Just learned the term "Shelf Queen"

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
That's what you call someone who has a piece of equipment just because it looks cool, rather than how it sounds.

This has changed my life... because I've done that.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
never just on appearance, but the Linn CD-12 back in the day was a stunner to look at. and the Mark Levinson No.32 preamp, and No.33 Mono Blocks were both works of hifi art. the Kharma Exquisite 1D speakers were also very 'arty' i think. still my wife's favorite speaker 'in room' to look at.

i'd say only the ML No. 32 preamp was the only real 'shelf queen' that sounded pretty veiled and opaque. those others performed at high levels.

of my current gear, i'd say that my CS Port LFT1 turntable seems to be universally admired for it's 'zen' beauty, possibly the Esoteric Grandioso T1 tt might be like that, i view my Wadax in that light but it's a controversial as people seem to either love it or hate it (and the price get's people's panties in a bunch too). my dart 468 mono blocks are certainly a strong looking design, i view it as beautiful, it's gold/red 'ironman' look an acquired taste maybe. none of these current loves are not performing.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
That's what you call someone who has a piece of equipment just because it looks cool, rather than how it sounds.

I almost kept my Micro Seiki SX8000II because it was so cool looking. Just to have it on the top shelf of my rack. It sounded great too, but I figured I would always prefer to listen to my new table. Some of these Beyond Components just increase in value also.

IMG_2355.JPG

Last edited:

unboxed

Apr 24, 2017
I do not use headphones but I want one of these:

1679326110128.png

Reactions: rubinken

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
Well, given how many products are stunners looks-wise, if money was no object, I'd be buying them for the shelf factor too... :) What have you bought based on appearance?

For me it's space limitations just as much as money but I've tried to keep the ogling to the lower end: I've had a Music Reference RM-10 MK1 sitting on our fireplace stoop for months. I kept my LP12 for WAY longer than I should have. I have a B&O turntable in the garage just waiting for us to move to a bigger space for a extra system somewhere. I have an amp and preamp by Sparkler that is just for looks. There will be so much more after we move. I have a friend who has a museum in his house of cool audio stuff. I'd like one of those.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
It is crazy how audio kinda falls into one of two aesthetic camps -- box with a button and artistic flair. And it doesn't seem to matter how good sounding a product is as to which side it is on. Companies like CH Precision and Lamm sound great but fall in the box with a button camp. My former speakers -- vivid spirits -- definitely fell in the artsy design category. Not sure I have had any real artsy electronics with maybe the exception of the Lampizator pacific all polished brass look.

Maybe I will take note at axpona how many artsy looking components there are.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I bought my Ref 160 Stereo Amplifier for sound but the ghost meters always get a favorable response from friends.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
There is a "shelf queen," "garage queen," "safe queen" and I am sure others.

Peter, is there a "mooring queen" or a "dock queen"?

• Haha
Reactions: PeterA

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hmm, forget shelf queens, we're more drama queens.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
There is a "shelf queen," "garage queen," "safe queen" and I am sure others.

Peter, is there a "mooring queen" or a "dock queen"?

Joking around with my neighbor who just informed me that this is all derived from the term "size queen". I won't go into what that means.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

I built the Garrard 401 as a Covid project to keep my busy. When I finally set it up I was surprised, and honestly a little dissapointed that is surpassed my flagship Acoustic Signature Ascona in everyway. The Ascona, with integrated stand, is one of the coolest looking tables ever made. But it was bested and it was sold.

Reactions: PeterA and Ed.P

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
I built the Garrard 401 as a Covid project to keep my busy. When I finally set it up I was surprised, and honestly a little dissapointed that is surpassed my flagship Acoustic Signature Ascona in everyway. The Ascona, with integrated stand, is one of the coolest looking tables ever made. But it was bested and it was sold.

but I'm sure your 401 looks awesome too!

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Wow. Beautiful. Total shelf queen.

What two cartridges are you using?
I have a bunch of cartridge's:

MM: Signet TK-7ea, TK-7su (my favorite), Grace Ruby, Victor X1
MC: Ortofon SPU A95, VDH Crimson Stradivarius, Fidelity Research 1, Denon 103R

Reactions: Fishfood

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing