Keith Jarrett’s Dark Night In Perugia

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I don't think it's very unusual for an exceptional artist (and plenty that aren't so exceptional) to have anything from annoying personality quirks to obvious sociopathic and/or OCD behaviors. That's not meant in any way to excuse such behavior, just an observation.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I don't think it's very unusual for an exceptional artist (and plenty that aren't so exceptional) to have anything from annoying personality quirks to obvious sociopathic and/or OCD behaviors. That's not meant in any way to excuse such behavior, just an observation.

Name a few musicians that show blatant contempt for their audience like mr. Jarrett. I can't think of any.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Bob Dylan comes to mind immediately, although of course he has mellowed with age. Thelonious Monk as well. Then there are musicians like Mingus who often treated his bandmates as less than dirt. When you go to other art forms (acting, painting, etc) it may be even more common.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Wouaaaaah! ...There is nothing, no comment that would make this article different!

* Leonardo da Vinci was a great genius (brilliant artist), and a great person with real humanity.

** Keith Jarrett should only do studio recordings, and never go out in public places!
...And I won't say anything, no words from my accurate vocabulary to describe his comportment!

He can be one of the most recognized pianists living today in Jazz, and all the jazz that follows, but it means nothing if you cannot ....

I knew that he likes to sing when he plays, a la Glenn Gould, but I didn't know that he was such a ***** *****! ...Froot Loops!

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
i saw eric clapton on his last tour that came through socal. he had a 'guest' guitarist on stage through the entire set who must've played 70% of the show himself. clapton might as well have given us the finger as he showed no enthusiam and looked like he'd much rather be somehwere else. the show ended way too short with no encore and barely a goodbye (i cant recall if he even said that).

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
When I posted this thread, I was interested in seeing how people would react to KJ's behavior at this concert.

KJ's behavior doesn't bother me.

I don't understand why it's so hard for people to turnoff their cell phones when they go to a concert.

Many years ago before cell phones, I saw KJ at the Village Vanguard, it was during the winter and a number people got into a coughing thing. He stopped playing and led the crowd in a group cough. Everyone coughed and laughed and he went on to blow us away with a wonderful performance with two encores.

I remember the hair on the back of my arms (in HI they call it chicken skin) standing up by his talent.

Anyone that's a jazz fan and doesn't own any KJ recordings is missing some great music.

His latest ECM release, Somewhere, is one of the best recordings I've purchased this year.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
When I was in residency in New Orleans, I recorded "Eyes of the Heart" from WTUL radio. When I got back into vinyl, it was one of the first on my list to find, and find it I did, very evocative for me from the time I used to listen to it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Keith wants no cameras (flashes), he wants total silence (visually & auditory). ...That's his audience trance to communicate his message: Jazz.
But he's just too much; too 'relaxed' for my own taste (live in public with jazz listeners).

Trauma, turmoil, stress, from cameras, flashes, audience noises, .... Music (Jazz) is pure, and needs no disturbance at all. ...Even from the heroin going through your veins.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing