Madfloyd's system

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I thought I'd start a new thread with the latest info on my system. I've now had the Magico M-Projects for a year and realized since I acquired them I have changed every other component (with the exception of a power cord or two).

I changed my preamp from the Pass XP-30 to the Pass XS Pre.
I changed my amps from Pass Labs XA-160.8's to Pass Labs XS-150's.
I changed my turntable from a TW Acustic Raven One (with a Triplanar arm) to a Kronos Pro Limited with Black Beauty arm.
I changed my cartridge from a Dynavector XV-1t to a Zyx Universe Premium.
I changed cables from a mix of Transparent, MIT and Mogami(!) to Viero and then to Kubala Sosna.
I upgraded some Shunyata power cables from Alpha to Sigma.
I changed my music server from JRiver/JRemote to Roon feeding HQPlayer.
I changed my DAC from Playback Designs to a Merging+ NADAC.

While I have a dedicated, soundproofed media room in my basement (pretty much a home theater) and a home recording studio, my main listening room is shared space - it's our family room just off the kitchen. No two walls are parallel - which is both good and bad. I listen mostly from the sweet spot on the couch but I also very much enjoy the sound from the kitchen (where it still sound remarkably detailed, rich and engaging).

Here's a rough layout of my room (9' ceiling):
Layout.JPG

Here's a view from the kitchen:
From Kitchen.jpg

From the sweet spot:
From Listening Position 2.jpg

The Pass XS-150's:
XS 150s.jpg

The amplifiers' view of the listening position:
View from Amps.jpg

(more photos in next post)

Last edited:
Reactions: goodsource

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
My rack:
Rack.jpg
RACK REAL.jpg

Classic rock LPs hidden behind couch:
Classic Rock LPs behind couch.jpg

45 RPM albums in half wall:
45 RPM.jpg

Example of crazy wall angles:
crazy angles.jpg

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Awesome pics ! Peter has mentioned to me a few times listening to your system-how great it sounds. I've been watching as you've made the changes through the years. Didn't you used to have a nice collection of scotch where the records are now (half wall)? I know we all struggle with record storage...but hopefully the scotch survives...

Really like the colors/artwork in your room to!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
You sure that part of your home is not tilting down a few degrees under the load of all of those amps??? :D

Seriously, seems like a very comfortable room and nice system.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Awesome pics ! Peter has mentioned to me a few times listening to your system-how great it sounds. I've been watching as you've made the changes through the years. Didn't you used to have a nice collection of scotch where the records are now (half wall)? I know we all struggle with record storage...but hopefully the scotch survives...

Really like the colors/artwork in your room to!

Well you'll be happy to know I didn't drink it all. I worried that it might have been impacting the sound a bit so I moved it just out of the room:
The good stuff.jpg

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Looks great Ian!
How's the Xs Phono sounding these days? Getting what you want out of it?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Just stunning! Well done Ian, a dream system

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Wow nice listening room! I can see why you're such big vinyl fan with that awesome collection! Which of the Beatles box sets on vinyl is your favourite? I like Rubber Soul in mono much better. They did an annoying job on the stereo version of that album.

Last edited:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
That's a beautiful system and room.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Looks great, congrats!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
What ended up happening with the Vierro cables??

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Congratulations Ian!!! Your system is an audiophile's Dream Team. Your system and Frank's are my two favorites. I'm so happy that the Pass XS-150 monoblocks worked out for you. It was a brilliant move, picking those up.

Enjoy,
Ken

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Congratulations Ian!!! Your system is an audiophile's Dream Team. Your system and Frank's are my two favorites. I'm so happy that the Pass XS-150 monoblocks worked out for you. It was a brilliant move, picking those up.

Enjoy,
Ken

Thanks for the kind words. Might not have been enjoying these awesome XS-150's if it wasn't for you!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Enjoy,
Ken

I agree completely. I heard Ian's XA160.8, then the XS150. His XP30, then the XS PRE. His XP20, then the XS PHONO. Each time, the XS component was a significant improvement, easily heard through the amazingly revealing Magico M Pro speakers. Ack is correct. This is a dream system and it sounds very convincing with vinyl. Ian is also a very gracious host with an incredible collection of music. As many who have followed the evolution of his system in these pages know, the system has really changed over time. It has been a joy and very educational for me to have heard many of the changes first hand. I have learned a lot, and this system is my reference for reproduced music.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I think your room pulls off a nice blend of livability and being an audiophile. This is ideal to me, in that exact iteration or not. While some dedicated rooms are very nice in all ways, I prefer some windows and the inclination to be in the room even without music on.

audiohippo

Jan 12, 2016
Australia
Very impressive system. How do you find the Sigma cables? Did you upgrade them from the Alpha's while having the Pass XA/XP's? or only when you moved to the XS?

I am looking at both the Alpha's and Sigma's for my system.

Congrats again!

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Thanks for the kind words. Might not have been enjoying these awesome XS-150's if it wasn't for you!

Awe shucks, thanks Ian! :eek:

Ken

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Congrats on a very impressive system. Love the decor. I see my fav Cao Ila lurking in the corner.
Would love to get your impressions of the Kronos Pro as I may be headed in that direction
Pradeep

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing