Making of Sophia Series 3

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
hmm, curiosity made me go and look at a recently closed tab.

up to the third sophia already?? maybe I'm slow, but it was not that long ago it first made an appearance??

anyway, hope they managed (with all that computer modeling and testing) to improve on these measurements....http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/speakers/wilson_sophia_2/

how much are these puppies? (haha, little joke there) sorry, the predecessor does not seem that refined for what (I presume to be) a hefty amount of dosh.

no wonder there always seems to be a new model every year.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It is really well done as far as marketing material. Clearly professionally done given the high video fidelity.

Technically it is not all that great but a good introduction of people using both their ears and computers. What Harman does technically blows away anything they do by a huge mile. Their factory tour is more educational and fun than a trip to Disney when you are 12 :D.

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
Sashas for half-price? Do they take credit cards?

These "conversational" videos are, in my view, a great way to "reach out" and establish a relationship with the consumer, keeping the discussion on message in the way that Dave prefers. He's certainly a seasoned (and successful) explorer in the wide, wild world of high-end audio.

Market conditions right now are however a bit odd. The MAXX3, Sophia 3 and Sasha all came out fairly recently. There are used MAXX 2s for sale at, say, $25K, while the Sasha is $27K list. And there's a pair of essentially new Sashas on Audiogon asking $20.5, 25% discount; probably a distressed sale. And it dos

The Wilson Sasha is priced about 10% less than the short-lived Watt Puppy 8 series (The WP line overall, according to reports, sold way over 10,000 pairs, which is pretty remarkable). However, it improves considerably upon the WP approach with new cabinet design, drivers, etc., which are shared with or derived from the MAXX3/X-2 class products.

Anyone with a pair of Sophias or Sashas is likely to be quite happy with the results :) Seems to me that the Sophia and Sasha represents somewhat of a new direction at Wilson: they've puting their latest technology right into the "entry level" of their range.

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
With respect to the rest of the world, definitely... Within the Wilson line, the Sasha is "just" 16% of the X-2s... today's lesson that a small portion of a large amount of money is still a large amount of money.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Attachments

• duette_bookshelf&#.jpg
    duette_bookshelf&#.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 275

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
I've heard them demo-ed by Dave Wilson, and they really are good in their intended role of being tucked into corners. For the ultimate den speaker, the Duette's are terrific. As Dan suggested, given the space, Sophias or Sashas will be a lot more satisfying and more adaptable.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Steve- I was not impressed. But the Sophia 3 was right next to them and they sucked too. When I went back the Sophia was in another room and sounded great.

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
Nothing like the battlefield conditions at shows to make products sound poorly. In Wilson's room at CES, they had discreetly tweaked it... some acoustical pads here, careful positioning there, and the Duettes did their thing quite nicely.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing