Magico M9

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Magico uses / used high rigidity Stainless steel bracing or may be nowadays aluminium alloy for some models .
Housing :Extruded aluminium for cheaper models and machined alu for the expensive ones .
How the carbon is actually integrated in the M9 model i dont know it may be partially cosmetic
Magico also uses a complicated clamping system without screws to hold LS units in place which is in no way cheap or inferiour

Ps if im not mistaken they use a aluminium honeycomb structure with a carbon shell of some sort

Last edited:

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Ok i will enlighten you its fairly simple

BS means Bullsh***t :)
You know what is BS?
Selling a $750K speaker with non time aligned drivers. This isn’t rocket science brother!
Let’s go back to basics:
Sound Science 101
The original source of an instrument the speaker is trying to reproduce does not originate for multiple drivers. So when you split up that source into multiple drivers, you better make sure that the phase and time delay across all drivers is aligned - certainly at this price point.
I wouldn’t accept a plane with a bent wing, because it’s easier to build that way. I guess you would.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Because the compromises we are discussing are not subtle. Time alignment, or lack of driver rigidity is akin to saying G6 wings are not perfectly aligned for level flight!

No it is not. Please do not mix physics and engineering with perceptual science and its methods and outcomes.

Both brands should have done better for what they are charging.
Ultimately, these are boxes with magnets and paper...

Surely you are free to have your own opinion.

Reactions: TDX

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
You know what is BS?
Selling a $750K speaker with non time aligned drivers. This isn’t rocket science brother!
Let’s go back to basics:
Sound Science 101
The original source of an instrument the speaker is trying to reproduce does not originate for multiple drivers. So when you split up that source into multiple drivers, you better make sure that the phase and time delay across all drivers is aligned - certainly at this price point.
I wouldn’t accept a plane with a bent wing, because it’s easier to build that way. I guess you would.

Look i ll give the new wilsons another shot at munich next week , but based on what i heard last year i wouldn t have them to listen to in my house even if you gave them to me .
No matter how time aligned they are
If i bought audio products based on so called " Science / NASA technolgy " id have to buy another system every other month to keep up .
I buy what i think sounds good , its not very complicated

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
No it is not. Please do not mix physics and engineering with perceptual science and its methods and outcomes.
I am not. The facts are the facts. You can choose to ignore them or to not care about them; but you cannot argue that reproducing a single point source of sound among multiple drivers that produce sound at different time intervals is FAR from ideal. When it’s a $10k speaker, sure, compromises need to be made. But at $750K?! Come on. That’s lazy engineering.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I buy what i think sounds good , its not very complicated
I agree with you there.

I’m not sparing the XVX either: if what @TLi said is true, and I value his opinion, the “gantry” should be more rigid. I guess you have to step up to the WHAMM for that?!

I believe in providing feedback to the manufacturer. If potential customers are falling over themselves with praise, it‘s not very helpful.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I am not. The facts are the facts. You can choose to ignore them or to not care about them; but you cannot argue that reproducing a single point source of sound among multiple drivers that produce sound at different time intervals is FAR from ideal. When it’s a $10k speaker, sure, compromises need to be made. But at $750K?! Come on. That’s lazy engineering.

Lazy engineering ,you gotto be joking , magico produces excellent made gear
I wouldnt spent 750 K $$ on speakers , but there are a lot of factors which determine the end cost of a product.

If i cannot hear the sonic benefits of certain/ time alignment claims , then that what remains is solely marketing to me

Last edited:

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
You 100% can hear time alignment. Get real. Audition a speaker that has adjustable time alignment and you decide if you can hear changes made to driver positions. Ask a Wilson dealer to do this.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I am not. The facts are the facts. You can choose to ignore them or to not care about them; but you cannot argue that reproducing a single point source of sound among multiple drivers that produce sound at different time intervals is FAR from ideal.

Just your (and others, surely) opinion. Please show references that prove in a scientific way that this is an audible fact in normal listening conditions.

When it’s a $10k speaker, sure, compromises need to be made. But at $750K?! Come on. That’s lazy engineering.

No, it can be simply good engineering and a good understanding of stereo sound reproduction priorities. As they say, engineering is also managing compromises. In order to understand the high-end we need an open mind.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
You 100% can hear time alignment. Get real. Audition a speaker that has adjustable time alignment and you decide if you can hear changes made to driver positions. Ask a Wilson dealer to do this.

I have good memories of the older wilsons just not the new ones i heard so far .

There is a lot more that goes into speakerdesign then staring yourself blind on time alignement of the units

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Again, because Wilson design their speakers around this objective and they are made to be listened in such particular conditions. BTW, are you addressing time-coincident or time-coherent speakers?

Reactions: Argonaut

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
You should stop reading Lee s reviews .
Good sound has as much to do with NASA technology ( some carbon lol ? ) , then a pigeon in my garden :oops:

Ps magico doesn t uses paper cones .

If were going the Carbon / " High tech " gives good sound route , there are numerous other possibilties you can buy with great sound , Mclaren 720S great sound V8 only 200 K , and it actually gets you somewhere
No papercones,i bet the cones come from here . all big companies let build there.
over the years, high-end companies have gotten weird. In the past, all possible measurements of step response, frequency response and so on were given for every new speaker. They were proud of new product and had nothing to hide. i love companies like Neumann or ME- Geithain, they've been showing things like this for 50 years.facts create calm and reliability;)

Reactions: Zeotrope

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia

The Crossovers would also need to be 1st order for true time alignment.

I believe that most people are not "sensitive" to time alignment - that is they don't really hear it.

1st order crossovers introduce a number of other issues for the designer, such as the need to use drivers that are linear way into the pass band, the inability to play loud without distortion, etc.

Speakers are very imperfect, no matter how much they cost and the designer has to choose what they feel is most important. I am sensitive to time alignment, so the speakers I have built are time aligned with 1st order crossovers. I had to use ridiculously expensive drivers and crossover parts and it has taken me a long time to get the crossover optimised. I love them, but someone else may prefer a big Wilson or a Magico :)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
This is off topic but i would use the 750 K and "invest " it in a magico S5 mk1 or 2 or a V3 even and buy top amplification plus a Wadax .
If it was my own money.
Speakertech is stagnating imv

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
This is off topic but i would use the 750 K and "invest " it in a magico S5 mk1 or 2 or a V3 even and buy top amplification plus a Wadax .
If it was my own money.
Speakertech is stagnating imv
With the 750k budget you should be able to get M6 plus the rest ;) To buy M9, your budget would be much more than 750k overall anyway.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I have heard all the top of the line large magicos over the years from the beginning (apart from the horns )of the brand , incl the M6 last year and i wasnt impressed
I have always liked magico s smaller speakers not the large models .
Not good coherent sounding/ overpriced

Last edited:

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Yes. 100%
Every high end speaker should use field coils for one thing. Superior in every way, other than cost.

Most people would not want the hassle of the power supplies. Imagine a FC Wilson XVX with a power supply for every driver o_O

The no compromise approach can be applied in a lot of other aspects. For example Mike Devore makes his top driver baskets and wave guides from Bronze - does this mean that my FC drivers with Aluminium baskets are shit?

Are Aluminum cabinets better than wood? Maybe Copper or Silver would be better still. What should all high end speaker cabinets be made from?

What about the cabling and crossover parts?

Whatever anyone uses or does, there is always going to be something that might be better :).

Reactions: Bobvin

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
Most people would not want the hassle of the power supplies. Imagine a FC Wilson XVX with a power supply for every driver o_O

The no compromise approach can be applied in a lot of other aspects. For example Mike Devore makes his top driver baskets and wave guides from Bronze - does this mean that my FC drivers with Aluminium baskets are shit?

Are Aluminum cabinets better than wood? Maybe Copper or Silver would be better still. What should all high end speaker cabinets be made from?

What about the cabling and crossover parts?

Whatever anyone uses or does, there is always going to be something that might be better :).
Dcathro have you detailed your mods to the phalanx somewhere.. a lot of mid drivers to upgrade !
Thanks
Phil

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing