Merging + NADAC @ the Pacific NW (this week) & SoundStage review

For those forum members up at the Pacific NW, we'll be showing the NADAC this evening at the Pacific North West Audio Society in Kirkland. Starting around 7:00PM call Renee Jaeger for details - phone 425 248 0982.

We'll be showing some of the terrific vinyl rips from Bruce Brown's SME 30 in DSD128 & DSD256. While we'll also have some single DSD rips using Steve William's Airforce 1. Will play a comparison of Cat Steven's "Tea for the Tillerman" in 24/192 vs DSD64 vs DSD128. Should be fun.

On Thursday night we will show the NADAC at Definitive's "Music Matters", we'll be sharing the reference room with Wilson Audio's Peter McGrath who will introduce the new "Alex" and Dan D'Agastino will introduce some new monoblocks. Call Definitive for details - 206 524 6633.

Finally, the Merging NADAC ST-2 sounds superb. Its full, complete sound is never objectionable, and never comes across as overly “hi-fi.” Yes, it sounds natural. And yes, it has excellent detail and resolution, including low noise. But it won’t make all the audiophile alarms go off in your head -- and that’s a good thing. Over the weeks I had the NADAC ST-2 in my system, it made me want to listen to music, not assess sound quality.

In terms of value, functionality, and sound quality, this Swiss-made DAC will win many fans. I predict that it will enjoy a long run in a product category that seems to change daily.
[/SIZE] Jeff Fritz, SoundStage.

A comprehensive, well written review of the NADAC went live this morning over at SoundStage's "Ultra" site http://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php/equipment-menu/637-merging-nadac-st-2-digital-to-analog-converterhttp://

Be sure to introduce yourself please,
thanks for reading.

Philip

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have a two hour, traffic-laden drive in front of me but I will be there at PNW meeting. Look forward to learning and enjoying high fidelity music! Hope other local people decide to come too.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
As a NADAC owner, I am interested to hear impressions.

I had a couple members of this site over last Saturday to hear mine and I think they were quite impressed when I played the Yarlung's Janaki String Trio (comparing it to the vinyl version).

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
As a NADAC owner, I am interested to hear impressions.

I had a couple members of this site over last Saturday to hear mine and I think they were quite impressed when I played the Yarlung's Janaki String Trio (comparing it to the vinyl version).

I was one of those members, and I definitely thought the NADAC sounded best while playing native quad DSD recordings. Sounds like a fun gathering in the PNW.

Andrew Stenhouse

Feb 14, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Hi Phillip

Will you be employing a pre amplifier, or will you be using the Nadac direct to your power amplifiers?

Actually, what system are you demonstrating it with? Do you have a playlist organised yet? or is that up to Bruce?

My experience with the Nadac I owned was wholly positive with native DSD, and the higher the rate DSD the better. Native quad DSD was especially impressive. I experienced a sense of 'ease" and "space" I usually only associate with high end vinyl. It really was a treat.

I am sure all who attend will be excited by the availability for the first time (I think I am right in saying this) of recording grade DSD technology in a consumer product, and will be impressed by the sound quality, which is excellent.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have heard the NADAC 3 times at Phillip's house and each time I was super impressed. I kept asking Philip that in light of similar competitive products in the market I was wondering if is MSRP was priced too low

caesar

May 30, 2010
I have heard the NADAC 3 times at Phillip's house and each time I was super impressed. I kept asking Philip that in light of similar competitive products in the market I was wondering if is MSRP was priced too low

I have no doubt. I may be getting some wires crossed, but wanted to hear what people thought of Bruce Brown's vinyl rips to PCM 192/24 and (super high) DSD.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

What's the MSRP?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Amir was there and took some photos. I can give a brief recap, but Philip should be writing up something soon. I know he is busy at the Definitive even tonight/tomorrow.

First, I would like to thank Philip for his wonderful presentation. It was mostly about the music, because the NADAC spoke for itself. I believe Philip got there around 4pm to set everything up and make sure it was working. The source for the NADAC was a Mac using Audirvana+. All files were played in their native format. The Mac was connected via Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter. We ran the NADAC directly into the Genesis amp and using the Genesis speakers.
Philip had a demo disc that he put together specifically for his Pacific Northwest trek. Each member got a CD copy of his demo which was greatly appreciated by the members.
I can't remember the tracks, so Philip should be able to clue you in on those, but most I have never heard of. We started off with some light jazz and ended up with some techno Depeche Mode. The last piece of the night was a classical piece that demonstrated different sampling rates of 44.1, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192k. You couldn't believe the differences we heard between the low to high sampling rates, but even the 88.2 vs 96 and 176.4 vs 192. We had gathered that the tape transfers were made with the PM2. One of the original engineers of the PM1 was in the audience and several of us come to the conclusion that multiples of 44.1 sounded better than multiples of 48, especially on solo violin. The NADAC was actually able to pull off the minute differences of that recording. We determined that it was in the recording because other pieces played by Philip with the 48k multiple sounded fine.
The meeting ended way too soon, that's for sure.
For anyone interested in hearing the NADAC in a high end system, should come out to Definitive tomorrow evening for the Music Matters event.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I sent some of my Quad DSD rips to several folks here. Maybe they could chime in on how they sounded?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
2 channel is $10.5k and 8 channel is $11.5k if I'm not mistaken

Thanks Bruce. I would like to hear one in my system... how do I make this happen... hmmm

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I sent some of my Quad DSD rips to several folks here. Maybe they could chime in on how they sounded?

I realize this sounds pathetic, but I couldn't figure out how to play them. It seemed neither Roon nor HQPlayer recognized DFF files.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Thanks Bruce. I would like to hear one in my system... how do I make this happen... hmmm

You are welcome to borrow mine, ack.

Andrew Stenhouse

Feb 14, 2016
Sydney, Australia
I have no doubt. I may be getting some wires crossed, but wanted to hear what people thought of Bruce Brown's vinyl rips to PCM 192/24 and (super high) DSD.

Via OSX Phillip would be limited to DSD 128 - not that there is anything wrong with that!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing