MrAcoustat Keep It Simple system

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Interesting evolution Steve.

Can you name a few speakers you had between the Acoustat and the Alexandria?

After all of the Acoustat I named I then went to Thiel Cs7's, then Wilson WP 5.1's, WP 6's, MAXX l's, X-1 Series, X-2 Series l and my present X-2 Series ll's.

I also own Wilson WATCH center, surrounds and rear. Previously owned Wilson XS sub with its twin 18" drivers before I went twin Gotham subs

Needless to say I am a huge fan of Wilson Audio but looking back I also had a love for stats so I do understand where MrAcoustat is coming from

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Thank you for the complement Steve. I had a pair of Watt/Puppy 5 which David Wilson personally set up when he came to visit his son. He not only positioned the speakers but also opened up the Puppy and adjusted the amount of damping material in it. I remember that it really sounded great with the Brisson puppy tail and Lamm M 1.1 amps. He did a fantastic job creating a huge sweet spot that I could have four people seated in four different chairs in the room hearing the same sound at the same time.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I had a pair of Acoustat 2 + 2. I drove them with a pair of Spectral DMA 50 in bridged mode, Counterpoint SA 220, and FM Acoustic 300. My favorite amp for the 2 + 2 was the Counterpoint. I still have excellent memories of the sound and still remember the system composed of:
Grado signature 8 cartridge
ET 2 tonearm
Oracle Delphi turntable
Counterpoint SA 5 preamp
Counterpoint SA 220 power amp
Acoustat 2 + 2 speakers
Monster Cable M series interconnects and speaker cables

Sam,

I remember these gears that you had. Those times were my early years in high end audio and having the opportunity to listen to your system was a learning experience. Those were memorable times. I also had Grado Signature 8MR. ET2 (which I still have now), Counterpoint SA 7.1 and I wished I had their amp too. Counterpoint had a very pleasant sound. I recall the Acoustats were very transparent and it was the first time for me to hear such open sounding speakers. When the Spectrals were driving them, one thing that impressed me till now was how a piano sounded so much like a real piano. I always had the word 'accurate' in my mind for that combination. As Steve said, it's really one heck of a system.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Acoustat Spectra 6600s with 2 JL F-112 Fanthom subwoofers

Hi was at my friend Jocelyn's place yesterday for just about five hours, yes the 2 JL-F-112 subwoofers where well integrated in the system and yes they did make a HUGE difference whe heard things that whe could not here before and even played very loud it was still enjoyable wich is not the case when the integration is not up to par, i'm surprise to say this but i did like what i heard and for ME a 2 channel system with subs is usualy not my cup of tea but i realy don't listend to my music loud.

PS: No i have not changed my mind, I prefer my friend's system WITHOUT subwoofers, but he didn't buy them for ME :)

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
"Loud" has nothing to do with why good subs will improve the performance of your sound.

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
As MEP says, Loud is not necessarily the point. Good quality bass makes the entire system seem more real.

I've found that Infinite baffles deliver the best match to stats and panel speakers. Extremely low distortion and incredible efficiency are their hallmarks.

Not exactly condo-friendly :)) ), but if you ever get the chance, an IB would be the perfect match.

The other thing a sub does is relieve the main speakers (yes, even so-called "full-range" units) from trying to reproduce frequencies that cause then stress.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The other thing a sub does is relieve the main speakers (yes, even so-called "full-range" units) from trying to reproduce frequencies that cause then stress.
You are so right.

Crossing over the CLS at 100 hz improves the CLS by leaps and bounds. Adding the Soundanchor stands took them to whole new level. I rarely could see the panel move any more.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
"Loud" has nothing to do with why good subs will improve the performance of your sound.

Sorry to disagree BUT the louder you go the more you hear the subs, you no longer hear the bass of the PANELS, it then's become bass from BOXES.:)

Last edited:

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
BUT the louder you go the more you hear the subs
Normal, The louder you go, harder it is for the room to absorb that bass.
Marq

Yes Marq, that's why i PREFER no subs, même dans le système à Jocelyn.:)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I used to own the Acoustat Model 3's. They were originally in the white cloth with the black piano finish bases, looked great. After a while, had to change the socks to black as the white ones looked like **** as the speakers attracted all kinds of stuff to them. I also remember them as being pretty hard to integrate into my room, I was always fiddling with positions and never seemed to get them just right. Finally gave up on them and never looked back.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
I used to own the Acoustat Model 3's. They were originally in the white cloth with the black piano finish bases, looked great. After a while, had to change the socks to black as the white ones looked like **** as the speakers attracted all kinds of stuff to them. I also remember them as being pretty hard to integrate into my room, I was always fiddling with positions and never seemed to get them just right. Finally gave up on them and never looked back.

You are absolutely correct the wider the panels the more ROOM you need, this is ONE of the reasons i chose the 1+1s for my living room even modified with a 2x3 steel frame they are only 14 inches wide they are 94 inches high but they don't take more space because of that.

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Yes Marq, that's why i PREFER no subs, même dans le système à Jocelyn.:)

Because the Biggest mistake made by most panel users is sealed subs , you cannot match dipoles with sealed subwoofers , it has to be reflex loaded (rear firing ports ) or as bipoles as done by genesis if sealed ..

You will also have to use multiple subs to have any positive gain with your large panels ...

Regards ,

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Because the Biggest mistake made by most panel users is sealed subs , you cannot match dipoles with sealed subwoofers , it has to be reflex loaded (rear firing ports ) or as bipoles as done by genesis if sealed ..

You will also have to use multiple subs to have any positive gain with your large panels ...

Regards ,

You are most likely RIGHT but i will never know, one of the things that i like about panels is the QUALITY of the bass and i'm not going to change that for bass from BOXES even IF i had the room wich i don't, it may be ok for others BUT i prefer my music without subwoofers. Thank You

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
It's safe to say most bass lovers would be very unhappy with the quality of the Acoustat's bass though, especially the 1+1's. There are good reasons almost all currently manufactured 'stats are either hybrids or very large panels.

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
I cannot Fault the Mr's opinion, he knows what he wants and like, i dear say anyone into full dynamic range sound will not like Panels and there lack of percussive energy.

regards,

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
It's safe to say most bass lovers would be very unhappy with the quality of the Acoustat's bass though, especially the 1+1's. There are good reasons almost all currently manufactured 'stats are either hybrids or very large panels.

Yes sir you are correct, full range stats are for music lovers not for bing bangners and i'm very happy.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes sir you are correct, full range stats are for music lovers not for bing bangners and i'm very happy.

As Peter Walker once said, "the bass of our speakers (Quad ESL's 63) is perfect for 95% of our customers, we apologize for the remaining 5%" (end of quote) .
Inserted in a proper setup and room, bass of full range stats is much better than you can think just from the specifications - remember it is a dipole bass.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I had Acoustats for almost 20 years, I'm pretty familiar with their sound...:)

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada

I tried a pair of Spectra 6600s in my living room, but i wound up with only 18 inches between the speakers, that's when i decided that the 1+1s would be better for my 13x20 living room.

MrAcoustat & Spectra 6600s

Acoustat Spectra 6600 & MrAcoustat.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing