MIT's massive price increase

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Again Sir I must disagree with your statement. I have been a dealer for 40 years and I do not know of any real manufacturer of quality products that produces cables with anywhere near 300 percent markup. I have been an MIT, NORDOST, TRANSPARENT, Monster, Audioquest etc etc.
dealer and non of them have anywhere near that type of markup.
So Sir if you want to spread BS you need a different shovel!

Disagree all you want. At 50% discount, the grey-marketer still makes money, as well as the dealer behind him who feeds the goods, and obviously the factory behind them. The math is not very hard to figure out. If it's not 300% factory-to-consumer, it can easily be 200% - still stiff. I bet it actually varies as you get higher in the product line, so personally I can easily believe 300% for some top-of-the-line products.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Now you are mixing apples and oranges with your popcorn vinyl. Your original statement was that most cables have a 300% markup. Now you have changed that to say cables bought in bulk and terminated by a dealer have a 300% markup. Most of the name brand high-end cables are not allowed to be terminated by a dealer. That is usually reserved for entry-level products.

Sir please read again, #1 the popcorn vinyl was an answer to Rockitman's post, if it's ok to pee on digital it should be ok to pee on vinyl #2 i said that most cables have 300% markup #3 i said that cables bought bulk and terminated at the store are much higher than 300% that i know for sure i have many friends that are store owners ( 68 years old ) been around the block a few times and audio as been my main passion for more than 40 of those years.

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Disagree all you want. At 50% discount, the grey-marketer still makes money, as well as the dealer behind him who feeds the goods, and obviously the factory behind them. The math is not very hard to figure out. If it's not 300% factory-to-consumer, it can easily be 200% - still stiff. I bet it actually varies as you get higher in the product line, so personally I can easily believe 300% for some top-of-the-line products.

I guess we need to differentiate between total markup from manufacturer to dealer and from the dealer to the customer.

Chr. R.

May 11, 2013
Basically I don't see a problem if a product or brand is more expensive than everything else. However, such a product must always prove its worth to me before I buy it. I'm not a MIT owner.

I guess that MIT and similar brands can continue to sell their expensive items because of a well-known name, and/or with the help of a good dealer who has just sold a costly high-end product and therefore offers the customer a matching cable. The customer buys the cable after getting a huge discount (= "then is MUST be at great deal"), and also the status the customer now gets, by being able to say "Look I own a cool cable with have a value of $ XXXXX" :cool:

It's my opinion a huge problem, that no reviewer has yet dared to conclude that an expensive well-known cable may be good but first of all highly overpriced.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Basically I don't see a problem if a product or brand is more expensive than everything else. However, such a product must always prove its worth to me before I buy it. I'm not a MIT owner.

I guess that MIT and similar brands can continue to sell their expensive items because of a well-known name, and/or with the help of a good dealer who has just sold a costly high-end product and therefore offers the customer a matching cable. The customer buys the cable after getting a huge discount (= "then is MUST be at great deal"), and also the status the customer now gets, by being able to say "Look I own a cool cable with have a value of $ XXXXX" :cool:

It's my opinion a huge problem, that no reviewer has yet dared to conclude that an expensive well-known cable may be good but first of all highly overpriced.

Sir you're 100% right BUT don't forget you don't BITE the hand that feeds you and even reviewers have to eat.:)

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
MIT distributor pricing on Oracle cables is 75% off their sugested retail.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Just remember this, if you buy NEW the more people it involves, the higher the price and if you buy USED the older it is the cheaper it is and it will sound BETTER. :)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I worked in the business for a couple of years, in a place in which I could enter a code, scan an item and see employee price, which was typically about 5% above store cost. Trust me. I don't think I ever saw a cable, premium or otherwise, with as little as 60% dealer mark-up. What I typically saw was costs drop from customer price to employee price by HUGE margins. I don't remember any examples off of the top of my head to do the math, but 300% would be a lot closer to typical than 75%. And this was everything from sub-Monster to high end Audioquest.

Tim

Puroplatino

Jun 11, 2021
Again Sir I must disagree with your statement. I have been a dealer for 40 years and I do not know of any real manufacturer of quality products that produces cables with anywhere near 300 percent markup. I have been an MIT, NORDOST, TRANSPARENT, Monster, Audioquest etc etc.
dealer and non of them have anywhere near that type of markup.
So Sir if you want to spread BS you need a different shovel!
Ok not 300% but 200% all day. Keystone markup is the benchmark in retail. Keystone is double and 300% is triple Keystone. That’s the jargon.

Puroplatino

Jun 11, 2021
Factory to consumer is another story but retailer to consumer is 200% all day every day.

• Haha
Reactions: Scott Naylor

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Total BS. Believe what you want but margins are no where near that high. Perhaps some cables might be 60-70 percent. None of these are what we sell . If you are talking manufacturers cost to the end retail this is a different set of stats however the dealers are not making 200 percent on anything. Period
Believe whatever you like but you are dead wrong.

Reactions: Scott Naylor

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I quit buying MIT because of this price increase. They basically doubled the list price, and then the dealers started giving huge discounts.

Edit. LOL, I just found an old 2010 post where I commented on my MIT purchase.

Last edited:

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Does anyone buy MIT anymore? I can’t think of any post within the last few years. Think most have dumped them. I use MIT/Spectral cables and they will be the last. I asked MIT about reterminating my speaker cables with new spades, they needed to source the spades. It’s been crickets from them. They just dropped my request. They only want to sell mega cables.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Does anyone buy MIT anymore? I can’t think of any post within the last few years. Think most have dumped them. I use MIT/Spectral cables and they will be the last. I asked MIT about reterminating my speaker cables with new spades, they needed to source the spades. It’s been crickets from them. They just dropped my request. They only want to sell mega cables.
Spectral-friendly MIT speaker cables are the only MIT cable I will purchase at this point. I think MIT has set themselves up to be a low volume manufacturer that primarily serves the ultra-wealthy. Unfortunate that Brisson isn’t one of those guys sincerely interested in delivering the biggest bang for the buck. But I guess he finds it more challenging to focus on all out assaults on achieving the absolute best. It sure would be great if a younger generation takes over at some point and aims to bring their advancements to more people with a huge bang for the buck.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing