Microsoft unveils Surface tablet to rival iPad

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
I wonder if I am alone in thinking that the raft of new announcements from Microsoft will turn the computer world as we know it upside down when Windows 8 launches in October
Windows 8 in all its incarnations (i.e. desktop, Surface, Surface for Win RT, and Win 8 for phone) is easily the biggest change in UI since Win 95 was launched. It will be a massive change to how we interact with our computers, and if it catches on - it will be hugely disruptive to the entire industry.
The enterprise support in the Windows ecosystem is very strong and unmatched by Apple, which can barely scratch the surface of the corporate world. Furthermore, the ecosystem-wide integration between all the Windows 8 products is much tighter than it is between OS X and iOS, making porting software so much easier.

I think you may be right. Integration at the operating system level is a primary key in my experience. In my consulting business I use 5 different platforms--smart phone, tablet, laptop, desktop and server. The last three are powered by microsoft operating systems. The first two are Android (Google). The Androids are synched with kludgy third-party applications to the bigger machines. Works okay, but when it comes to full system backups to the server, only compartible OS's will really do.

As far as compatibility goes, one of my corporate clients use primarily Apple products. Surprisingly often, if they want to trial "serious" scientific software, they are running them on my Windows 7 laptop (at least during the trial period) since there is no iOS version. Then they have to buy a Windows box. :eek:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing