LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

budburma

May 7, 2023
Hudson Valley, NY United States
A couple of pics showing 7193 (US) vs E1148 (Euro) cap lead orientation.
I'll confirm for the CV6 when they land....

Attachments

• IMG_4671.jpeg
    IMG_4671.jpeg
    537.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4670.jpeg
    IMG_4670.jpeg
    615.1 KB · Views: 4

GroovySauce

Nov 9, 2020
I read this entire thread before I received my new GA TRP. I’ve also skimmed and searched more than I care to admit.

I took a different direction for rectifiers. I email Lukasz asking if it was okay to use a very unconventional rectifier device. He said yes, so I placed an order for a Space-Tech Labs Super Tube Rectifier. the STR-1002. I’ve been aware of the Super Tube Rectifier for a few years. Eventually I took a pass and filed it away as a curiosity. Then a buddy of mine started watering that seed…

IMG_8204.jpg
IMG_8203.jpg
IMG_8205.jpg
It can use a pair of 211, 805 or 845 tubes and uses the pair as a full wave rectifier. Use of a single tube for half wave rectification is also possible.

There is an umbilical cable that goes in the rectifier socket on the TRP and goes to the back of the STR.

Also in the back is the IEC. The power supplies the heater current for the tubes.

This means the component, TRP in this case only needs to supply the high voltage AC to be rectified so the power supply of the TRP is on easy street.

Last year I finished my dedicated fully treated room. That was and still is the best thing I’ve ever done for my music system. I had extremely high expectations and knew that it was necessary to get the absolute best musical experience I could. It delivered!

After upgrading from a Holo Audio MAY KTE to the GA TRP I was thrilled and figured I would spend my extra cash on other hobbies and interests. Thanks to my buddy watering the seed I ended up with the STR.

I was expecting a change, I was not ready for how transformative it would be! It sounds like a new system. It’s the most involving reach out and touch the music sound I’ve ever heard. Music flows through out the room in a magical way. I was running a Sophia 274b Aqua II and then the EML 274b Mesh. The Sophia is bold and juicy with plenty of density. The EML is more extended and faster, much better attack and space.

The STR with a pair of 845s is more of both! I really don’t get how that is possible.

I’ve had a paradigm shift of my understanding of density, mass, palpability and aliveness of reproduced music.

Details like cymbals being lightly activated when the kick drum is struck. Not since I added all the room treatment have I been so blown away with now much things have changed.

When I had the MAY KTE DAC my vinyl setup was better across the board. Once the TRP had 200+ hours, some things I preferred about the TRP and vinyl still was the king for almost everything. Now with the STR-1002… The TRP is beating the vinyl side in most aspects.

Another thing I really don’t understand. The whole system seems like it has unlimited power now. Isn’t this the realm of the amp and speaker combo? I’m running a 20 watt tube amp into 96db speakers. So plenty of SPL potential. Listening at less than 80 db peaks there is an incredible sense of power—when called upon—to the music.

I have 120 hours on the STR now. I’m still not sure how to express and convey how much of a positive impact this has had on my enjoyment of my system.

I also elected for the choke option. I’ve just recently started listening with the choke active.

Activating the choke is a significant change. Active it gets euphoric, dreamy, enveloping and extra trippy. What is traded is attack, dynamics and precision. Don’t think that those traits are lost when the choke is active. It’s just not as intense compared to no choke.

I’m doing my best to restrain myself and not be too over the top with my joy of adding the STR. The thing is it’s one of the most mind blowing components I’ve ever added to my system so it’s hard not to.

I’ve been having more fun, experiencing more joy and being overwhelming high on life since I’ve added the STR-1002 Super to my system. It could be it’s the last piece in a long journey to the sound I’ve been chasing for half my life.

budburma

May 7, 2023
Well, @GroovySauce , THAT'S amazing looking. Looking at the rest of your sytem, it reminds me of a friend's out in the South Bay area. I imagine it sounds super sweet.

I offer up a more pedestrian follow up that the Mullard CV6 is another knockout - sort of typically Mullard being more reserved than it's KenRad US counterpart, but far from wooly. Very inviting and smoothly detailed. A Sophia 274b v1 give them all the air they need - but nothing like the STR, I'm pretty sure!

These odd little alien two capped triodes are really a treat having all the sonic garden of wonders the 6j5's offer up with more meat on the bone. The soundscape they offer feels very realistic - something the Siemens F2a and Tesla EL51's lacked for me. Those two were/are very exciting to listen to and offer a whole 'nother world. I found their soundscape to be like wandering around in a Maxfield Parrish painting - otherworldly and exciting for sure, but also more of an augmented reality. Could be just me wanting to curl up in my grandfather's sweater with my dog to find a calming refuge, though.

Wjhen

Oct 21, 2019
Well, @GroovySauce , THAT'S amazing looking. Looking at the rest of your sytem, it reminds me of a friend's out in the South Bay area. I imagine it sounds super sweet.

I offer up a more pedestrian follow up that the Mullard CV6 is another knockout - sort of typically Mullard being more reserved than it's KenRad US counterpart, but far from wooly. Very inviting and smoothly detailed. A Sophia 274b v1 give them all the air they need - but nothing like the STR, I'm pretty sure!

These odd little alien two capped triodes are really a treat having all the sonic garden of wonders the 6j5's offer up with more meat on the bone. The soundscape they offer feels very realistic - something the Siemens F2a and Tesla EL51's lacked for me. Those two were/are very exciting to listen to and offer a whole 'nother world. I found their soundscape to be like wandering around in a Maxfield Parrish painting - otherworldly and exciting for sure, but also more of an augmented reality. Could be just me wanting to curl up in my grandfather's sweater with my dog to find a calming refuge, though.
I am very interested in the indirect heated triode tubes. Especially in relation to the F2a tube. I get your comment on the F2a tube. I appreciate the effort you and Designfx put into these IDHT. Is it possible to give an suggestion for the most open/airy and transparent sounding IDHT you have tried. Furthermore, I need a bit of info about the gain of these tubes. Is it similar to F2a? I have no active pre-amp. I need gain....

budburma

May 7, 2023
I am very interested in the indirect heated triode tubes. Especially in relation to the F2a tube. I get your comment on the F2a tube. I appreciate the effort you and Designfx put into these IDHT. Is it possible to give an suggestion for the most open/airy and transparent sounding IDHT you have tried. Furthermore, I need a bit of info about the gain of these tubes. Is it similar to F2a? I have no active pre-amp. I need gain....
The Tungsol VT94D metal base would be the most transparent, open and airy I've tried. Brimar L63 (ST type) is right behind. I've not heard the straight glass GEC, but it has that rep and is available through Langrex. @Designsfx has more experience w/Raytheon - I have a pair of their 6j5g (ST type) on the way that have good cred and happy to report back. ALL of these don't require adapters, which is an added benefit to my mind.

That said, I prefer the 7193/CV6....and they definitely need adapters. And so it goes!

Reactions: Wjhen

budburma

May 7, 2023
@Wjhen - probably preaching to the choir here, but gain/specs for most tubes is/are available on the Valve Museum website.

Reactions: Wjhen

Redwoodaudio

Aug 25, 2021
Anyone know the output impedance of TRP2 w/ F2a output tubes (if the output tubes matter)?

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
Anyone know the output impedance of TRP2 w/ F2a output tubes (if the output tubes matter)?
Not sure but here’s the data sheet if that helps-

Attachments

• Siemens F2a.pdf
    444.9 KB · Views: 5

Redwoodaudio

Aug 25, 2021

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN

How does the Mullard CV6 compare to the National Union 7193? Your description of the Mullard suggests it's similar in sonics to the NU.

Wjhen

Oct 21, 2019
The Tungsol VT94D metal base would be the most transparent, open and airy I've tried. Brimar L63 (ST type) is right behind. I've not heard the straight glass GEC, but it has that rep and is available through Langrex. @Designsfx has more experience w/Raytheon - I have a pair of their 6j5g (ST type) on the way that have good cred and happy to report back. ALL of these don't require adapters, which is an added benefit to my mind.

That said, I prefer the 7193/CV6....and they definitely need adapters. And so it goes!
Tungsol VT94D nowhere to find. L63 tubes are relatively expensive. I will try maybe later. But... I bought GEC CV6 tubes for decent money. Would you be so kind to provide me the link on where to buy the adapter. Thanks.

budburma

May 7, 2023
Well-
My lampi just went up in smoke. Don't know what happened, but I just put in a Tele RGN1064 with adapter for a listen and turned around for a few minutes while things warmed up. Smoke was pouring out of the lampi and the bottom far right middle super hot. Looks like that's right under one of the boards....I really don't know. It's heartbreaking, though. Waiting to hear from Lampizator NA and/or the homeland in Poland. In the meantime, I don't know what to say about adapters and tubes other than once they have resistors in them, it might be a little dicey? Until I know what happened, that's about it. Sigh.

Wjhen

Oct 21, 2019
Well-
My lampi just went up in smoke. Don't know what happened, but I just put in a Tele RGN1064 with adapter for a listen and turned around for a few minutes while things warmed up. Smoke was pouring out of the lampi and the bottom far right middle super hot. Looks like that's right under one of the boards....I really don't know. It's heartbreaking, though. Waiting to hear from Lampizator NA and/or the homeland in Poland. In the meantime, I don't know what to say about adapters and tubes other than once they have resistors in them, it might be a little dicey? Until I know what happened, that's about it. Sigh.
My goodness... All the best of luck to you. Hopefully you are back on track soon.

budburma

May 7, 2023
Well-
For completeness sake, there was also a pair of Kenrad 7193 w/adapters in place. I'd used all the adapters and the Kenrads with a Valvo G1064 without issue.

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
Well-
Oh no! I’m sorry to hear this news. Were you using the same adapter with both the Tele and Valvo?

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
@budburma so sorry to hear this! We've had other Lampi DAC user reports, having fried their DAC as a result of defective adapter, and there is no doubt, the faulty adapter caused the damage.

What adapters are you using?

Reactions: Souldriver

budburma

May 7, 2023
@Blake @Designsfx yes, in speaking with Rob at Lampizator NA he thinks it’s the transformer with the rectifier at fault. I imagine the adapter was the problem as well. It worked fine previously the Valvo, so it’s hard to point my finger directly at that. Not sure how the tube itself would do that without a faulty adapter, though. The pinout seems pretty specific for that type of tube so it’s hard to imagine a mistake identity. The adapter was from Xuling labs and the tube from a seller I’ve not had problems with the past from Germany.

• Sad
Reactions: christoph

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
@Blake @Designsfx yes, in speaking with Rob at Lampizator NA he thinks it’s the transformer with the rectifier at fault. I imagine the adapter was the problem as well. It worked fine previously the Valvo, so it’s hard to point my finger directly at that. Not sure how the tube itself would do that without a faulty adapter, though. The pinout seems pretty specific for that type of tube so it’s hard to imagine a mistake identity. The adapter was from Xuling labs and the tube from a seller I’ve not had problems with the past from Germany.

Thanks for those details. Agreed, xulingmrs adapters are quality. I've bought dozens of adapters from him and never had a single issue.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Well-
So sorry to hear about your bad fortune :(
I hope it is easy to fix.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing