JLP Catalog (19 CD’s) Only $99.95

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Thanks! I have the Benny Green "Source" CD and it is a great performance with spectacular sonics...

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
So I recieved my box of 19 CDs sent 2 day mail. First out of the box: Monty Alexanders "Uplift" is spectacular. Great tunes, tremendous musicianship and extremely well recorded. Highly recommended.

uplift.jpg

Monty Alexander: Uplift (2011)
By DR. JUDITH SCHLESINGER, Published: March 16, 2011
Virtually everyone who plays with pianist Monty Alexander loves the challenge of keeping up with his mischievous music-making and sudden changes in direction. Then there are those quotes—splashes of everything from bugle calls and nursery rhymes to Duke Ellington and "Meet the Flintstones"—that challenge the listeners' repertoire, as well as adding delight and surprise to each track. Who else, for instance, would begin "Sweet Georgia Brown" with a tongue-in-cheek reference to the opera "Carmen"—and make it work?

Uplift is a collection of 10 tunes, three of them Alexander's own, that producer John Lee calls "a masterpiece." That's a tough call to make, given Alexander's 62 fine recordings as leader over his five-decade career; in fact, Montreux Alexander (MPS, 1976) is such a desert island disc for many jazz lovers that it was reissued in a 30th anniversary edition. Certainly there are few living pianists who can match his imaginative and joyous approach, and his harmonic risk-taking; unlike many players who shift things around just for the sake of making a change, Alexander's innovations are always respectful of the melody. Not many are able to bring such new life to well-worn standards; in his blues-infused, infectious swing, he recalls the late master Gene Harris.

Here, Alexander is backed by his superb long-term bassist, Hassan (JJ Wiggins) Shakur Hassan (JJ Wiggins) Shakur bass, acoustic, and drummer Herlin Riley, who has recorded numerous CDs with Wynton Marsalis, among others. From the bright, finger-popping opening "Come Fly with Me" (Alexander's salute to Frank Sinatra, an early fan and sponsor), they provide supple support for every detour, helping the whole trio rock like mad. Riley's killer solo on "Sweet Georgia Brown" is one of the things that make it the standout track—it's nothing less than a jazz juggernaut. Or, maybe, the highlight is "Body and Soul," which Alexander hitches to a bright waltz tempo and takes to a whole new territory. Others will pick the driving "One Mint Julep," the soulful "Django," or the lush Jamaican landscape of the last three tracks.

In any case, this is an exceptional collection, which also crackles with that special, open energy only a live performance can deliver. Uplift is an apt title, since that's precisely what this music does.

Track Listing: Come Fly With Me; One Mint Julep: Renewal; Sweet Georgia Brown; I Just Can't See For Lookin'; Django; Body and Soul; Hope; Home; Fungi Mama.

Personnel: Monty Alexander: piano; Hassan Shakur: bass; Herlin Riley: drums; Fritz Landesbergen: drums (1, 6).

Can't wait to dive into the rest...

fmoten

Dec 2, 2013
@jap - Very cool to see people coming from your link and thanks for the support of this music. Being able to bring something of great pride at a fair price is an honor - thanks to all here!

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
@jap - Very cool to see people coming from your link and thanks for the support of this music. Being able to bring something of great pride at a fair price is an honor - thanks to all here!
Glad to help.

Got my set yesterday, and I suggest anyone remotely interested in Jazz, buy these great recordings.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Up next, Brazilian pianist and Berklee alum, Helio Alves "Musica". A CD of lovely covers (my favorite is Wayne Shorter's "Black Nile"), this is a great session of Brazilian jazz piano....

helio_300.jpg

Musica is a truly pan-American affair that features prominent musicians from throughout the hemisphere. Bassist Reuben Rogers, whose extensive credits include work with Joshua Redman and Diane Reeves, was raised in the Virgin Islands. Mexico City-born drummer Antonio Sanchez has played with Dizzy Gillespie's United Nations Orchestra, Danilo Perez, and, for the past eight years, with Pat Metheny. Trumpeter Claudio Roditi and guitarist Romero Lubambo, both originally from Rio de Janeiro, join the trio for two tracks a piece.

While growing up in Sao Paulo, Brazil, studying classical piano, Helio Alves did not pay much attention to the samba and other indigenous rhythms that surrounded him. Yet today, as one of the most in-demand and consistently creative pianists on the international jazz scene, he incorporates samba, baião, and other Brazilian patterns into his technically stunning, rhythmically and harmonically challenging, and frequently rhapsodic approach to jazz. Such characteristics are especially evident throughout Musica, his fourth CD as a leader and first for bassist-turned-producer John Lee's Jazz Legacy Productions label (November 9).

"I never studied Brazilian music per se, but it was always present," the New York-based pianist says. "It was everywhere. I always got to hear the Brazilian rhythms, and somehow they got into my music, I guess through osmosis."

The disc's nine-song set includes Alves' adventurous interpretations of compositions by Dom Salvador ("Gafieira"), Moacir Santos ("Kathy"), Hermeto Pascoal ("Musica Das Nuvens E Do Chao"), Herbie Hancock ("Chan's Song"), Wayne Shorter ("Black Nile"), Dori Caymmi ("Flor Das Estradas)," and longtime associate Roditi ("Adeus Alf"). "Gafieira" is a fast samba named for a style that was popular in Rio dance halls during the beginning of the 20th century. "Kathy" is played in 5/4 time, and much of "Musica Das Nuvens E Do Chão" finds Alves improvising at a fast 7/4 clip. "Chan's Song," from the Round Midnight soundtrack, is treated to a gentle bossa-nova groove, and "Black Nile" utilizes elements of the baião rhythms of Northeastern Brazil. The remaining two selections were written by Alves: "Tribute to Charlie 2," a gently loping ballad in 6/8 dedicated to the late Charlie Banacos (as is the entire CD), and the multi-directional "Sombra."

"I intended it to be very open and free," Alves says of Musica. "Antonio and Reuben are incredible interactive players and can really listen. Antonio's comping is fantastic behind the soloists. He just hears everything. It's a rhythm section that can play many styles."

Helio Alves was born in Sao Paulo on October 5, 1966. Both his parents are amateur pianists. His conservatory-trained mother played classical music exclusively, while his dad played classical music and some jazz and had a few Dave Brubeck and Oscar Peterson records in his collection. Young Helio was especially fond of one by Peterson and Joe Pass.

He began studying classical piano at age 6. His teacher, Elce Pannian, "was very strict," he says, adding, "It was great for my development at the beginning, but her not wanting me to play anything other than classical kind of made me interested in doing other things. It ended up being a good thing."

At 13, Alves attended a duo concert by Chick Corea and Gary Burton in Sao Paulo. "It was so creative, and they sounded so free" he recalls. "I couldn't really understand everything at that point. It was way too advanced for me, but they looked like they were having a ball. It really grabbed me." Besides Corea, he cites McCoy Tyner, Keith Jarrett, and Bill Evans as primary influences.

Jazz bassist Xu Viana, a judge at two high school jazz festival competitions that Alves won, became an early mentor, teaching the teenager jazz harmony and suggesting he attend the Berklee College of Music in Boston after finishing high school. Alves took his advice and, in less than four years, graduated with a degree in Professional Music.

While attending Berklee and until quite recently, Alves also studied composition and improvisation with Charlie Banacos, whose other students of note included Michael Brecker, Marilyn Crispell, Danilo Perez, and Mike Stern. "He just gave me tons of ideas for my improvising," Alves says. Banacos died in December 2009.

Alves moved to New York City in 1993 and began working immediately with Roditi, whom he had met earlier in Boston. Two years later, the pianist joined Joe Henderson's Double Rainbow Quartet, staying two years. Alves' other sideman credits include work with the Caribbean Jazz Project, Phil Woods, Herbie Mann, Airto Moreira and Flora Purim, Oscar Castro-Neves, Mike Stern, and Gal Costa, for whom he served as musical director for her all-star 2003 Carnegie Hall tribute to Antonio Carlos Jobim and Stan Getz. Currently, Alves divides his international touring schedule between engagements with his own trio, Roditi's band, vocalist Joyce Moreno, and the Brazilian Trio, a group he co-leads with bassist Nilson Matta and drummer Duduka Da Fonseca.

The pianist has contributed to three Grammy Award-winning albums: Joe Henderson Big Band (1996), Paquito D'Rivera's Brazilian Dreams (2002), and Yo-Yo Ma's Obrigado Brazil (2003). He also can be heard on recordings by Roditi, Moreno, Da Fonseca, Biscoito Fino, Slide Hampton, Louis Hayes, Rosa Passos, and Gino Sitson.

Alves previously recorded three albums under his own name -- Trios (1998), Portrait in Black and White (2004), and It's Clear (2009), all on the Reservoir Music label -- in addition to Songs from the Last Century, a 2006 collaboration with Da Fonseca for Blue Toucan Records. With Musica, his debut for Jazz Legacy Productions, the pianist seamlessly fuses sounds he absorbed in Brazil and the United States into a remarkably original, deeply satisfying whole.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Just ordered the set after hearing snips from various albums. Thanks!

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Roy Assaf "Respect"

roy_300.jpg

Roy Assaf: Respect, Vol.1 (2012)
By DAN BILAWSKY, Published: October 13, 2012
Innovation and as-yet-unheard-of ideals tend to sell headlines in jazz, but they mean nothing without respect for those who paved the road to the present. Many young emerging talents seem content to walk into jazz without doing their due diligence in discovery and digestion, but that often puts them in a peculiar position of being a mouthpiece for a music that they don't fully embrace. Jazz is certainly the here-and-now, but it's also the there-and-then, and that's a concept that lives at the heart of pianist Roy Assaf's work.

For his debut album on Jazz Legacy Productions, the Israeli-born, New York-based pianist takes on the history of the music, tackling ten songs associated with ten important piano personalities, and adding two of his own for good measure. The usual suspects, like Thelonious Monk, Herbie Hancock, and Chick Corea, are given acknowledgement, but Assaf avoids the usual material associated with these legends; "Blue Monk," "Watermelon Man" and "Armando's Rhumba" are nowhere to be found. Instead, Assaf delivers "Brake's Sake," minus Monk's percussive touch, "Textures," which comes off as atmospheric and airy with bass clarinet, guitar and wind chimes rounding out the sound, and "Eternal Child," which captures Corea's essence and Spanish heart.

Elsewhere, he nods to Count Basie with a simple and appealing "Easy Does It," honors Keith Jarrett with a spellbinding, but misspelled, "Prisim," and gives Oscar Peterson a moment in the sun with "Hymn To Freedom." The majority of the material is built around the trio of Assaf, bassist Reuben Rogersand drummer Gregory Hutchinson, with an occasional guest thrown in for good measure, but McCoy Tyner's "Fly With The Wind," along with the aforementioned "Textures," benefit from big casts.arranged both of these numbers and he deserves a great deal of credit for bringing out the best in two songs that have the potential to sound dated but never fall prey to that outcome.

Assaf's willingness to inject his own personality into these songs is notable and wise. He might not have the chops of a Peterson, power of a Tyner or duende of Danilo Perez, but nobody else truly does either. Those personal, identifying characteristics defined those artists and, while Assaf honors them here and he's more than happy to have some of their magic rub off on him, he gets the fact that he can't be any one of them. He charts his own course through their music and it usually works.

After all the tributes are said and done, he delivers two of his own pieces to prove the point that he's his own man. The gentle and poetic "Guardian Angels" and the devious "Gozo" cap off a fine a collection of music. Respect, Vol. 1 takes on jazz as all that it was, all that it is, and all that it can be, and who could ask for anything more?

My favorite tracks are the Basie cover "Easy Does It" and an original "Guardian Angles". Side note; any recording with Greg Hutchinson is worth owning!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Just ordered the set after hearing snips from various albums. Thanks!

Seems to have gotten delayed or lost. Great service though....they responded immediately and sent another set and refunded me the expedited shipping I paid for. Hopefully it arrives this time!

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Steve Davis "Eloquence"

If today's jazz mainstream is anchored in bebop and hard bop, trombonist Steve Davis has superb credentials, from tenures with the final sextets of Art Blakey and Jackie McLean, plus Chick Corea's Origin and One for All, a sextet that carries on in the hard-swinging hard bop tradition. But unlike many of his trombone contemporaries—both older and younger—the 42-year-old Davis hasn't been pushing the sonic or technical frontiers on his instrument, seeming more concerned with developing a fully rounded, creative personal voice within mainstream parameters. On neither of these albums will you hear Davis imitating a trumpet, employing tricky harmonics or even 'vocalizing' with the help of mutes. Instead—and this is one of the most refreshing things about and greatest strengths of Davis—he fully understands that the trombone is a bass clef instrument and keeps to exploring and utilizing the natural range more than most of his peers.

Eloquence, Davis' latest album, finds him in the company of jazz' reigning piano patriarch Hank Jones and the two mesh like velvet and suede. The plush, breathy yet burnished tone of the trombone is particularly eloquent on Kurt Weill's "My Ship," the CD's slowest ballad and one of three tracks with the quartet of Davis, Jones, bassist Nat Reeves and drummer Joe Farnsworth (of One for All). The three other quartet tracks supplant Reeves with producer John Lee's electric bass, including a rocking romp through Wes Montgomery's "Road Song." Roy Hargrove and Steve Nelson add brass and vibes respectively to three tracks, including an original blues with noticeable surprises in all solos, especially Jones,' and mellow interplay between Davis and Hargrove (on flugelhorn) on "It Could Happen to You." Nelson sticks around for two more tracks, including a memorable "Django," both stately and soulful from all (Jones digs really deep), but rendered truly unforgettable with strokes from Farnsworth's impeccable brushes. Fittingly, the album ends with two salutes to JJ Johnson, the father of modern mainstream jazz trombone.

This is a great CD!

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I agree. Having Hank Jones on piano certainly helps.

Steve also sounds great on the Incorrigible - One for All.

jap --

Wanted to thank you for pointing this out. This has contributed to a flood of great jazz at year end and has really put a big smile on my face!

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

I'm a big fan, owning 10 CDs and having seen him a couple of times live. He plays with utter joy and this release is one of his best. All original compositions and a recording of stellar quality.

“The pianist Cyrus Chestnut is one of jazz’s most convincing anachronisms. His brand of crisp articulation and blues-inflected harmony evokes another era, sometime before the ascent of Bill Evans and McCoy Tyner, to say nothing of Herbie Hancock and Keith Jarrett. But unlike the typical nostalgist, who pines for the past partly because of a queasy discomfort with the present, Mr. Chestnut appears comfortable with his placement in time. What makes his music fly is a complete security in his style, and that sense of untroubled self-assurance.” — New York Times

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
so I gather that even though I'm an analog head, these digital releases are a must ?

If you're even remotely into Jazz, yes.

If you don't like them you can drive over to South Orange, NJ and complain to Mr. Lee.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing