Listening chair...fixed or moveable ?

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
These are concerns from audiophiles who care more about sound than they do the music. How sad that sound has become more important than the art you're presented with.
Who cares what chair you use. Be comfortable and enjoy.

Moving your chair can help nullify room bass reinforcement issues.

If you do this, your system will sound better and, dare I say, increase your "enjoyment" of music.

I thought that this was why we buy this gear. Read connecting more with the "art".

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Moving your chair can help nullify room bass reinforcement issues.

If you do this, your system will sound better and, dare I say, increase your "enjoyment" of music.

I thought that this was why we buy this gear. Read connecting more with the "art".

It is more than just the bass, but I agree wholeheartedly with your second sentence. Why this Johnny Vinyl person thinks that enjoyment is inversely proportional to the quality of the sound is beyond me, but for me, I find I enjoy the music most when it is sounding the best my system is capable of sounding. Why he claims there is a disconnect between the two is beyond me.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
you are describing the normal listening environment. it's not like your head must be within an inch of an exact spot for the music to be cohesive. every system will have it's variance of degrees of exactitude as far as how much leeway you have until you get tonal or soundstage changes.

OTOH when one wants to be exactly in the right spot then there ought to be a method at your listening spot to be there for those 'all-in' moments.

personally I have a tape line in the wood floor at the front of my room with a line down the middle I can sight along to the rear wall duplex outlet for the exact center. then I can sight between my speaker towers to two other duplex outlets on either side for my exact depth. my room is 100% symmetrical so that works for me. and when I want to be exactly right on for critical listening then I know I can be there. and then when I move my big tall chair to the side and move my other chair into the sweet spot for when I have visitors I can dial it in quickly to the exact right spot.

Nice to hear that what I described is indeed a normal listening experience, which I kinda suspected anyway. When I am really in a zone or commit myself to listen critically for whatever reason I tend to remain fairly static and I'm aware that there is a spot I need to avail myself of, and I do. BTW...my favourite and most comfortable position is leaned back and slightly slouched with eyes closed. This relaxed postion allows me to absorb whatever the media/speaker is delivering with the most accuracy, given the condition/ability of my ears.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Nice to hear that what I described is indeed a normal listening experience, which I kinda suspected anyway. When I am really in a zone or commit myself to listen critically for whatever reason I tend to remain fairly static and I'm aware that there is a spot I need to avail myself of, and I do. BTW...my favourite and most comfortable position is leaned back and slightly slouched with eyes closed. This relaxed postion allows me to absorb whatever the media/speaker is delivering with the most accuracy, given the condition/ability of my ears.

JV,

"leaned back and slightly slouched with eyes closed"

What I find is often when I am in the "zone" my wife finds me, leaning forward, eyes closed (because I am sleeping) and drooling on my shirt. Now that's enjoyment!

LOL

Enjoy and Happy New Year.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
JV,

"leaned back and slightly slouched with eyes closed"

What I find is often when I am in the "zone" my wife finds me, leaning forward, eyes closed (because I am sleeping) and drooling on my shirt. Now that's enjoyment!

LOL

Enjoy and Happy New Year.

When I got my Ekornes Reno a few friends found it too comfortable and objected that they would feel asleep too easily. It happened to me once sometime ago - it was late night and I felt asleep before pushing the play button ...

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
When I got my Ekornes Reno a few friends found it too comfortable and objected that they would feel asleep too easily. It happened to me once sometime ago - it was late night and I felt asleep before pushing the play button ...

I hear you. At this stage of my life, I am working 6 hours a day, usually between 4-10pm and when I get home is when I like to listen to my music. While I don't have a "comfortable" chair such as an Ekornes (although I bought a very comfortable Varier which is now in the family room), even with my less than optimal comfort chair, I find myself in the position you describe. The Varier was just too comfortable.

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
Consider the concert hall or opera house. When you attend, what if you can't get the "best" seat?? Oh, the horror.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Consider the concert hall or opera house. When you attend, what if you can't get the "best" seat?? Oh, the horror.

WTF does that have to do with anything. That is another "myth" I enjoy on these threads. "I want to reproduce the live concert". Well that is another issue. Some live concerts suck because the hall sucks, the use of amplification sucks, your seats suck, etc.

HOWEVER, when I listen at home, I don't have to deal with those variables of sitting off center, in the orchestra or in the mezzanine. Again, sit wherever you want, enjoy your system anyway you want BUT don't espouse that there is no such thing as correct chair location including height, because that is just outright wrong. Whether one wants to take advantage of that sweet spot is their own decision.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I'm with Peter. the seating position rules for live and stereo reproduction are radically different.

with 'live' you get 100% of 'reality' for whatever seat you are in.

with stereo reproduction we can only approach reality of the final stereo mix (which is aimed at optimization in a particular speaker/seating orientation.....and......which might be quite different from the actual recording) to a variable degree depending on the whole performance envelope of our reproduction room/system a part of which is the optimization of our seating position relative to our speakers and room. personal taste can also enter into the choice of the ideal seating position.

in any case; where you sit live has much different consequences compared to where you sit for stereo reproduction. the type of performance having the most clear affect on that position.

Last edited:

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I'm with Peter. the seating position rules for live and stereo reproduction are radically different.

with 'live' you get 100% of 'reality' for whatever seat you are in.

with stereo reproduction we can only approach reality of the final stereo mix (which is aimed at optimization in a particular speaker/seating orientation.....and......which might be quite different from the actual recording) to a variable degree depending on the whole performance envelope of our reproduction room/system a part of which is the optimization of our seating position relative to our speakers and room. personal taste can also enter into the choice of the ideal seating position.

in any case; where you sit live has much different consequences compared to where you sit for stereo reproduction. the type of performance having the most clear affect on that position.

Unless I am reading what Peter wrote wrong, I believe the point he was making was why the big deal about the sweet spot regarding one's stereo when the same rarely occurs at a concert or live event.

Two separate issues IMHO and one has nothing to do with the other. One of the nice things about a stereo is one always has the best and optimal seat; well at least some on this forum do.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Unless I am reading what Peter wrote wrong, I believe the point he was making was why the big deal about the sweet spot regarding one's stereo when the same rarely occurs at a concert or live event.

Two separate issues IMHO and one has nothing to do with the other. One of the nice things about a stereo is one always has the best and optimal seat; well at least some on this forum do.

The point I was trying to convey is that a live concert event, especially one which is not amplified, but straight acoustic instruments, is a completely different experience and one that is not analogous to a two-channel recording being reproduced through a two-channel stereo system. The latter is an attempt, however flawed, to recreate the former within the limitations of technology. As such, a more accurate sense of image, presence, and I dare say, believability, occurs when the listener is located equidistant from the two speakers along with certain other optimized parameters.

Last edited:

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
The point I was trying to convey is that a live concert event, especially one which is not amplified, but straight acoustic instruments, is a completely different experience and one that is not analogous to a two-channel recording being reproduced through a two-channel stereo system. The latter is a attempt, however flawed, to recreate the former within the limitations of technology. As such, a more accurate sense of image and presence occurs when the listener is located equidistant from the two speakers along with certain other optimized parameters.

Gotcha.

I can't argue with your logic, especially an event that is not amplified or "artificial".

Thanks for the clarification.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
It is more than just the bass, but I agree wholeheartedly with your second sentence.

It most certainly is and I was stating what I thought was the obvious.

Until you get the mid / lower bass balance correct, you can't address the other issues since this spectrum has a dominant impact on everything above those frequencies.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

Until you get the mid / lower bass balance correct, you can't address the other issues since this spectrum has a dominant impact on everything above those frequencies.

I couldn't agree more. I have taken tons of sh-t for expressing similar opinions.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

I couldn't agree more. I have taken tons of sh-t for expressing similar opinions.

I agree as well and I bet many others here will also

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Last night, I happened to raise myself up in my chair, and then noticed a big improvement in sound as my ears went above the tweeter. This really surprised me since I was considering bigger speaker spikes to raise the tweeter higher, based on improvements with previous speakers. I replaced my recliner with one of my home office chairs. Since height is the only adjustment on this chair it is doing a great job of measuring. I can't believe the improvement result from this tweak.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
WTF does that have to do with anything. That is another "myth" I enjoy on these threads. "I want to reproduce the live concert". Well that is another issue. Some live concerts suck because the hall sucks, the use of amplification sucks, your seats suck, etc.

HOWEVER, when I listen at home, I don't have to deal with those variables of sitting off center, in the orchestra or in the mezzanine. Again, sit wherever you want, enjoy your system anyway you want BUT don't espouse that there is no such thing as correct chair location including height, because that is just outright wrong. Whether one wants to take advantage of that sweet spot is their own decision.

Sir i agree 99% with you the 1% is for HEIGHT for ME sitting on the floor sitting in my chair or standing as long as i STAY in the sweet spot i always hear the same the sweet spot that is another myth when i hear audiophiles say you can sit anywhere at my place and you are in the sweet spot WRONG there is only ONE sweet spot and that is DEAD CENTER.

PS: Priaptor the reason for my 1% :) 14x94x4 inches - - - Keep It Simple 1000x750.jpg

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Sir i agree 99% with you the 1% is for HEIGHT for ME sitting on the floor sitting in my chair or standing as long as i STAY in the sweet spot i always hear the same the sweet spot that is another myth when i hear audiophiles say you can sit anywhere at my place and you are in the sweet spot WRONG there is only ONE sweet spot and that is DEAD CENTER.

PS: Priaptor the reason for my 1% :) 14x94x4 inches - - - View attachment 18529

With your speakers, I understand the 1% reason. They are wonderful and yes some electrostats, particularly the Acoustats make height of the seat kind of irrelevant.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Last night, I happened to raise myself up in my chair, and then noticed a big improvement in sound as my ears went above the tweeter. This really surprised me since I was considering bigger speaker spikes to raise the tweeter higher, based on improvements with previous speakers. I replaced my recliner with one of my home office chairs. Since height is the only adjustment on this chair it is doing a great job of measuring. I can't believe the improvement result from this tweak.

BF,

Hence my point on this thread. Few tweeks are more important than the right chair including height. The Acoustats as Mr. Acoustat points out is a different animals.

I have been setting up rooms since the mid-80s and after placing the speakers in a room where "I think they belong" I then move the chair, including it's height to get the right location, including height, set. Then I tweek the placement in the room over time. The speakers I currently have, are not easily moved, so it took me several months to get it right. Then I do my room treatment if necessary.

The point being is your observation is supports the point I have been making.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing