Latest krell saga

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
It is really unacceptable - this means a signal to noise ratio of about 75 dB against the specification of 120dB! Even the tubed Audio Research REF150 I am using has less than .001V in any of the channels. Was this measured without speakers?

Considering the expense and trouble to ship it, I would try to carry it to another place with a good mains supply, and measure it there.

That was measured with speakers attached. I took the measurements on the set of binding posts that aren't being used.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
That was measured with speakers attached. I took the measurements on the set of binding posts that aren't being used.

Can you repeat them with the speakers not connected? Just in case there is a grounding path between their negatives, creating a loop.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I didn't know it was ok to turn on the amp with no load attached.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

As far as I know it is not a problem. Specially because as you have shorting plugs in the input there will be no signals in the output. I have always burned in my solid state amplifiers in such way and never got problems.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I thought that was only the case with most tube amplifiers. If it's an issue with SS, then I'd be a little surprised.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Can you repeat them with the speakers not connected? Just in case there is a grounding path between their negatives, creating a loop.

OK. No speakers connected: .007 left and .008 right. I shorted the probes together with the meter set to AC and it didn't null. It was .007 with the probes shorted. I also reconnected the speakers but unplugged the subs that are built into my speakers and powered the amp up andthere was no difference in the hum level.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
OK. No speakers connected: .007 left and .008 right. I shorted the probes together with the meter set to AC and it didn't null. It was .007 with the probes shorted. I also reconnected the speakers but unplugged the subs that are built into my speakers and powered the amp up andthere was no difference in the hum level.
Interesting. My multimeter is nowhere of the quality of a Fluke, yet a figure of 0.007 is what I always get with shorted probes on AC -- is this a common figure?

At this stage it may be worthwhile slotting the amp into the system of a nearby agreeable friend, seeing if a completely different environment alters the behaviour ...

Frank

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Interesting. My multimeter is nowhere of the quality of a Fluke, yet a figure of 0.007 is what I always get with shorted probes on AC -- is this a common figure? (...)
Frank

Frank and Mep,

You have to scold your multimeters.
It is not possible to diagnose noise with such an high error in the multimeter. :(

Attachments

• aa1..jpg
    aa1..jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 137

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Which probably means the .007 and .008 AC readings aren't real if I can only null down to .007.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Frank and Mep,

You have to scold your multimeters.
It is not possible to diagnose noise with such an high error in the multimeter. :(

I agree ...

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I have had my Fluke 77 for over 30 years so I guess it's time for a new meter. In the world I live in, my meter would have been sent out at least yearly to be calibrated, but of course mine has never been calibrated since the day I bought it. It wouldn't be cost effective.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Hi mep,

I recognize that I'm a newbie on this site but have been involved with this hobby for some 30 years plus.

Perusing this thread and knowing what this can do to a music lover, is there a reason why you continue to try to resolve this issue versus selling and moving on?

At some point ................................?

GG

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi mep,

I recognize that I'm a newbie on this site but have been involved with this hobby for some 30 years plus.

Perusing this thread and knowing what this can do to a music lover, is there a reason why you continue to try to resolve this issue versus selling and moving on?

GG

I can think of one reason to keep trying...because when the unit is otherwise breathtaking...if it just stopped that stupid buzz...you really want to fix it. Because if you go with another product that 'works'...you're back in the whole game of the treble, the bass, the soundstage...instead of 'its magic'...i like it just the way it is.

I went down this route on my Gryphon Antileon for a year...i ended up upgrading to Gryphon Colosseum...and finally got the Antileon fixed and sold it on recently in perfect working condition.

It is rare sometimes to find 'magic', and when you do and its 'just a buzz or a hum'...it can be worth the effort to fix it.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Mark,

Is there any physical damping (weight on top, etc.) that you can safely attempt to see if you can eliminate the hum?

Lee

Lee-The answer is no. If I could get the schematic to this amp, I think the problem could be resolved. I have previously talked about a friend of mine who lives in WA and who is the most brilliant engineer I have ever met. I have been talking to him about this issue and here is one of the things he said: "I could easily believe that the magnetic field from that transformer is coupling into the input lines. Still though, if I had to bet it would be on the simpler problem of the supply filter caps, notably the ones associated with the front-end amps. We really need a schematic at this point."

The bottom line is that my friend is fairly certain (without seeing a schematic) that there is not enough filter caps on the front end of the amp.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Hi mep,

GG

Yes, there is. I don't want to sell this amp to someone and have them be unhappy and complain and want their money back because it hums. I will have to disclose the hum and tell them they may or may not hear it at their house which will also cause me to have to lower my price. With all of my shipping and repair costs, I have well over $3K invested in this amp. Anybody want to buy it for $2K plus shipping?? If so, I will pack it up tomorrow. Please let me know.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Lee-The answer is no. If I could get the schematic to this amp, I think the problem could be resolved. I have previously talked about a friend of mine who lives in WA and who is the most brilliant engineer I have ever met. I have been talking to him about this issue and here is one of the things he said: "I could easily believe that the magnetic field from that transformer is coupling into the input lines. Still though, if I had to bet it would be on the simpler problem of the supply filter caps, notably the ones associated with the front-end amps. We really need a schematic at this point."

The bottom line is that my friend is fairly certain (without seeing a schematic) that there is not enough filter caps on the front end of the amp.
This is crazy -- basically saying the engineers at Krell back then when designing the beast couldn't pick that the amp was generating a bit of hum! Well, duuuhh ...

Frank

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing