MrAcoustat Keep It Simple system

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Hi i am new to this forum my name is André MrAcoustat Sévigny i'm from Quebec Canada i have been an audiophile for more than 40 years with Acoustat electrostatic speakers for the last 30 of those years it's not that i don't like cone speakers it's just that i prefer full range panels because i think you get MORE for your money here is my Keep It Simple system.

Keep It Simple 1000 X 750.jpg Chord Duo     15.jpg Interface 07.jpg Acoustat Spectra 8800 05.jpg Acoustat 1+1 01.jpg

Last edited:

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Excellent photos and VERY nice system! Thanks for sharing.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Excellent photos and VERY nice system! Thanks for sharing.

Only probably is those Acoustat's would never fit in my Nissan! :eek:

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Only probably is those Acoustat's would never fit in my Nissan! :eek:

No problem, i have owned Honda Civics since 1977 yep even longer than my Acoustat's ( 1984 ):)

Last edited:

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
This is MrAcoustat with my friend Jocelyn's modified Acoustat Spectra 8800s, the best dollar for dollar speaker that i have heard in more than 40 years, 41x102x12 inches 800 pounds

Acoustat Spectra 8800 10.jpg

Last edited:

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Subwoofers or no Subwoofers

Well my friend Jocelyn the Acoustat rebuilder & modifier gave me a call today he knows that i'm not to crazy about subwoofers and wanted to let me know that he had bought two JL Fathom F-112 subwoofers to add to his system he wants me to go over one day next week i personally don't like subwoofers with full range electrostatics because they are very hard to integrate BUT i know if he tells me that it's good i trust his ears so i will give it a shot next week and get back to you guy's this system was already the best system that i have heard in more than 40 years dollar for dollar before the subwoofers add on where talking about a 40k system here the rest of the system is as follows.

Plinius SA-250 MK1V - Promitheus mono preamps - Ayon CD-1 modified cd player - Acoustat Spectra 8800s highly modified speakers - and finaly 2 JL Audio F-112 Fathom subwoofers.

Jocelyn 01.jpg

Last edited:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I would be surprised if a pair of JL's did not improve the sound of his system.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Add me to the lineup of folks that would think that the 2 JL subs would improve the listening experience. I have heard them first hand in a couple of systems both before the subs were introduced and after.

Tom

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
love the 1+1s. a set came up for sale locally (super cheap) along with 2+2s. i dont think many have had a chance to hear them -- now considered vintage -- to know how good they are. im gonna jump on the 1+1s to keep my ESL 57s company :)

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
love the 1+1s. a set came up for sale locally (super cheap) along with 2+2s. i dont think many have had a chance to hear them -- now considered vintage -- to know how good they are. im gonna jump on the 1+1s to keep my ESL 57s company :)

Hi Rob, i have owned 6 pairs of Acoustat's in a 28 years period, Spectra 22s - 33s - 2+2s - and this is my third pair of 1+1s living in a small condo i think that this will be my last pair, for this reason i decided on many many upgrades even in it's original condition these where very decent speakers for $600.00 but with a $2,400.00 face lift of course it's now a very different Acoustat with an all steel frame & base double contact area for the panels top and bottom heads soldered together very high end parts in the interfaces and more that i am not aware of you know those do it yourself guy's have their little secrets well even if i'm up at around 3k for my speakers they are TRULY a bargain i am extremely happy with what i have and i think that it's the most important thing.

PS: You can see photos of the making of my Acoustat's 1+1s here enjoy = http://www.flickr.com/photos/mracoustat/

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Rob, i have owned 6 pairs of Acoustat's in a 28 years period, Spectra 22s - 33s - 2+2s - and this is my third pair of 1+1s living in a small condo i decided that this would probably my last pair for this reason i decided on many many upgrades even in it's original condition these where very decent speakers for $600.00 but with a $2,400.00 face lift of course it's now a very different Acoustat with an all steel frame & base double contact area for the panels top and bottom heads soldered together very high end parts in the interfaces and more that i am not aware of you know those do it yourself guy's have their little secrets well even if i'm up at around 3k for my speakers they are TRULY a bargain i am extremely happy with what i have and i think that it's the most important thing.

PS: You can see photos of the making of my Acoustat's 1+1s here = http://www.flickr.com/photos/mracoustat/page7/

I have owned the 1+1's, 2+2's and the 6's and I loved them. Drove them with Perraux amps

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
i understand the spectra 33 and prob the 22s as well, are quite rare. i remember hearing the 33 debut at CES in the late '80s shortly thereafter the co. went kaputt.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
i understand the spectra 33 and prob the 22s as well, are quite rare. i remember hearing the 33 debut at CES in the late '80s shortly thereafter the co. went kaputt.

Hi Rob, i'm not saying this as a sale's pitch but i am selling this pair of Spectra 22s for a friend of mine they are mint the base is marble they use to belong to my cousin in the 80s, for 1k it's pretty hard to beat.

PS: The bases alone cost $400.00 i know because i bought them and the reason they are pink is that they where to make a contrast on a black shag carpet and what a contrast.:p

Last edited:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I like Chord as well (owned a Symphonic phono preamp for some years) -my first Acoustat speaker I heard was with an Audio Research amp - fantastic sound but out of my reach those days.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I had a pair of Acoustat 2 + 2. I drove them with a pair of Spectral DMA 50 in bridged mode, Counterpoint SA 220, and FM Acoustic 300. My favorite amp for the 2 + 2 was the Counterpoint. I still have excellent memories of the sound and still remember the system composed of:
Grado signature 8 cartridge
ET 2 tonearm
Oracle Delphi turntable
Counterpoint SA 5 preamp
Counterpoint SA 220 power amp
Acoustat 2 + 2 speakers
Monster Cable M series interconnects and speaker cables

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I had a pair of Acoustat 2 + 2. I drove them with a pair of Spectral DMA 50 in bridged mode, Counterpoint SA 220, and FM Acoustic 300. My favorite amp for the 2 + 2 was the Counterpoint. I still have excellent memories of the sound and still remember the system composed of:
Grado signature 8 cartridge
ET 2 tonearm
Oracle Delphi turntable
Counterpoint SA 5 preamp
Counterpoint SA 220 power amp
Acoustat 2 + 2 speakers
Monster Cable M series interconnects and speaker cables

That's one heck of a system even by today's standards

I drove my 1+1, 2+2, and 6's with Perraux amp (also bridged) and preamp. They were the only stats I ever owned except for a small pair of Tympani I also had

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing