LDMS Server

geetee1972

Feb 12, 2021
I have enjoyed an LDMS server/streamer w/ LPS for about 3 years now, I think, having talked to Lucas after reading some glowing recommendations on these forums. I think it would probably classify as a 'minimax' today, but back then it wasn't called that (and was cheaper too). It outputs only USB.

Lucas has helped optimize it for Roon over the years, but most importantly he has helped me upgrade the rest of my digital (Lampizator Atlantic TRP) + cabling (Laboga, FTA Sinope, for example) to match the LDMS server's capabilities. He is a wonderful person to work with.

I just paid for the upgraded LPS + Laboga DC cable as my first hardware upgrade. So I'm excited to hear what that will do for my streaming (which is all I listen to -- very few CDs, no LPs).

Just yesterday I auditioned a friend's very expensive system in his dedicated listening room, streaming through the top-level HifiRose streamer into a Chord Dave. Amazing soundstage and dynamics thanks to the VTL amplification and Fyne speakers, but the timbre/harmonics/tone was just off in a familiar hyper-digital manner, thanks to the digital chain. When he played a nice LP through his Rega P8 turntable, I could finally relax into the music.

LDMS/Lampizator very closely approximates that analog natural and engaging sound I heard from the Rega in my own listening room streaming from the same Qobuz source. LDMS servers are the real deal, well worth the investment in my opinion.

Anyone else upgrade to the new LDMS power supply?

Yes, as I indicated above, the new power supply, which replaced my three year old one, is a great improvement, generally across the spectrum, but very specifically the bass response was where the biggest gains were made.

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
395254958_743714961132583_265792676512267978_n.jpg

Anyone going to this?
Too bad it's a bit of a trip for us in North America but would love to hear from anyone who can make it.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
View attachment 118845

Anyone going to this?
Too bad it's a bit of a trip for us in North America but would love to hear from anyone who can make it.
I'm already here.
But I haven't met LD yet.
I hope I will see him tomorrow.

Reactions: morricab and keithc

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I'm already here.
But I haven't met LD yet.
I hope I will see him tomorrow.
Give my regards to LD, have some pierogi's and enjoy the music.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Will do :cool:

JJDtown

Apr 2, 2022
Hello,

I’d like to add my enthusiasm about LDMS to this thread.

I have a MiniMax with the power supply upgrade. It arrived about 6 weeks ago and I’ve used it pretty much non-stop since then in conjunction with a Mojo Mystique X SE DAC (an R2R) that I got at about the same time.

The sound coming from this combo is relaxed and natural but strikingly detailed at the same time. The thing I think I notice most of all is the absence of what I’d call a “digital haze.” Another way of saying this might simply be that this server/DAC pairing is extremely quiet. The music emerges from a stillness or blackness that allows you to experience the space between sounds. This of course gives greater precision and definition to the sounds themselves. On some recordings the presence can be stunning - at times it’s as if a vocalist is actually in the room with me.

I’ll add that working with Lucas was extremely easy - he’s a good guy and you can order from him with confidence.

Redwoodaudio

Aug 25, 2021
I have enjoyed an LDMS server/streamer w/ LPS for about 3 years now, I think, having talked to Lucas after reading some glowing recommendations on these forums. I think it would probably classify as a 'minimax' today, but back then it wasn't called that (and was cheaper too). It outputs only USB.

Lucas has helped optimize it for Roon over the years, but most importantly he has helped me upgrade the rest of my digital (Lampizator Atlantic TRP) + cabling (Laboga, FTA Sinope, for example) to match the LDMS server's capabilities. He is a wonderful person to work with.

I just paid for the upgraded LPS + Laboga DC cable as my first hardware upgrade. So I'm excited to hear what that will do for my streaming (which is all I listen to -- very few CDs, no LPs).

Just yesterday I auditioned a friend's very expensive system in his dedicated listening room, streaming through the top-level HifiRose streamer into a Chord Dave. Amazing soundstage and dynamics thanks to the VTL amplification and Fyne speakers, but the timbre/harmonics/tone was just off in a familiar hyper-digital manner, thanks to the digital chain. When he played a nice LP through his Rega P8 turntable, I could finally relax into the music.

LDMS/Lampizator very closely approximates that analog natural and engaging sound I heard from the Rega in my own listening room streaming from the same Qobuz source. LDMS servers are the real deal, well worth the investment in my opinion.

I've had the upgraded power supply for my LDMS server/streamer for about a week now. After a few days of burning-in, the sound it makes is better across the board. Maybe more "clear" and "dimensional" if I had to be subjective about it. Well worth the investment in my opinion.

Reactions: ihmeyers

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
Yes, as I indicated above, the new power supply, which replaced my three year old one, is a great improvement, generally across the spectrum, but very specifically the bass response was where the biggest gains were made.

I spoke to Lucas at length today as he helped me get my server set up again after my move to Atlanta. I am ordering the new power supply as well and am thinking about updating the entire server. There is a one box solution with the new server that sounds interesting. There can never be enough Lucas Domanskys in high-end audio.

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
Friends:

For the past 6 months I have been using a relatively basic power cord (Shunyata Venom V10 NR) from my power conditioner to the Minimax's hybrid PSU with much musical enjoyment (in comparison I saved the more 'higher end' power cords to my DAC/amp/etc). However, as an experiment this week where I am trialing a few power cords, I just thought to try the QSA-Lanedri Gamma Infinity and the Shunyata Alpha V2 into the LDMS PSU, and oh my god it has a significant difference.

While I can describe differences in the most minutia of microdetails, holographics, etc., the actual most obvious effect is that there is a culmination of increased realism where I feel the singers are a lot more palpable. The vocals somehow are more real, more balanced (almost like looking at the difference between an AI picture and a real picture), and the experience just closer to reality.

Your mileage may vary, but if you have a spare / can borrow the highest caliber power cord, I'd suggest just doing the same experiment. I was *really* hoping that the hybrid PSU would negate any such upstream effects, but wow there's a depth of untapped potential here!

Curious what you find.

Keith

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020
This is no server, but has anyone tried LDMS audiooptimised router or switch?

Reactions: keithc

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Friends:

For the past 6 months I have been using a relatively basic power cord (Shunyata Venom V10 NR) from my power conditioner to the Minimax's hybrid PSU with much musical enjoyment (in comparison I saved the more 'higher end' power cords to my DAC/amp/etc). However, as an experiment this week where I am trialing a few power cords, I just thought to try the QSA-Lanedri Gamma Infinity and the Shunyata Alpha V2 into the LDMS PSU, and oh my god it has a significant difference.

While I can describe differences in the most minutia of microdetails, holographics, etc., the actual most obvious effect is that there is a culmination of increased realism where I feel the singers are a lot more palpable. The vocals somehow are more real, more balanced (almost like looking at the difference between an AI picture and a real picture), and the experience just closer to reality.

Your mileage may vary, but if you have a spare / can borrow the highest caliber power cord, I'd suggest just doing the same experiment. I was *really* hoping that the hybrid PSU would negate any such upstream effects, but wow there's a depth of untapped potential here!

Curious what you find.

Keith
So which Power cord do you like?

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
So which Power cord do you like?

Right now it's:
Wall -> QSA Landeri Spectra Prince -> Shunyata Denali V2
-> Shunyata Alpha V2 -> LDMS
-> Sablon Prince -> Lampizator Pacific 2
-> QSA Lanedri Gamma Infinity -> Ampsandsound amplifier.

It's just so good I don't dare put my hands near the gear anymore. It's like after months of new gear, new tubes and adapters, new power and grounding cables, I've finally emerged at the top of the audio jungle. Don't want to mess it up.

But to be fair, it's not like I have multiple copies of these cables to try various gear permutations, etc.
I'm sure if you plug your incoming Infinity into the LDMS it'd go warp speed :eek:;)

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
@Willgolf

How’s it sounding Will? Eager to hear your thoughts.

Hi Will. I just purchased an upgraded power supply from Lucas. We talked about your server (didn't know it was yours) but it was a little above what I wanted to spend though I do want to upgrade my now 3 year old server.

I'm interested in seeing how the upgraded power supply works out in my systems. After 24 hrs it's too dark and isn't imaging great, but I know it needs 4 days of burn in. It also seems much more sensitive to power cords than the Farad it replaces. I'm using an FTA PC because that sounds the best of what I've got on hand.

Hoping it improves significantly over the next 72 hrs. Lucas is great to deal with and I really wanted to try out something new he has that everyone seems to love.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Hi Will. I just purchased an upgraded power supply from Lucas. We talked about your server (didn't know it was yours) but it was a little above what I wanted to spend though I do want to upgrade my now 3 year old server.

I'm interested in seeing how the upgraded power supply works out in my systems. After 24 hrs it's too dark and isn't imaging great, but I know it needs 4 days of burn in. It also seems much more sensitive to power cords than the Farad it replaces. I'm using an FTA PC because that sounds the best of what I've got on hand.

Hoping it improves significantly over the next 72 hrs. Lucas is great to deal with and I really wanted to try out something new he has that everyone seems to love.
I think you need 300 hours before doing any critical analysis and listening. The upgraded PS is night and day better. There is more detail, better bass and vocals. That is really what you want from a PS. Yes, a PC can impact the sound to a degree. I have used the Hijiri Nagomi on my LDMS. All of my PC's are either Hijiri Takumi or QSA.
The other option to consider is an upgraded fuse in the PS. In both of my LDMS PS's I had a SR fuse installed in them. My Current LDMS, I am using the stock fuse. Did you use the DL cable between the LDMS and the PS?

Reactions: ihmeyers

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
I think you need 300 hours before doing any critical analysis and listening. The upgraded PS is night and day better. There is more detail, better bass and vocals. That is really what you want from a PS. Yes, a PC can impact the sound to a degree. I have used the Hijiri Nagomi on my LDMS. All of my PC's are either Hijiri Takumi or QSA.
The other option to consider is an upgraded fuse in the PS. In both of my LDMS PS's I had a SR fuse installed in them. My Current LDMS, I am using the stock fuse. Did you use the DL cable between the LDMS and the PS?

I have the LaBoga cable between the server and the PS. I bought that when we upgraded my server from the original PS to the Farad. I haven't done anything with the fuse yet. I asked specifically about the power cable because Lucas said that the new PS is very sensitive to power cables choices.

Wow, so almost 2 weeks of break-in. That's tough for an impatient guy like me, lol. Lucas said let it sit at least 4 days before listening. I couldn't wait that long so listened for about an hr today after installing it yesterday afternoon. It clearly need more break-in time. Everyone I know that's bought one says it's a night and day improvement. I guess the sound is somewhat customizable based on the PS settings. Lucas sets it for what he feels is optimal SQ but he said it could be made more detailed or warmer depending upon what the user wants. Certainly in my main system I wouldn't want it any less detailed because I think my room is on the dark side as is. I'll probably check in on it for a little bit every afternoon to see how it's burning in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Magnuska

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
Wow, so almost 2 weeks of break-in. That's tough for an impatient guy like me, lol. Lucas said let it sit at least 4 days before listening. I couldn't wait that long so listened for about an hr today after installing it yesterday afternoon. It clearly need more break-in time. Everyone I know that's bought one says it's a night and day improvement. I guess the sound is somewhat customizable based on the PS settings. Lucas sets in for what he feels is optimal SQ but he said it could be made more detailed or warmer depending upon the user wants. Certainly in my main system I wouldn't want it any less detailed because I think my room is on the dark side as is. I'll probably check in on it for a little bit every afternoon to see how it's burning in.

My limited experience changing power cords on the hybrid PSU would agree with that -- there's a significant impact of power cords going to the LDMS.

Phon@ix

Jul 27, 2019
ZRH

Yes:
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/ldms-server.27781/post-820853

Two months ago I upgraded LDMS’s hybrid PSU from SR Purple to SR Master fuse… Since two weeks I’m using SR M also in the 3R Master Time.. What can I say? Holy F*!!$#!! Next level adventure!

Server Cabling: David Laboga
PSU footers: Nova Pads
Server and PSU sit on Symposium Svelte Shelfs

Happy New Year to the LDMS Family!

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
Yes:
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/ldms-server.27781/post-820853

Two months ago I upgraded LDMS’s hybrid PSU from SR Purple to SR Master fuse… Since two weeks I’m using SR M also in the 3R Master Time.. What can I say? Holy F*!!$#!! Next level adventure!

Server Cabling: David Laboga
PSU footers: Nova Pads
Server and PSU sit on Symposium Svelte Shelfs

Happy New Year to the LDMS Family!

Appreciate your sharing. I'm still using the stock fuse w/ the hybrid PSU, really excited to see the gains for putting in something else.
Was the change from stock to SRPurple as big as from Purple to Master?

What fuse spec did you use?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing