Kondo Ongaku......from the past

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I had 4 Ongaku in my life,The first smaller,2 units in Italy,then 2 Ongagu Audio Note and the Kondo Ongaku KSL
I tried together the AudioNote Japan Ongaku,the most famous because made by Kondo and the new KSL.
For my taste the new KSL was better,more transparent and more open on high and little more fast

Reactions: Cantus and shakti

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I had 4 Ongaku in my life,The first smaller,2 units in Italy,then 2 Ongagu Audio Note and the Kondo Ongaku KSL
I tried together the AudioNote Japan Ongaku,the most famous because made by Kondo and the new KSL.
For my taste the new KSL was better,more transparent and more open on high and little more fast

For me there is more than the sound in this case. I enjoy pieces that were from the Kondo san era. I like that this Ongaku and Kyoeun have all of their original tubes, were one owner since the early 90's. Special for me, I don't even play either of the amps all that much, I just like having them in the room.

The fact that Herb and Mike drove these amps out to Arizona in the 90's and installed them and now they have arrived back in NYC, arranged by their gracious owner of the past 25 years, it's more about "the story" of these specific amps.

Reactions: Cantus

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Exactly:)

Reactions: Cantus

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I remember hearing a Japanese Audio Note Ongaku at the Stereophile show in 1991 (?) (early 90s-ish) in San Francisco, before Peter Qvortrup had his notorious break up with the Japanese branch to start British Audio Note.

It was being demo'd with Audio Note Speakers, and I was incredibly underwhelmed by the sound. I couldn't believe it, so I went back several times, and it was the same, just not that that. Peter was very aggressive with his pointed British accent in asserting the excellence of things, but I just shrugged.

It is a gorgeous object, and I don't doubt that in a non-show setup it would change my mind on the sound, but at that time and place, nichts.

So much for evaluating things at audio shows in hotel rooms.

Nick Gowan had one at his repair shop in Campbell (at least I think it was Ongaku, just gorgeous), although It might have been the British Audio Note version that he played while working. At that time, he had it at the front desk in the place (a small house). It was hard to evaluate because he kind of had them set up as a garage system for his workplace, heh, heh!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing