" Kind Of Blue" what is the Best...

Gary D

Jun 26, 2011
Recording of this classic? I see many mediums sacd,redbook cd,45rpm vinyl and 180 & 200 gram vinyl.
There is also 2 track tape and 4 track tape which is the best for sound and closest to the actual recording master.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
You'd have to ask someone who's heard the original master what's closest, but I've had the original vinyl, the basic redbook CD and the 40th (?) Anniversary remaster. Not a bad one in the batch. The recording itself has a couple of flaws, but overall is very good and the mastering has never been boogered, to my knowledge. This is one where I wouldn't sweat much over getting the definitive version. Absolutely love your avatar, by the way.

Tim

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Gary, that's a great question. I own the original Six eye mono, the Six eye stereo, the red book CD ( two versions, the Columbia Jazz masterpiece version and the Columbia Legacy version re-mastered by Michael Cuscuna) , the SACD and the re-issue on 180 gram vinyl. IMHO, the order of preference from best to worst is: The Six eye mono, The re-issue on 180 gram vinyl, the Six eye Stereo, The Legacy redbook, the SACD, and last the masterpiece redbook. I have not heard the 200 gram version nor the R to R's.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
The tape machine used for the original master was running slow, so if you played it back on a correctly functioning machine, it would sound too fast. The pitch would be slightly off. Most of the issues are like that.

Classic Records has a reissue with a bonus disc that has the corrected speed. It also has a 45rpm of Flamenco Sketches. IMHO that is the one to get. I believe there is also a SACD with the corrected speed.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I agree that for vinyl, an original pressing mono 6-eye is the way to go.

IME, the Columbia mono 6 eye jazz recording of the late 1950's to early 1960's are amongst the technically best soudning jazz recordings ever.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I agree that for vinyl, an original pressing mono 6-eye is the way to go.

IME, the Columbia mono 6 eye jazz recording of the late 1950's to early 1960's are amongst the technically best soudning jazz recordings ever.

Jazdoc,
What are the aspects that make consider that a mono recording is better than a stereo version?

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Jazdoc,
What are the aspects that make consider that a mono recording is better than a stereo version?

Let me preface my answer by stating that I really like well recorded mono and react strongly to unnatural stereo effects, i.e. drummer with 18' wingspan drumming in both speakers. Additionally, many records in the day were recorded in mono with stereo version as an afterthought. Stereo was the new technology and the mono recording techniques had been pefected over 20+ years. This not only includes jazz but pop/rock well. The Beatle's engineer, Geoffry Emrick does a great job describing this in his book "Here, There, Everywhere". Basically, the artists and people in the studio optimized recordings for mono. In that spirit, I had a custom input designed into my phono stage specifically optimized for mono.

With THAT out of the way...I hear richer tone and deeper and more articulate bass. Cymbals snap and the unique sound of sticks hitting the drumhead are more realistic. The breathiness of Miles' playing seems much more realistic. Despite the lack of left/right information, I hear better front-to-back depth with this mono recording.

As is often the case, listening to mono with a good mono cartridge (I use the Miyajima Premium BE) decreases playback noise. Many older mono records have been played and damaged by stereo cartridges. A dedicated mono cartridge has no vertical degree of freedom within the groove (where the right and left encoding is embedded) and any groove damage in the vertical plane is not transmitted down the audio chain. I've picked up some amazing collectible VG and VG+ vinyl on the cheap that sounds M- with my mono set-up. I've listened to many mono LPs with stereo cartridges on an identical Talea tonearm and the majority of the time I prefer the dedicated mono system. To date, I only own one mono record that I prefer to hear with a stereo cartridge.

I have many Columbia recordings from this period in both stereo and mono and strongly prefer the mono. Some of these titles include:

"What Is There To Say" Gerry Mulligan
"Mingus, Ah Um" Charles Mingus
"Round About Midnight" and "Milestones" Miles Davis

I also strongly prefer Contemporary and Impulse monos but have had mixed results with Prestige, Atlantic and Argo. I only own a couple of original Blue Note monos and they are nothing special sonically. OTOH, the MusicMatters monos are simply spectacular. The Gil Melle, Hank Mobleys, Kenny Dorham and Louis Smith mono reissues are standouts.

BTW, I have a couple of the Parlophone Beatles LPs and to my ears, this is by far the best (and the intended) way to hear the Beatles.

Now all this may change once I put the Benz LPS on the new Telos arm while the Miyajima stays on a Talea II :)

Last edited:

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I would love for one of our resident cartridge experts to offer a scientific-based explanation of why the equivalent mono and stereo LPs produce better sound quality from the mono version, and what is happening in the groove/stylus interface that makes it so. The electrical construction of the cartridge may also play a part....

Lee

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I don't want to hijack my brother's thread but I found this and I don't know if this interview is well known. It concerns the most famous speed issue on the side one of Kind of Blue. I found Teo Macero's interview fascinating.

"And then we had a lot of special equipment that I had CBS invent for me. I would say, “Look it, I have a crazy idea in my head. I want to be able to change the pitch, change the speed.” They said, “Teo, we can’t do that. We hear they’re working on that in Europe.” And I said, “But I want to move that beat, just off, so that if we slow it down just a little bit it will put it into the right, as the guys now say, pocket. That was a lot of favorite expressions of these guys, put it in the pocket. So, what I would do, I would put some tape around the cap stand and slow it down just enough to give it a better groove. Or, if I didn’t like what he was doing, on a couple of records, I’d take the trumpet out completely. I’d go in the vault and I’d find little pieces here and there and I’d cut it, splice it, and make a little loop and I would lay it right back into the track. Now, I did this so frequently with Miles that it was like second nature for me because I didn’t have to worry about anything because I knew that there was one record that we did with, Kind of Blue. You’re all familiar with that. Well, that record came out and was a huge success. Much later, maybe about ten years later somebody said, one of the trumpet players who happened to come to the studio said, “I can’t play with this thing because it’s just off pitch.” “Aw,” I said, “Really?” Laughs.

They made such a big issue out of it, I said, “Look it, what they hell do I care? I couldn’t care less!” I said, “If Gil Evans, who is the daddy of them all. And Miles, who made it, and a few of the musicians and myself, we like it. Then it must be right.” He said, “But you know, the tape is regular speed.” I said, “Look it, I have no control about that.” They said, “Well we’re going to change it.” And they changed it. "

http://www.artistshousemusic.org/vid...ing+and+mixing

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Thanks, Roger. That is fascinating. I didn't know that they messed with the speed to give it a better groove. I guess it would make sense that pace would be more important to pitch.

Your link didn't get to the right place, but I found it:
http://www.artistshousemusic.org/videos/teo+macero+on+the+arts+of+editing+and+mixing

Thanks Gary,

I had read a long time ago that Miles liked or wanted the pitch that way. All the talk how the tape recorder was off speed on the original masters and that it was fixed on the re issues,well if I follow Teo Macero correctly the slow speed was intentional. I also thought Macero's comment on how Miles trumpet "came at you" was a revelation. That has always been one of the best parts of Kind of Blue for me,just amazing what Mr Macero talks about.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Let me preface my answer by stating that I really like well recorded mono and react strongly to unnatural stereo effects ,i.e. drummer with 18' wingspan drumming in both speakers. (...)
Now all this may change once I put the Benz LPS on the new Telos arm while the Miyajima stays on a Talea II :)

Thanks Jazdoc. Now I see why people have two turntables or turntables with two arms ...

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have a 15 ips 2 track tape of KOB and I can't imagine there is much out there that is better. The distortion flaws caused by overloading the mikes in a a couple of spots is a bummer though. And they are on every version of KOB I have ever heard.

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
I was fortunate enough to lay my hands on a 45rpm -pressed single side -4 LP sealed copy. Played it once and recorded it straight in 2xDSD for repeated playback on my Korg. Probably the most musical bass notes I have ever heard from any version. And instrument sizing is perfect.
Though 'mep' your version must be terrific too, and you are right -overloading of the mikes do show up.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Recording of this classic? I see many mediums sacd,redbook cd,45rpm vinyl and 180 & 200 gram vinyl.
There is also 2 track tape and 4 track tape which is the best for sound and closest to the actual recording master.

I believe the latest Hybrid SACD is a good one.

* Who's that in your avatar Gary? ...Got a larger picture so we can make up a better image of that cute face?

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I was fortunate enough to lay my hands on a 45rpm -pressed single side -4 LP sealed copy. Played it once and recorded it straight in 2xDSD for repeated playback on my Korg. Probably the most musical bass notes I have ever heard from any version. And instrument sizing is perfect.
Though 'mep' your version must be terrific too, and you are right -overloading of the mikes do show up.

Can I ask you what is the size of those 2xDSD files?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I just picked up the K2 version of KOB. i compared to the Columbia Anniversary, and preferred K2 by quite a margin, maybe 30% or more. I'm keeping it.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I put on the KOB 15 ips 2 track NAB tape last night and I'm still blown away at how great this recording is, overload warts and all.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing