King/Cello Tape Stage Coupling Caps

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Hi Sam:

Both cards are interchangeable. However, you should pick one type as reference Line Output cards and match the other type by adjusting the pot on the front of the card. You could play a tape with a 1 khz test tone (or a signal generator) and mark where your VU meter needles are (should be at 0VU if A820 is calibrated to +4dB normal operating level) with your reference line output cards. Then power off first before replacing the cards with another type, turn the pots while playing same test tone to get your VU meters to be the same. That's all.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Hi Sam:

Both cards are interchangeable. However, you should pick one type as reference Line Output cards and match the other type by adjusting the pot on the front of the card. You could play a tape with a 1 khz test tone (or a signal generator) and mark where your VU meter needles are (should be at 0VU if A820 is calibrated to +4dB normal operating level) with your reference line output cards. Then power off first before replacing the cards with another type, turn the pots while playing same test tone to get your VU meters to be the same. That's all.

Good evening, Ki,

Thanks for the instructive post :D I'm getting to know the deck little by little :cool:
I believe my A820 has +6 alignment.

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
Thanks guys - especially John and Mike

John for doing some "indepedent" measurements and Mike for the "sonic impressions" - please let us know what you hear as the caps break (brake?) in.

Just finished my weekend job which was to put the Mundorf's in two preamps one of my customers sent back for updating. Realized when looking inside that these were older ones without the output cap bypass; so did that too. Keith, you should be in for a treat - please let us know what you think. And I'll do the same on your third preamp.

John, thanks for the tip to also remove the the other paralleled caps when putting in the Mundorf. Of course a paralleled "inferior" cap could certainly "smear" the sound.

Cheers

Charles

Gary D

Jun 26, 2011
There has been much discussion on the internet about Mundorf and break in of capacitors.
I found this email between Mr. Filke of Mundorf & a customer.
These hour figures generally mean the caps smooth out and gain air and reach there near optimum
level.It has been my experience these levels are correct and they continue to improve afterwards subtly.

Below Mr. Mirko doesn't mention the Silver/Gold/Oil as they were added to the product line at a later date.
I would say it would be the same as the Silver/Oil @ 240 Hours.

"Here is an email from Mr. Mirko Filke - Export Manager of MUNDORF EB GMBH regarding the burn-in of Mundorf Caps. I hope this will clear-up everything with regards to burn-in period of Mundorf Caps"

Burn-in is recommended as follows:

MCap - 192hrs
SUPREME – 168hrs
silver/oil – 240hrs
silver/gold – 168hrs

Or (for professionals only) 2-3 days at 230VAC / 4-5 days 110VAC.

[ VAC-burn-in may course an electric shock/electrocution!

So it has to be done carefully by an electrician only! ]

Best regards,
Mirko

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
i've been running a signal thru the Mundorf Supreme's for about 100 hours so far. last night i played a couple tapes thru the Studer King Cello w/Mundorf -> dart pre and compared it to my ATR-102 'naked' into the dart pre. the KC-Mundorf sounded veiled and muted. the Ampex open and vivid....which was how the KC-Studer sounded prior to the Mundorf's.

i'm removing the Muindorf's (or rather i'm having Ki remove them). in my particular system, to my particular ears, they are not the ticket. another 100 hours cannot/will not change thngs that much.

anyone need a couple of Mundorf Supremes 1.0 mdf Silver/Gold/Oil? very lightly used.....

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
i've been running a signal thru the Mundorf Supreme's for about 100 hours so far. last night i played a couple tapes thru the Studer King Cello w/Mundorf -> dart pre and compared it to my ATR-102 'naked' into the dart pre. the KC-Mundorf sounded veiled and muted. the Ampex open and vivid....which was how the KC-Studer sounded prior to the Mundorf's.

i'm removing the Muindorf's (or rather i'm having Ki remove them). in my particular system, to my particular ears, they are not the ticket. another 100 hours cannot/will not change thngs that much.

anyone need a couple of Mundorf Supremes 1.0 mdf Silver/Gold/Oil? very lightly used.....

I really wondered how a 1uf cap used as a bypass would make any difference on a 470uf e-cap. If I could find them I would replace the 470uf capacitor with a Black Gate 470uf 100V N/NX series cap and watch your jaw drop.

These are not the N/NX series but they are better than anything else made now or since. The std blackgate are rated at about 75/100,most caps are 30-40/100,the N/NX are 100/100 and the FK series are rated at -160db down. The N/NX put in e series are 120/100

http://cgi.ebay.com/2pc-100v-470uF-...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3ca74f4ff5

Last edited:

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada

So still no cap is the best cap, if still need something in there , try a silver in-put transformer 1 to 1 ratio with Nickel core, Kondo of Audio Note said better put more silver as you can to your system but the silver's price jumped too high now that makes those silver audio products out of business
tony ma

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
So still no cap is the best cap, if still need something in there , try a silver in-put transformer 1 to 1 ratio with Nickel core, Kondo of Audio Note said better put more silver as you can to your system but the silver's price jumped too high now that makes those silver audio products out of business
tony ma

But I think in this instance the bypassing would actually degrade the sound. I agree no cap is best but if the application calls for a capacitor and it is in the signal path,at 470uf the only "real" choice is a Blackgate N series for sonic gains.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
But I think in this instance the bypassing would actually degrade the sound. I agree no cap is best but if the application calls for a capacitor and it is in the signal path,at 470uf the only "real" choice is a Blackgate N series for sonic gains.

I used a lot of Black Gate cap but most in power supply till it out of market (KWZ type) in amp only in cathode by pass ( N series) in sound path I prefer transformer, that why I like tube amp better because it don't need in-put block, in the K/C case you still can use a in-put transformer to replace that 470 uf cap but the only thing you have to do is match the impedance of the repro head, when it matched you will get the most advantages , how to match, find out the repro head's impedance and custom order make a 1 to 1 ratio with same impedance transformer, maybe this modification is not a simple one but will have big difference in return
tony ma

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Fwiw,there was a question about burn-in on Mundorf caps. my Ampex 350's have mostly Mundorf M series e-caps,M supremes,and Silver & oils in them. After about 340 hours logged they are finally opening up. This is not unusual for boutique capacitors and can be frustrating as at first you think that after so much time it can't possibly change that much. But again I am talking about 28 caps here and not just one or a few.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Fwiw,there was a question about burn-in on Mundorf caps. my Ampex 350's have mostly Mundorf M series e-caps,M supremes,and Silver & oils in them. After about 340 hours logged they are finally opening up. This is not unusual for boutique capacitors and can be frustrating as at first you think that after so much time it can't possibly change that much. But again I am talking about 28 caps here and not just one or a few.

Dan Schmalle told me that the first time he heard the Teflon V-caps that he thought they were defective for the first 100 hours :)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
the Mundorf's are now removed and the original caps are back in place. and all is well sonically. thanks Ki, for you help.

it's actually better than before since i got an Adona rack to replace the $20 plant stand i had the King Cello on......and the solid grounded Adona, combined with the Wave Kinetics A10 U8 isolation footers underneath, and the Walker lead filled pucks on top, is taking things a bit further in terms of focus and clarity. i was using the A10 U8's and pucks before, but the plant stand was not solid so the effects were marginal.

i like the way it looks too.

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Very,very nice!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing