Mastersound PF100 PSET Amplifier

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Only above a certain level…below that level it is inaudible.
That is the same argument that the solid state measurement people like to make.

It does not work that way for them and does not work that way for you or anyone else. Distortion is a modifier. It is not a separate signal.

It does indeed color the sound, less so at lower volumes, and its
always there.

Put another way, the distortion of any amplifier is its 'sonic signature' plain and simple. For that reason its best to keep whatever distortion as benign as possible. The only really 'benign' distortion is the 2nd and 3rd.

Reactions: DasguteOhr and PYP

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
That is the same argument that the solid state measurement people like to make.

It does not work that way for them and does not work that way for you or anyone else. Distortion is a modifier. It is not a separate signal.

It does indeed color the sound, less so at lower volumes, and its
always there.

Put another way, the distortion of any amplifier is its 'sonic signature' plain and simple. For that reason its best to keep whatever distortion as benign as possible. The only really 'benign' distortion is the 2nd and 3rd.
Wrong, 2nd order is heavily masked by the ear/brain….high order low level distortion harmonics are not masked effectively…big difference

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
thoughts on this tube alternative?

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Wrong, 2nd order is heavily masked by the ear/brain….high order low level distortion harmonics are not masked effectively…big difference
Agree to disagree on this one. I think you missed my point though.
Edit: the more I think of it, the more I'm sure of it. I'm not talking about high order low level harmonics so much as I am pointing out that distortion in general, regardless of what kind is audible as a tonality. In just the same manner as musical instruments get their tone colors. So yes, a 2nd is audible in that manner.

Republicoftexas69

thoughts on this tube alternative?

Interesting, I have seen where these are being used in some hybrid amplifiers and integrated amplifiers.

Reactions: PYP

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Agree to disagree on this one. I think you missed my point though.
Edit: the more I think of it, the more I'm sure of it. I'm not talking about high order low level harmonics so much as I am pointing out that distortion in general, regardless of what kind is audible as a tonality. In just the same manner as musical instruments get their tone colors. So yes, a 2nd is audible in that manner.
You can think about it how you want but most studies are clear that masking is inaudible

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
Interesting, I have seen where these are being used in some hybrid amplifiers and integrated amplifiers.
do you remember which ones? Might be interesting to read user reactions. Thanks.

Info on their evaluation board:
A board that can select 4 levels of Nutube harmonics
  • Nutube harmonics can be selected.(4 levels of distortion: approximately [1]:0.015%, [2]: 0.1%, [3]: 0.3%, [4]: 1%)
  • Equipped with a switch that allows bypassing the Nutube.(Easy switching between “with” and “without” Nutube.)
  • Equipped with an output volume control Nutube VOLUME so it can be used as a Nutube buffer.

Republicoftexas69

do you remember which ones? Might be interesting to read user reactions. Thanks.

Info on their evaluation board:
A board that can select 4 levels of Nutube harmonics
  • Nutube harmonics can be selected.(4 levels of distortion: approximately [1]:0.015%, [2]: 0.1%, [3]: 0.3%, [4]: 1%)
  • Equipped with a switch that allows bypassing the Nutube.(Easy switching between “with” and “without” Nutube.)
  • Equipped with an output volume control Nutube VOLUME so it can be used as a Nutube buffer.

Reactions: PYP

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
You can think about it how you want but most studies are clear that masking is inaudible
You misunderstand- masking does make the quieter sound inaudible. But think about it: masking is the principle where the louder sound masks the presence of the quieter sound; in this case the 2nd as opposed to the higher ordered harmonics.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
You misunderstand- masking does make the quieter sound inaudible. But think about it: masking is the principle where the louder sound masks the presence of the quieter sound; in this case the 2nd as opposed to the higher ordered harmonics.
No, the fundamental masks the 2nd and so on if there is a monotonic decay. The fundamental does progressively worse at masking higher harmonics and if there is no 2nd higher than 3rd and no 3rd higher than fourth…then higher orders are exposed and highly audible.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
No, the fundamental masks the 2nd and so on if there is a monotonic decay. The fundamental does progressively worse at masking higher harmonics and if there is no 2nd higher than 3rd and no 3rd higher than fourth…then higher orders are exposed and highly audible.
There isn't a facepalm emoji on this site and right here I need one; lacking that I'm going with 'sheesh!' You are forgetting that distortion modifies the sound, so the result is the tone color of the instrument(s) being reproduced is altered accordingly. Ask any luthier about this: tone colors are caused by harmonics.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing