Location, Location, Location....

R Johnson

Jul 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The front Lower Balcony at Chicago is simply terrific as you know. The clarity and impact of the double bass and lower brass is just wonderful.
I've never had the opportunity to compare various seats in the Lower Balcony. Any place I've been sounded very good. I think the critics generally had seats a few rows up. Some critics have complained about "dry" acoustics quite frequently.

What I like most about the LB is the visual aspect with close proximity to the stage. This is probably a function of the site -- relatively wide, but not very deep (especially before the acquisition of the alley behind the stage.) Balconies in most "shoe-box" halls start many rows further back.

I like the Gallery for a variety of reasons.The price for a 5 concert Thursdays package is $175 versus $720 for the front of the LB. Or $1,050 vs $4,320 for my 30 Thursday nights. The LB experience is better but not 4x better. My 10x monocular helps quite a bit when needed - say to watch piano players.

A virtue of my 9th row seats is that there are NO stair steps at all. Just take the elevator to 6 and walk to the seats. A quick exit to Adams Street via the Rotunda elevator.

I'll be hearing Danill Trifonov playing Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No. 3 in a couple hours.

Ron

Reactions: the sound of Tao

stirlingtrayle

Stirling,
Enjoy exploring your seating choices. Sitting up close can be very satisfying, particularly for chamber, or a piano and violin concerto. One advantage is that you get to see the expression on the musician's faces which can really translate to appreciation of the piece and the performance. Sometimes, a new location can really be an educational experience. I remember thinking I should try the upper balcony at Carnegie because many of the regulars (and even HP) thought it was sonically excellent, and it was, but in a way I had not assumed it might be.

Any live music is...all good!
Marty
Marty,

Thank you. You are correct, "any live music is...all good! " I need to explore more balcony seating. I've come to really like Orchestra Center section J-N at Davies Hall. Maybe I'm hearing less of the hall there, and that's why I like it. But I do really enjoy the immediacy of proximity.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing