Just Saw the Queen of Rock and Roll

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Saw Little Richard last night at BB King's in Manhattan. I've been to that club a number of times, i have never, ever seen it that crowded. His band- about which there is nothing on the web as far as I could tell (I hope somebody proves me wrong), was absolutely one of the best in the business. These guys, to quote one of the folks I went with (who himself is a pretty famous player) were "hired killers." Two drummers, one who did gymnastics while playing, without missing a beat, a bass player who played multiple bass lines against himself, a pro-horn section that was never too loud and guitar players that nailed it- the right lick at the right time. Hammond B-3 behind the star, who got wheeled out on a golden throne. (He apparently broke his hip a couple years ago, and is not very ambulatory). The guy looked no different than he did 50 years ago, which is, admittedly, a little frightening. :) His voice wasn't always the best, but his piano work rocked. And with that band, Oh Lawdy!
Little Richard was hilarious. I had forgotten how much fun he is. As a celebrity who always made fun of his homosexuality in veiled references, he is refreshingly funny about his life. He did spend time holding court, talked about bringing Hendrix into the band, hanging with the Rolling Stones and the Beatles, etc. The guy not only has the miles, but the stories to go with a long, amazing career. At one point, when fans were converging beneath his throne on stage to give him roses, or get him to sign autographs, he remarked (i think this was about the roses): "Oh Lawdy, you-all gonna make me scream like a white lady."
Killer show. Catch him while he is still with us. You'll have fun.

Bulldogger

Apr 20, 2010
Clinton,MS
I was watching a very good program where other artist rated who they considered to be the top 100 of all time. Some of the old clips of Little Richard were good. The clips made me think that maybe I need to purchase the SACD of Little Richard.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I was really too young to 'get' Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis and some of the iconic early rock and roll players until the last few years. Now I am in awe of those guys. Recommended reading if you haven't: "Hellfire" by Nick Tosches, about Jerry Lee Lewis, written in a 'hellfire and brimstone' style that captures his tortured soul. Elvis, I never saw, but visited Graceland recently- highly recommended, especially if you dig bad early 70's furnishings. But seriously, the guy was unbelievable as a singer and entertainer. If you go to Memphis, you must take the Sun Studios tour and seek out some of the best BBQ I've ever eaten.
Imagine what these guys did at the time- how rocking out was a swing band, or maybe a 'race' record, if you could receive a black-oriented radio station. Bet some of this stuff is killer on a good mono system.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I was really too young to 'get' Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis and some of the iconic early rock and roll players until the last few years. Now I am in awe of those guys. Recommended reading if you haven't: "Hellfire" by Nick Tosches, about Jerry Lee Lewis, written in a 'hellfire and brimstone' style that captures his tortured soul. Elvis, I never saw, but visited Graceland recently- highly recommended, especially if you dig bad early 70's furnishings. But seriously, the guy was unbelievable as a singer and entertainer. If you go to Memphis, you must take the Sun Studios tour and seek out some of the best BBQ I've ever eaten.
Imagine what these guys did at the time- how rocking out was a swing band, or maybe a 'race' record, if you could receive a black-oriented radio station. Bet some of this stuff is killer on a good mono system.

You just have to love someone that marries their 14 year old cousin don't you? Kind of gives "Great Balls of Fire" a new meaning.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
You just have to love someone that marries their 14 year old cousin don't you? Kind of gives "Great Balls of Fire" a new meaning.

Especially then, in some ways, I think 14 year olds are a little more 'advanced' for their age today than they were then. The cousin part- I thought that was legal. :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
He refers to himself as the King of Rock of Roll. Now that Elvis is dead we don't need to have a debate. Let us not forget the God of Rock and Roll-Chuck Berry.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
In the Nick Tosches book i mentioned about Jerry Lee Lewis, he describes a confrontation between Jerry Lee and Chuck Berry over who would appear last on the bill- Chuck apparently insisted that he go last as the most important act. Jerry finished his set by lighting his piano on fire and playing it as it burned down, walked off the stage and told Berry, using a racially charged epithet I won't repeat here, "top that, man."

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I thought Elton John was the Queen of Rock & Roll :D

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
In the Nick Tosches book i mentioned about Jerry Lee Lewis, he describes a confrontation between Jerry Lee and Chuck Berry over who would appear last on the bill- Chuck apparently insisted that he go last as the most important act. Jerry finished his set by lighting his piano on fire and playing it as it burned down, walked off the stage and told Berry, using a racially charged epithet I won't repeat here, "top that, man."

No doubt Jerry Lee Lewis would have to resort to gimmicks to best Chuck Berry.(Smile) One can only imagine what Chuck Berrry could have accomplished had Black people not been kicked out of the music they creatred. Ir Jimi Hendrix was forced to jam in night clubs because of that exile. ironically Jimi Hendrix was known to set his guitar on fire. Fortunaley that freedom contributed to his greatness. It was only due to the the "British Invasion" that Jimi Hendrix began to get the recognition he deserved. Mr. Lewis is still great.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I really respect what Elton John did, particularly the early stuff- I still listen to Tumbleweed Connection, which has some great tunes. I get the popularity of his 'pop' stuff, but it just isn't to my taste. His band is usually killer and he was and probably still is a great rock and roll pianist. As far as being a 'queen' is concerned, i think he got a little too arch in that whole pr spat with Madonna, but i guess that comes with the territory.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
No doubt Jerry Lee Lewis would have to resort to gimmicks to best Chuck Berry.(Smile) One can only imagine what Chuck Berrry could have accomplished had Black people not been kicked out of the music they creatred. Ir Jimi Hendrix was forced to jam in night clubs because of that exile. ironically Jimi Hendrix was known to set his guitar on fire. Fortunaley that freedom contributed to his greatness. It was only due to the the "British Invasion" that Jimi Hendrix began to get the recognition he deserved. Mr. Lewis is still great.
Prison didn't do Berry any favors either, and as i remember, it was a Mann Act charge? Because he was with white girls?
Jimi did manage to break through, partly because of a different culture, but you are right, he started working on the same segregated circuit that most black entertainers were confined to. I was amazed to learn that T-Bone Walker (who we, or at least I originally thought of as a blues guy of the old school) was the centerpiece of a huge stage act in his heyday- dance, including some of the stuff we now think of as Michael Jackson style walk and splits, big band behind him, etc. You are right, though, without the British Invasion turning black music into pop, alot of this stuff would have gotten lost.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It's well known Jerry Lee Lewis married the 13 year old daughter of his cousin. Not uncommon in rural America. But it cuased him a a ton of grief.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I really respect what Elton John did, particularly the early stuff- I still listen to Tumbleweed Connection, which has some great tunes. I get the popularity of his 'pop' stuff, but it just isn't to my taste. His band is usually killer and he was and probably still is a great rock and roll pianist. As far as being a 'queen' is concerned, i think he got a little too arch in that whole pr spat with Madonna, but i guess that comes with the territory.

I've seen him a few times live and he's an utterly amazing performer and showman. You might enjoy the documentary about Sir Elton "Tantrums and Tiaras"

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing