Latest Q1 ad shows Magico doesn't get Marketing Strategy

Husk

Member Sponsor
Apr 20, 2010
Spokane, Wa.
I would say that it is not just Jv who is a cheerleader. Jeff Fritz of Soundstage, Alan Sircon of HiFi+ and Paul Miller of Hi Fi news in the UK have all written VERY favorable reviews of the Q3.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Caesar

I think you are committing the cardinal sin of Marketing: You are approaching the marketing of specific products as you would have liked to be it to be marketed to you. And judging from what I have read here you seem to be a Wilson fan and as clearly not a Magico fan ...
Now on the Accuracy thing. You have consistently put accurate within quotes e.g you last post and likely those that came before ...
Their house sound is "accurate" and this is evident to anyone who listens to the speaker
.. Last time I checked it is still called Hi-Fi which would suggest accuracy I think .. Paths to reach Accuracy or if you prefer "accuracy", will be different, the same way Audi, BMW, Lexus or Mercedes approach performance or Luxury in cars .. The Mercedes C63 is an example .. it is geared toward performance with a touch of luxury (actually the target is the mighty M3, they have missed it :) ) same with Wilson's current lineup which if you follow the brand is more neutral than their predecessors ....well ... more accurate .. I have heard the X-2 Series I and the Series II and frankly the Series II is closer to neutral than ANY Wilson speaker I have heard, its owners would tell you that the Series II is more .... accurate than the one which was more ...euphonic ... I would think Wilson is also after some "accuracy" of sort, else what are doing? Reproducing? or creating? I would prefer my speakers to reproduce, I'll leave the creating to artists and producers ...speaking for my very own self here ....

Time will tell how far Magico will go .. So far it looks like it will be very far...

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I think Magico has passed Wilson in many ways. Unless Wilson revamps their product line in a big way at CES this year, they will be left behind. Its time for them to push forward and leave their 20 year old tweeter behind.

100% agree (and it's a shame as I've owned Wilsons twice)

My guess is Dave Wilson knows this and will surprise us all in the next year.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
100% agree (and it's a shame as I've owned Wilsons twice)

My guess is Dave Wilson knows this and will surprise us all in the next year.

I doubt DW will change the tweeters in the current model line.

They introduced two new speakers this year, the Polaris and the Mezzo. Both use the Focal tweeter.

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Honestly, I don't see how it could be different, for Magico.

- the company is new: this is of dramatic relevance, if you want to speak about epiphanies.
- the products are very expensive: this attracts the audiophiles a lot, people usually don't dream about "cheap" products.
- all the press comments are enthusiast: not only in the US, Magico speakers have been welcomed as perfect speakers.

From the marketing point of view, an "old" and well established brand cannot compete with a new phenomenon. It has been the very same thing with the Soulution electronics, now maybe "obscured" by Constellation Audio.
Notwithstanding, I trust that Wilson sells more pieces than Magico, as well as Mark Levinson (or Pass, or ARC...) sells more than Constellation Audio.
In the end, not everyone can afford a Q5, and the Q1 cost something between the Sophia 3 and the Sasha...

caesar

May 30, 2010
I think Magico has passed Wilson in many ways. Unless Wilson revamps their product line in a big way at CES this year, they will be left behind. Its time for them to push forward and leave their 20 year old tweeter behind.

Randall, what criteria is this based on? Do you have any sales or profitability numbers to support your statement?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Caesar

I think you are committing the cardinal sin of Marketing: You are approaching the marketing of specific products as you would have liked to be it to be marketed to you. And judging from what I have read here you seem to be a Wilson fan and as clearly not a Magico fan ...
Now on the Accuracy thing. You have consistently put accurate within quotes e.g you last post and likely those that came before ... .. Last time I checked it is still called Hi-Fi which would suggest accuracy I think .. Paths to reach Accuracy or if you prefer "accuracy", will be different, the same way Audi, BMW, Lexus or Mercedes approach performance or Luxury in cars .. The Mercedes C63 is an example .. it is geared toward performance with a touch of luxury (actually the target is the mighty M3, they have missed it :) ) same with Wilson's current lineup which if you follow the brand is more neutral than their predecessors ....well ... more accurate .. I have heard the X-2 Series I and the Series II and frankly the Series II is closer to neutral than ANY Wilson speaker I have heard, its owners would tell you that the Series II is more .... accurate than the one which was more ...euphonic ... I would think Wilson is also after some "accuracy" of sort, else what are doing? Reproducing? or creating? I would prefer my speakers to reproduce, I'll leave the creating to artists and producers ...speaking for my very own self here ....

Time will tell how far Magico will go .. So far it looks like it will be very far...

Not sure I agree, Frantz. For the record, I could enjoy Magicos with ancillaries that would give them more body. But I would prefer the Wilson Alexandria with D'Agostino's amps much more. With that said, neither Wilson nor Magico is my dream speaker. I am just observing both companies struggle with their marketing strategies. (See my other thread in the Wilson forum.)

However, good marketing - which is what this thread is about - is not about my tastes or your tastes. It is about what the customer will buy. There is no doubt that Magico is about "accuracy", and sounds like this speaker will appeal to you as you are interested in high-fidelity. But in addition to the high-fidelity segment, there are other market segments as well. As you know, some people do buy SET amps, listen to "euphonic" vinyl, use tubes, etc..., to please their tastes.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I would say that it is not just Jv who is a cheerleader. Jeff Fritz of Soundstage, Alan Sircon of HiFi+ and Paul Miller of Hi Fi news in the UK have all written VERY favorable reviews of the Q3.

True. All of these guys like speaker. But no one is as flagrant as JV. Check out his latest RMAF report blog on the avguide site where he takes an awful pot shot at the newly released Nola speaker, suggesting that it needs a cabinet redesign to get the bass right. What happened to old fashioned reporting about a show? And who thought this was a nice industry? Seems like a Tonya Harding moment to me.

I response to Valin/ Wolf, the Nola team should come out with an ad based on the old Wendy's "Where's the Beef" commercial: "Where's the Emotion?". A few old ladies come out, tapping their finger nails on the Magico aluminum ..."that's one stiff speaker"..."sure is...".... A Clara Peller-like asks "Where's the Emotion?".. Voice over: "If you want to feel emotion and get closer to your music, get a Nola"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug75diEyiA0

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Caesar, Great idea. Love it.
Even though I love Magico (esp. the Q5, apart from the choked bass ;-) I agree: it would be a great commercial :) ...even if the only aim is to annoy Alon Wolf (which is never a bad thing) haha

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing