Jeff's New Music Room, the Return of Jeffrey_t

Hello All!
Due to some welcome and overdue forum changes, I'm happy to return and share my new music room and system. I'll be using my Audiogon user name going forward. Over the last year I built a dedicated room on my property, my last room was a converted garage. This room has the following features:

-Dedicated lines with 10 awg copper wire and separate ground
-Shear walls all around
-Quite Rock II drywall
-Blue Jeans insulation
-Wood roof with slightly uneven rafters to break up the reflections
-Custom built record rack behind the listening position that acts as a giant diffuser
-Bathroom/utility room for record cleaning

The system has also been updated, as I've sold all of the Lamm gear. The major focus of the system is to capitalize on the new quite dedicated lines and have a zero hum system. You can put your ear up to the midrange horn and hear nothing. I listen to 90% analog so the heart of the system is the PBN Garrard 401 which continues to be a stellar performer, I really can't think of another turntable I would want. My new phono stage is the phenomenal Aurorasound Vida Supreme. It is extremely musical, flexible, dynamic, and silent. With some help from two WBF members (thanks @Al M. and @KeithR) digital streaming has been added to the system, really great for rock and finding new music. Blue Node streamer and Schitt Yiggy DAC are a lot of fun to mess with. I've also added a TVC to the system (thanks @213Cobra), the very musical Luxman AT-3000. It also helps with the theme of silent and black backgrounds. Two SET amps give different flavors, 2 watt 45 for clarity and 8 watt 300B for added warmth. Full system list:

-PBN Garrard 401
-LDA Turntable Power Supply
-SME 3012R x 2
-VDH Colibri Stradivarius
-Ortofon SPU A95
-Aurorasound Vida Supreme Phono
-Blue Node Streamer
-Schitt Yiggdrasil LIM
-Yamamoto 45
-Xaio Nan 300B hand made mono blocks
-JBL Hartsfield

Here are some pictures of the project:

Full System 1.jpg Full System with Roof.jpg Record Shelves.jpg Components.jpg Utility Room.jpg

View attachment 119144

Demoing the LTA Ultralinear this weekend, color me impressed. This is @KeithR ’s amp that he was either nice enough to let me borrow, or too cheap to have it shipped to Texas :).

I have to say that I’m totally amazed by the sound. Without a doubt it’s the best bass I’ve heard on the Hartsfields. Deep, powerful, and articulate. The highs are also quite beautiful and delicate. The midrange is slightly lean for my tastes, but I’m living with 300B and PX25 SET monos that really excellent in this area.

Thanks again Keith!
After reading comments about LTA amps (including yours here) and doing some reading on their unique features, I recently picked up an LTA Ultralinear Plus integrated. This has given me the chance to compare it with my Pass Labs XA25/EAR 868 combo. I am using 4 ohm, 92 db sensitivity speakers in a smallish room. I haven’t completely settled on which I like more, but the LTA amp’s bass is surprisingly meatier than the XA25, perhaps giving up a tiny bit of detail. The LTA is also super quiet and a pleasure to use. Can’t decide whether it’s meaningfully less dynamic because I keep flip-flopping depending on what I’m listening to. Tone is more pleasing as well, especially when listening to things like acoustic guitar. LTA, with its David Berning approach to amplification, has blown my tube amp preconceptions out of the water.

Last edited:
After reading comments about LTA amps (including yours here) and doing some reading on their unique features, I recently picked up an LTA Ultralinear Plus integrated. This has given me the chance to compare it with my Pass Labs XA25/EAR 868 combo. I am using 4 ohm, 92 db sensitivity speakers in a smallish room. I haven’t completely settled on which I like more, but the LTA amp’s bass is surprisingly meatier than the XA25, perhaps giving up a tiny bit of detail. The LTA is also super quiet and a pleasure to use. Can’t decide whether it’s meaningfully less dynamic because I keep flip-flopping depending on what I’m listening to. Tone is more pleasing as well, especially when listening to things like acoustic guitar. LTA, with its David Berning approach to amplification, has blown my tube amp preconceptions out of the water.
I’m happy you like the LTA’s. The LTA was much preferred over the Pass XA25 on @KeithR system. OTL’s prefer 8 ohms. If you want optimal sound out of the LTA and take it to the next level, you should add an auto former to make the speaker 8 ohms.

I’m happy you like the LTA’s. The LTA was much preferred over the Pass XA25 on @KeithR system. OTL’s prefer 8 ohms. If you want optimal sound out of the LTA and take it to the next level, you should add an auto former to make the speaker 8 ohms.

Thanks for that! Is there any downside to using an autoformer. I've learned that in this hobby, rarely is the lunch free.

Reactions: christoph
OTL’s prefer 8 ohms. If you want optimal sound out of the LTA and take it to the next level, you should add an auto former to make the speaker 8 ohms.

LTA OTL amplifiers have an output impedance of 1.6 ohms, so they work well on speakers with nominal impedance below 8 ohms. I demo'ed LTA amps on 6 ohm speakers with a dip to 3.5 ohms. Both LTA OTL amps sounded terrific.

Yes, converting 4 ohm speakers to 8 ohms using autoformers may result in a different sound from the LTA amplifiers. Typically, the image expands and (perhaps) sounds subjectively more natural. In my system, switching amplifier speaker outputs from 8 ohms to 4 ohms tends to sound punchier with a reduced image.

Last edited:
Thanks for that! Is there any downside to using an autoformer. I've learned that in this hobby, rarely is the lunch free.
Doubling impedance reduces power output by half. That's the trade-off.

LTA Ultralinear produces 20 watts at 8 ohms.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tangram

Its not a conventional OTL, so not sure the same rules of thumb apply.

Reactions: Tangram
Great point. I wonder if the ZOTL is different?
The ZOTL and Ultralinear have the same output impedance spec of 1.6 ohms.

However, interestingly, the ZOTL Reference power specs on the LTA webpage show something different than the Ultralinear amp specs, which is relatively similar power output into 4-ohms and 8-ohms:

Power output with 4-ohm load: up to 51W, 0.5% THD
Power output with 8-ohm load: up to 46W, 0.5% THD

Makes me wonder about the Ultraliner's power output spec with a 4-ohm load.

When I auditioned both amplifiers, I remember preferring the ZOTL Reference. It had more midrange meat on the bones without sacrificing transparency found in the Ultralinear.

True.

14 years ago I used the 8-Ohm tap on Speltz autoformers between Atma-Sphere MA-1 monoblocks and 4-Ohm Wilson Sasha mk.1s. Sonically the downside to my ears was a very slight reduction in top-end extension with the upside of slightly weightier and better resolved bass. I used his Anti-Cables as jumpers from the autoformer to the speakers (2ft) so that may have been a factor.

From a galaxy far far away the last picture in this review shows one tucked behind the left hand speaker.

Reactions: Gjo
Any "etch" or sibilance issues in the highs from the silver coils?
I use pure solid core silver throughout my signal path and have never heard this outcome, despite popular belief out there. To my ears silver sounds more natural. Replaced all the internal copper wires in my Coincident PRE speakers with silver and couldn't be happier with the change.

As with anything in this hobby, I think the silver vs copper debate is system dependent. I’ve heard shrill systems totally tamed by copper wires and boring systems made more vibrant with silver.

My preference is a mix to achieve the desired tone.

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob
As with anything in this hobby, I think the silver vs copper debate is system dependent. I’ve heard shrill systems totally tamed by copper wires and boring systems made more vibrant with silver.

My preference is a mix to achieve the desired tone.
All silver and copper is simply NOT the same, in and of itself, right? It’s all about execution.

My Kondo silver, used by AN, has speed and delicacy, enormous detail, without sounding strident , no bright bite, no prominent leading edge, nothing harsh about it.

Tone means so much :)

All silver and copper is simply NOT the same, in and of itself, right? It’s all about execution.

My Kondo silver, used by AN, has speed and delicacy, enormous detail, without sounding strident , no bright bite, no prominent leading edge, nothing harsh about it.

Tone means so much :)
Nailed it. That has been my silver experience as well...

Reactions: Al M.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing