Matching Palladian to sme3012r

Adcc

Mar 30, 2021
Edinburgh
I have an Acoustical Systems Palladian cartridge with compliance of 16-18 nm/n and was wondering if it is a good fit for my system. My tonearm is an SME3012r special. The KABUSA.COM site shows this cartridge is a good fit. My preamp is a Shindo Vosne Romanee and I was also wondering if the gain is enough. Cartridge output is .33 mv. I am relatively new to cartridge tonearm compliance issues and any advice and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Should be a perfect match compliance wise. I use a cartridge with 20 and it’s great.

Reactions: Adcc

Adcc

Mar 30, 2021
Edinburgh
Thank you very much. Any ideas on the Vosne Romanee Gain? I can’t seem to find figures.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Your Tonearm eff mass are 14gr.
Your cartridge weight with screws arround 13gr.
Resonance frequency arround 7- 8 hz no problem from the technical side

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have an Acoustical Systems Palladian cartridge with compliance of 16-18 nm/n and was wondering if it is a good fit for my system. My tonearm is an SME3012r special. The KABUSA.COM site shows this cartridge is a good fit. My preamp is a Shindo Vosne Romanee and I was also wondering if the gain is enough. Cartridge output is .33 mv. I am relatively new to cartridge tonearm compliance issues and any advice and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It's a very boring cartridge. When you can sell it and get depending on your budget a SPU or an airtight or zyx or MSL to go with it. Vdh Stradivarius will be ideal aha is superb on 3012r but sample quality varies so be careful if you buy.

If you need another opinion ask @Tango who owned it and the other carts with SME 3012r

Reactions: ddk

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
It's a very boring cartridge. When you can sell it and get depending on your budget a SPU or an airtight or zyx or MSL to go with it. Vdh Stradivarius will be ideal aha is superb on 3012r but sample quality varies so be careful if you buy.

If you need another opinion ask @Tango who owned it and the other carts with SME 3012r
Boring as bonzo said.

Adcc

Mar 30, 2021
Edinburgh
Boring as bonzo said.
Thanks

not sure what to purchase here. Was inclined to buy the cart to see what it sounded like. Might wait until I’m in Edinburgh to flesh out something for my system. Heard Dynavector but not liking. I have 30 plus years tubes and tube gear but I’ve never looked closely at perfecting vinyl systems. I’ll take your advice. Tango, what do you recommend? I now have Shindo VR, Garrard 301 reference from CTC, 3012r special, old series ic, Wavac 805, custom horns (18 bass, 10 mid, 1505 Altec horns) from Gary Fischer, Kondo silver ic, Shindo silver ic, , nordost silver speaker cables,. I listen to blues, jazz, female vocals, etc. Listen for the space between the notes. Sometimes Johny Winter too. Need detail, clarity mid-bass and balance. But don’t we all.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I listen to blues, jazz, female vocals, etc. Listen for the space between the notes. Sometimes Johny Winter too. Need detail, clarity mid-bass and balance. But don’t we all.
I recommend a vdh Gran Cru. MikeL a highly respected forum member here is very happy with the Esturo Gold. You may want to try that too. But for me the Esturo is way too expensive.

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Adcc, have you already decided for a new cartridge?

Bonzo, in which system did you find the Palladian boring? With which tonearm and phono stage?

Adcc

Mar 30, 2021
Edinburgh
Adcc, have you already decided for a new cartridge?

Bonzo, in which system did you find the Palladian boring? With which tonearm and phono stage?
Yes I did. after carefully considering the advice on this forum I purchased a VDH Grand Cru. Much thanks Tango.

Reactions: Birdwatcher

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

With Triplanar, With Allnic 3000 and Zesto and Phono, compared with a lower syz model, and in another system, with the Axiom arm and Nagra phono.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing