Kassandra is the no-holds-barred power supply design...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Brad, if you think the Marantz CD12/DA12 was mass market, think again.
It handily beat all the digital I heard at the time, incl the early Meridian 207 and 208.
And critically went toe to toe w the Linn Sondek LP12 tt which was King Of The Hill in the UK in the 80s.
At £2500 at the time, I was so impressed but so short of funds, I was ready to sell a kidney or two to fund purchase and ditch my lp collection (and in those days I was rabidly anti-digital).
I heard it recently and it remains totally amazing, but it's as rare as Hen's Teeth, and probably only kept together by gossamer thread being three decades old.
It remains Ken Kessler's digital player of choice.
I don't always rate his gear, but for him to have stuck w such an old piece must say something for it's quality.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I guess I have never heard a good DAC. Funny thing is I have heard a good number. None of them come close to vinyl yet for showing character difference. I do not suspect it is important for most, but I enjoy it.

I pretty much agree with you regarding this differentiation between recording quality. I heard greater contrast with my analog rig. However, there are some dacs that get awfully close...but not quite.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
let's not get confused here.

I had no problem with Spirit's (Marc) comments or questions about comparison's to vinyl (or anyone's); the issue I had was that he stated this;

he made the case that to justify it's price the Select II had to more than get close to vinyl. I disagreed.

at no point did I ask him to not post about this or anything.

Ked took a normal 'Ked-Spirit' shot at him suggesting he take it to Micro's thread......but that's just forum noise and we all should automatically filter that out:rolleyes:.

Now, wait a minute Mike, it is you yourself that has declared (in your system) that analog is the reference. Why then should you have issue with Marc asking to justify the price/performace of the Select II as to how close it approaches your own, self declared reference? I mean, it is a REALLY expensive DAC that should be approaching or even surpassing even the best analog on a like for like recording. I think to justify its price it should be getting more than close to your previous reference it should surpass it. If it is not then what justifies the price?

You have been dragging this thread along without any concrete comparison to analog. Just fueling speculation. You don't expect any of us to believe that you haven't made such comparisons already, do you? Most of us would make these comparisons straight away because that is THE big hanging question. How does it compare to your self-declared reference? Gear-o-philes want to know. Can you dump your analog and live happily ever after in MSB-land? Is it really apples and oranges?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think we should all be appreciating Mike for what he brings us, even though many will not have the room or gear to follow his recommendations. He simply said analog is better, but he is not comparing and enjoying both. He is not trying to better his analog with his digital. I am sure in future if he wanted to do that he would look at another cart, Arm, tone arm cable etc

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Brad, if you think the Marantz CD12/DA12 was mass market, think again.
It handily beat all the digital I heard at the time, incl the early Meridian 207 and 208.
And critically went toe to toe w the Linn Sondek LP12 tt which was King Of The Hill in the UK in the 80s.
At £2500 at the time, I was so impressed but so short of funds, I was ready to sell a kidney or two to fund purchase and ditch my lp collection (and in those days I was rabidly anti-digital).
I heard it recently and it remains totally amazing, but it's as rare as Hen's Teeth, and probably only kept together by gossamer thread being three decades old.
It remains Ken Kessler's digital player of choice.
I don't always rate his gear, but for him to have stuck w such an old piece must say something for it's quality.

So, the answer is no, you haven't heard any of the ones I mentioned and mostly heard mass market stuff at that time. Meridian 207 was originally using a 14bit chip and only in the "pro" version went to 16bit. I have never heard a good Merdian cd player (notice the absence from my list). The 208 is bitstream and it is a crappy player (thought about buying one but heard it and went "no way"...so boring sounding).

Your Marantz story just proves my point. There were great DACs from that period and the Marantz wasn't even really one of the best. It seems there was a version with the TD1541 double crowns and a version with the BB PCM58 (a good 18 bit R2R). Both of these DACs are agruably inferior to the PCM63/1704 or the AD1865/1862 or the Ultra Analog D20400A.

Another couple to add to the list: Accuphase DC71L and DC91.

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
Now, wait a minute Mike, it is you yourself that has declared (in your system) that analog is the reference. Why then should you have issue with Marc asking to justify the price/performace of the Select II as to how close it approaches your own, self declared reference? I mean, it is a REALLY expensive DAC that should be approaching or even surpassing even the best analog on a like for like recording. I think to justify its price it should be getting more than close to your previous reference it should surpass it. If it is not then what justifies the price?

You have been dragging this thread along without any concrete comparison to analog. Just fueling speculation. You don't expect any of us to believe that you haven't made such comparisons already, do you? Most of us would make these comparisons straight away because that is THE big hanging question. How does it compare to your self-declared reference? Gear-o-philes want to know. Can you dump your analog and live happily ever after in MSB-land? Is it really apples and oranges?

I dumped my vinyl rig and living very happily in my CH Precison, all digital land :). So it is possible.

I just wonder when this analog vs digital debate will come to an end? I do not see the point, both formats has its strenghts.

JP

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Hey Morricab, Go easy on our Mike--he replies with restraint and non combative and sensible replies--unlike some I could mention on some forums where this subject unleashes all out war!:mad:

I'm sure he'll get around to confiding the million dollar question when he is good and ready

Meantime I'm enjoying the banter--keep it coming guys:)

BruceD

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Brad, the UK was a bit of a Third World country in the 80s, we didn't have much access to cdp's other than the Meridian and Phillips etc.
Grahams HiFi in N. London was THE destination for Linn and Naim which was where 95% of British audiophiles were spending their cash.
Absolute Sounds was selling Accuphase, Krell, Wilson, Apogee etc, but one didn't gravitate there, esp as a dirt poor student at the time.
Maybe had I gone there, my first system would have been all-US ie VPI tt, Accuphase cdp, Krell amp, Wilson Watt Puppy or Apogee Duetta spkrs.
So, yes I can't relate any experience of these 80s digital alternatives.
I thank my lucky stars I didn't succumb to the lifestyle audio concept Meridian 207Pro and M20 active spkrs, that I was a cat's whiskers close to doing.
I find it hard to believe the CD12/DA12 wasn't one of the best, have you actually heard it?
I read somewhere that Mr Marantz himself, Mr. Ken Ishiwata considers the player the greatest creation in his illustrious career.
Quite how he ended up subsequently designing the SA1 is beyond me, undoubtedly the biggest foul up in my audio buying history.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Brad, good luck trying to shake Mike's tree.
I don't think you'll get any more success at a definitive answer than I did LOL.
I'm surmising that the races on digital and analog are converging, they remain seperate, but more in parallel than ever.
But like the story of the Hare And The Tortoise, digital isn't leapfrogging analog.
Where we can all agree is that cutting edge digital is so impressive these days, and what we analog-philes find so unique about vinyl's presentation remains as special as ever.
For me, I'm just happy that I've found digital I'm really happy with, and there's great options at the $5k level w non oversampling/non filtered/R2R dacs and streamer options that really perform and are not chopped liver, the latter being my only components spend for 2018.
But I'm not giving up on lps ever, and am planning raids on all the s/h record shops in my part of the world.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing