Little Bit of Heaven 94.7 KMET Tweedle Dee, and What FM Radio used to be.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Little Bit of Heaven 94.7 KMET Tweedle Dee, and What FM Radio used to be.

The subject of FM Tuners got brought up again and got me to thinking about FM Radio in general and the lack of quality program material and lack of listener involvement these days.

I am speaking from a mostly Rock & Roll DJ time slot. I am not referring to Classical, Jazz or Talk Radio.

In June 1968 94.7 KMET was born and radio in Southern California was changed forever and it would appear will never be the same again.
The birth of Free-Form Radio on the West Coast. The DJ’s involved the listeners in their 4 hours sets. I call them sets because that’s what they were, it was not a time slot or a block. We would base gatherings at one another’s homes and listen and take part of that particular DJ’s “set”. Heck we would even sit in a car somewhere and listen to a set, plenty of dead car batteries.

We were able to call in and go on the air live and have an effect on the momentum of the set, actually choose the songs played. They would hold local events and we got to meet and party live on the air with other listeners in and around the area. The concert events were legendary. We could actually hang with and talk to these people.

Mr. Jim (Lord have mercy) Ladd ran a 10pm to 2am set every night that we at least weekly, more often in the summers, we would gather all the necessary supplies, turn it up to 11 and get into and participate in the set. When it was over we would pile into our cars and go to JoJo’s and graze. We all listened to his set every night, even when not together as a group, and would talk about it the next day. We were there when he coined the “Headsets” name for his show. His shows always did and still do, he is on XM Deep Tracks, have themes that the listener determines the final destination. He calls his faithful his “Tribe”.

All the other DJ’s, Cynthia Fox, Raechel Donahue, Bob Coburn, Dr. Demento, Jeff “Gonzo” Gonzer, Paraquat Kelly, China Smith, The Burner Mary Turner, Ace Young and the rest of the cast of misfits all had their own shows with personality, character and intractability.

Here in Southern California with the fair weather also holds special KMET memories with the radio blasting, abundant sunshine and tanned bikini clad (married one of them) girls running around, refreshments everywhere and just enjoying the moment. At one two week gathering at my parents’ house (they were out of town), my buddies all brought over their stereos and we patched them all together through the tape circuits and we had 7 pairs of speakers in the living room, our own Wall of Sound if you will. We had multiple turntables and tape decks and would mix our own sets, Great Times!

If no one wanted to mix a set, flip on KMET and let it rip, no worries other than commercials.

At 10pm every night during that two week period we would put the 14 speakers in a circle, all other activities came to a halt, and sit in the middle and listen to Jims set for the full 4 hours. It was something that just happened and we looked forward to it. It was religion.

You never had to worry about a bad set, you could ALWAYS count on KMET to instantly cover the moment’s music needs.

Then corporate radio happened. KMET came to an end 1/14/87 (actually 1/6/87)in an instant no warning to them.

All the DJ’s literally came to work that day and found locked doors and a final check. They all went over to KLOS and had a big cry out that day live on the air.

Such a fantastic station with so much soul zapped into DJ free smooth jazz station that just sucked. It was a business decision and in the end the DJ’s did not hold a grudge.

KMET was inducted into the Rock Radio Hall of Fame in the Legends of Rock Radio Stations in 2014.

In 2009 and 2013, 100.3 The Sound had KMET tribute days and all the KMET DJ’s came in and did sets like in the old days.

Jim Ladd, the father of Free-Form radio is on XM Deep Tracks and with the exception of a few that have passed, the rest are still on the air on other stations mostly in the Southern California area.

That magic has never been recaptured. KLOS came close but is a corporate playlist, as well as KLSX was, before it went 24/7 talk.
KMET spawned KNAC for Heavy Metal for many years but at least when KNAC went down the DJ’s knew about it and were able to do a proper farewell. There last song was Fade To Black by Metallica, then the next song was Spanish music, as it still is today.

The only station Southern California has now that even has a hint of rebel is 100.3 The Sound where my friend Uncle Joe Benson (R.I.P. The Seventh Day) is a DJ. They shake it up as much as they can, but ultimately it’s a corporate playlist. For those that never got to partake in The Seventh Day, on Sunday nights Joe took seven albums and played them in their entirety. What a fantastic way to hear new music.

I love FM radio and still put a giant antenna on my roof (or attic) with a rotor and listen to radio, it just does not have the same magic.

The jingle

A TV spot

Some radio time on KLSX the next week after getting axed. Oh god that week of that relentless heart beat. Plus you learn where Whoo.a or Whoo.ya came from. That phrase was used so much by the youth of the time.

KMET006-001.jpg

93584910.jpg

KMET-Collage-3.jpg

whooa.jpg

kmet_concert_guide_02.jpg

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks for that lovely piece of history.
We are still pretty well served here in the UK by the BBC and other stations both for rock and classical, the latter very well served.
Nothing like the excitement and vibrancy of the early am pirate radio stations but a number of their DJs live on on the BBC.
We have a guy called Johnny Walker on BBC Radio 2 who does a show Sounds of the Seventies on Sunday afternoons and often reminisces about working on an FM station in SF around the same period.
Great times!

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Does make me think of the WBCN days from the late 60's 70's out of Boston.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Although I never listened as intently as you did Mike, I arrived in So Cal in 1978 and 94.7 KMET was certainly the station to have on . I loved it. We frequently played it in the O.R. during cases.

Great bit of nostalgia Mike

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Although I never listened as intently as you did Mike, I arrived in So Cal in 1978 and 94.7 KMET was certainly the station to have on . I loved it. We frequently played it in the O.R. during cases.

Great bit of nostalgia Mike

I remember turning on KMET on 1/6 and hearing that ridiculous heartbeat and soon turned to KLOS and all the KMET DJs were there crying and wondering WTF.

They literally just locked the doors and said to bad so sad, if even that.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Growing up in Montreal I listened to CHOM-FM. It was album-centric with a heavy focus on Progressive Rock from Britain and Quebec. For some reason Quebec really latched on to Prog Rock, moreso than anywhere else in North America, and that suited me just fine. Prior to my living in Montreal I lived in The Netherlands and we had access to the pirate radio stations floating about in the North Sea. Radio-Free Europe and Radio Luxembourg were mainstays for the younger generation and the American sounds commercial radio didn't quite appreciate in the quite early to mid sixties.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Growing up in Montreal I listened to CHOM-FM. It was album-centric with a heavy focus on Progressive Rock from Britain and Quebec. For some reason Quebec really latched on to Prog Rock, moreso than anywhere else in North America, and that suited me just fine. Prior to my living in Montreal I lived in The Netherlands and we had access to the pirate radio stations floating about in the North Sea. Radio-Free Europe and Radio Luxembourg were mainstays for the younger generation and the American sounds commercial radio didn't quite appreciate in the quite early to mid sixties.

Johnny post #4 was for you!:p

KMET was our Prog/Rock outlet, KNAC for Metal and KLOS/KLSX what is now Classic Rock.

Obviously I am a huge Rush fan but also have a nice collection of Max Webster/Kim Mitchel and Triumph.

KCAL is a current station that is Metal/Rock/Alternative/Grunge and is about the only station I can put on in the garage and leave alone. They have some listener interaction, but you have to get used to hydroponics commercials every 10 minutes.

They stream online if you want to check them out.

We are in a different time where its so much more about the money than having a product that is fun and enjoyable. Even on the rare occasions when a live broadcasts are done they are so structured, sterile, scripted and removed from the listener.

Almost like the Nascar drivers in winners circle thanking countless sponsors for 5 minutes, stating what a great race and then jumping off the stage and going to his hauler.

I guess I am just getting old gosh dangit. :(

Search Jim Ladd, Cynthia Fox and Bob Coburn on You Tube, they did some phenomenal interviews from back in the day, if I recall Cynthia did SRV interview.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing