Maxx 3

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
we all have to play the cards we are dealt with.

Such is life. On the bright side, it gives you something more to work for.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Unfortunate set of dimensions. Multiple of 8 feet in all three dimensions means some really nasty and non linear response in the bass. LOTS of bass trapping and room correction will be necessary to extract the most from whatever speaker you use.

The effective listening area is 16 wide by 16 deep. The room extends on each side a bit so it's not really 16 feet wide more like 25 feet. I use first reflection point trapping on stands on both left and right channels to set the listening area boundry and along the ceiling. The rear wall is fully trapped including where the ceiling meets the rear wall. I have full frequency range traps behind the seating area

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The X2 series 1 upgraded to series 2 saves close to $15K. From what I understand, the Series 1 midrange, tweeter and crossover are changed to match the series 2. The cabinet is the same save for the difference in appearence from behind. Are there any other differences ? Will the series 1 upgraded to series 2 sound every bit as good as a current series 2 model ?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The X2 series 1 upgraded to series 2 saves close to $15K. From what I understand, the Series 1 midrange, tweeter and crossover are changed to match the series 2. The cabinet is the same save for the difference in appearence from behind. Are there any other differences ? Will the series 1 upgraded to series 2 sound every bit as good as a current series 2 model ?

The upgraded series ll is sonically identical and indistinguishable from an x-2 series ll. only difference is the glass back showing the resistors

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The upgraded series ll is sonically identical and indistinguishable from an x-2 series ll. only difference is the glass back showing the resistors

Okay, now the butterfly's start until I get the ballz to Call Paragon. I'm thinking they will take my Watt Puppy 8's as a trade in. I bought the 8's from them.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Okay, now the butterfly's start until I get the ballz to Call Paragon. I'm thinking they will take my Watt Puppy 8's as a trade in. I bought the 8's from them.

We, audiophiles are fond of hyperbole. This is not one: The improvement from the X-2 to the WP8 is considerable ..Not a matter of sheer SPL (a contest the X-2 would win and not only on the WP8, few speakers can play that loud without strains and such sense of ease) but of reproduction , scale and accuracy... The X-2 will also win over those who favor microdynamics ... This speaker can sound as subtle in the ppp as any monitor you care to name ...The differences are as vast or maybe greater than those between a BMW 328i and a M3 ... One a good sport sedan the other one of the best sports car ever.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
You'll never look back. It is a night and day difference in all regards

I am now a proud owner of X2 series 2 in Almandine Black with black hardware and black grills. It is a purple very dark hue metal flake. They took my 8's in as trade and will arrange for them to be shipped back (Paragon will come out for install)....I am in euphoria right now....what a deal !

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Congratulations - excellent move. A good friend of mine has X2 series 2 in a small room and they sound great. The Almandine is really a great looking finish.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I am now a proud owner of X2 series 2 in Almandine Black with black hardware and black grills. It is a purple very dark hue metal flake. They took my 8's in as trade and will arrange for them to be shipped back (Paragon will come out for install)....I am in euphoria right now....what a deal !

That's the color I have however my grill cloths are parchment gray to accent the color of the cabinet

He doesn't make that color any more as it was a special value added cost to get it

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Congratulations Chris. Sounds like you got a great deal in addition to a great speaker.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City

Congratulations Christian! I really liked that speaker!..first Wilson I have ever liked.. :)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Congrats Christian. I knew if you had gotten the Maxx3 you'd never be satisfied. Great match for the Pass.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
It's a beautiful color, hard to render in photos.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

A GREAT move! Congrats. I agree 1000% with every person here who totally supported this move. It is not subtle, there are no trade-offs, sacrifices in sound...it is an all-out launch to the forefront of today's SOTA. From a very well-built, speaker that can sound extraordinary when well set up...you enter the realm of a speaker whose limits are probably yet to be reached with current electronics. I remember speaking with Transprent Audio about the XLF and X2...they said the X2 Series 2 made them go back and redo all of their top of the line cables because they could finally hear extremely subtle differences they could never hear before with other speakers. Enjoy!!!

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Congratulations Christian! Now for the new house ;)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Thanks guys ! I was listening to my w/p 8's last night with a sort of melancholy feeling knowing that they will soon be leaving me. Out with the old, in with the new...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing