Lamm ML3 + LL1, at last!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Mike should please correct us, but I don't think Mike had this taller model which Peter named.

Please reread my post mike had the kharma " original " exquisite classic with thiel accuton midrange and Focal audiom titanium inverted dome tw.( if im not mistaken)

Probably the breakthrough for kharma as a brand

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
How can the Kharma Exquisite Midi Grand, a 4-Ohm speaker of 91 dB efficiency, be driven by 32 W/ch Lamm ML3s? Or am I missing something here?

(Yes, I am aware of the previous discussion on this (see post #500 and following, but I am skeptical for good reasons, as are others.)

Reactions: Argonaut

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
How can the Kharma Exquisite Midi Grand, a 4-Ohm speaker of 91 dB efficiency, be driven by 32 W/ch Lamm ML3s? Or am I missing something here?

(Yes, I am aware of the previous discussion on this (see post #500 and following, but I am skeptical for good reasons, as are others.)
He probably listens @70-80db

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Kharma Exquisite Midi Grand, a 4-Ohm speaker of 91 dB efficiency, be driven by 32 W/ch Lamm ML3s?
I saw that, too, and I wondered about the same thing.

32 watts has to be borderline to move that much driver surface area. But I have learned from 80 watts on 89dB panels that I am happy to give up headroom for other sonic benefits.

Reactions: christoph

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have not read about a poster on WBF who has the Kharma exquisite classic for example .
You hardly see them for sale , end game products if the qualities appeal to you

(I know Mike had them in a smaller listening room )

this group of audio files is not on WBF. There are many great systems that are not public and not known. Imagine how many Air Force zeros have been sold, and I’ve heard it’s a large number. How many are on WBF?

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
You can’t just go by the numbers.
This is true. I will forever give Brad credit for being the only person who was correct about what it takes to drive the BG RD75.

I certainly was wrong.

• Love
Reactions: morricab

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
This is true. I will forever give Brad credit for being the only person who was correct about what it takes to drive the BG RD75.

I certainly was wrong.

Brad was indeed right about your speakers, but there's a lot of surface area on the Kharmas that has to be driven at a 4 Ohm impedance (your ribbons have a higher impedance). And it's not just 200 Hz and above as with your ribbons and their self-driven bass towers, but lots of surface in the Kharma bass drivers.

I just don't see it with the Kharmas, dynamics at loud volume.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Peter was there. He reports the system sounded "excellent" and "natural." And we know that Peter knows very well what high dynamics sounds like from his own system and from David's systems.

I accept his in-the-room findings.

• Haha

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Peter was there. He reports the system sounded "excellent" and "natural." And we know that Peter knows very well what high dynamics sounds like from his own system and from David's systems.

I accept his in-the-room findings.

I'll believe it when I hear it.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
this group of audio files is not on WBF. There are many great systems that are not public and not known. Imagine how many Air Force zeros have been sold, and I’ve heard it’s a large number. How many are on WBF?
Imagine how many VDH cartridges or 3012R have been sold in the market because owners find them unsatisfactory. So what? People sold for different reasons.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Imagine how many VDH cartridges or 3012R have been sold in the market because owners find them unsatisfactory. So what? People sold for different reasons.
I think Peter means that there are a lot of great systems in the world, that are not on WBF. He is not implying that Zero owners have sold their turntables. :)

Reactions: tima and Al M.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Brad was indeed right about your speakers, but there's a lot of surface area on the Kharmas that has to be driven at a 4 Ohm impedance (your ribbons have a higher impedance). And it's not just 200 Hz and above as with your ribbons and their self-driven bass towers, but lots of surface in the Kharma bass drivers.

you guys can imagine all you want. I was there I heard it in a big room and it was dynamic and loud and super clean. Very natural sounding on all sorts of music.

people are always criticizing others about their imaginations when they haven’t actually heard of system. You’re doing the same here. I heard it you did not.

in fact I don’t even understand why you guys are arguing about something you haven’t heard.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
I think Peter means that there are a lot of great systems in the world, that are not on WBF. He is not implying that Zero owners have sold their turntables. :)
I am sorry i misunderstood. There is certain a member in WBF has AF0.

Reactions: Lagonda

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

I think there is one member of WBF who has an Air Force zero. I do not know how many of those turntables have been built. There are 14 American sound AS 2000. I am the only owner who posts here.

it’s the same thing with great systems. The owners simply don’t want to discuss them publicly at places like WBF. I just heard one of these systems and here are people arguing that the Lamm cannot drive the karma. I heard it for myself. What normal person would want to subject himself to that kind of criticism from strangers who haven’t even heard the system?

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I'll believe it when I hear it.
I have heard something quite similar work just fine, so I don’t doubt that it can work. As with Ron’s speakers, I find members here consistently overestimate how much power they need. 32 watts will drive a 91dB speaker to more than loud enough without clipping in most domestic rooms and listening volumes.

Tge Dynamikks Athos 10 (91dB and 6 ohm) worked fine with down to 15 watts or so.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I have heard something quite similar work just fine, so I don’t doubt that it can work. As with Ron’s speakers, I find members here consistently overestimate how much power they need. 32 watts will drive a 91dB speaker to more than loud enough without clipping in most domestic rooms and listening volumes.

Tge Dynamikks Athos 10 (91dB and 6 ohm) worked fine with down to 15 watts or so.

An audio buddy of mine once bought nominally 96 dB sensitive speakers thinking that his 15 W/ch triode amps (same as I had at the time) could drive them. The amps unceremoniously "died" on the speaker, with a flat and undynamic sound. These speakers had a 10 inch woofer for the bass which seemed to be the problem.

My minimonitors of much less nominal sensitivity (90 dB) at 4 Ohm, but with only a 5 inch midwoofer, could easily be driven very dynamically by the same amps.

It's not just specified sensitivity, but driver surface area as well. The Kharmas have lots of surface area.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Two. TL1 has it, audioblazer has it, and the latter’s friend who is not on WBF also has it

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I am the only owner who posts here.

I think we know 6. You, tang, Christian. Andrew Tan is on FB. One guy in the east who is on the forum but does not post publicly about it much if at all. Mr T so also has Kronos and the big acoustical signature top model.
i know Maril’s friend has one

I thought two were spares to use as a reference to check against for the others that were being produced.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing