Madrona Digital Home Theater Design

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
This is an article that has been long time coming. So much to do, so little time :). Anyway, it is the story of what went into the design of our reference home theater.

I apologize for providing an external reference. It is too hard to replicate the look and design here yet again: Madrona Digital Home Theater Design

And oh, there is some marketing slant in there but hopefully you find useful information in there for what goes into a high-performance theater. :)

To come, full simulations from Keith Yates on the acoustics. And more drill downs into individual subsystems. I will post the updates here as they become available.

Comments,questions,spelling errors, all welcome!

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Nice article, Amir! I got too enthralled reading it to critique. :)

Your description of the playback experience using Book of Eli reminds me of the first time I heard a HT system, using the Maggies I bought... They used the opening from Silverado, an old western ( and one I still enjoy, cowboy that I am). Same idea, very quiet, birds chirping, light breeze, soft morning sounds -- rudely and violently broken by guns blasting! I may have to dig that out this weekend, finally bought the DVD (should have held out for the BD).

My room is also specially constructed and very dead (for various reasons; not my ideal, but my preference for a small, otherwise quite bright room and dipoles). I would love to visit someday and hear, but I'm afraid of how inadequate everything else would seem afterwards... :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the compliments Don. I was hoping at least some people would get lost in the feeling I was trying to create in that article :).

Frank, thanks so much for that correction. I literally had to get my wife to come and look at what I had done wrong there last night! This darn language we use to communicate.....

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I would LOVE to come hear that room ... but not really.

Being both the audio (but less video) addict, and anal retentive that I am AND no longer having the disposable income to make any serious upgrades to my room (not my equipment), I would probably be depressed for a very, very long time.

But nice article

hiroshige

Feb 13, 2011
I would LOVE to come hear that room ... but not really.

Being both the audio (but less video) addict, and anal retentive that I am AND no longer having the disposable income to make any serious upgrades to my room (not my equipment), I would probably be depressed for a very, very long time.

But nice article

Two places to avoid in Washington State if you want to remain satisfied with your system is the home theater at Madrona Digital and Bruce Browns studio.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Very well done Amir!

One comment. You used "leave the room" in paragraph 2 and 4. Replacing one of them with another descriptor for "too loud" would remove that slight hint of redundancy. :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Two places to avoid in Washington State if you want to remain satisfied with your system is the home theater at Madrona Digital and Bruce Browns studio.
If I had half the wit you all have in posts like this, the article would have come out months ago :).

Thanks much for the kind testimonial.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing