Jeff's Getting a New Stereo System

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net

Very cool twist. I'm sure most all of us remember the first "real" amplifier and electronics we saw and heard. Since you are friendly with the original builders/designer, after enjoying it for a while, it might prove interesting to find a gap while reviewing other amps that they could go back through the amplifier and see how the components have aged, particularly capacitors, and determine if it's worth some modern parts replacements to get it back to originally designed form. Of course given the typical range of SOA designed into a lot of gear in that era, they might still be perfectly fine. I would think such an investigation to be of interest to both bargain hunters and happy owners who still have a 20 yr old amp.

It would appear the experiment is already making for an interesting adventure.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Made me smile. I always thought that there was a certain paradox in high end that Jeff exemplified by hs choice of the CODA 11. High end audio is in a sense always an exercise in trying to get out the door by making gradual progress of going half way there with each step. The steps necessarily get smaller but no matter how many you take, you can by definition, never get out the door. We accept that the best we can do is only going to be a facsimile of the real thing. The Philadelphia Orchestra ain't never gonna to play in my sound room. so we buy gear in search of that next step to go half further towards the door. In some cases, we turn around such as Jeff did by buying a 20 years old amp and ask ourselves "how many steps have we really taken? What did they cost" "was it all worth it?" "Do I really enjoy music more now than I did then with "lesser" gear?" Tough questions to answer for each of us. I thought Jeff's latest article was therefore very good food for thought.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
For the very few of us that bought gear because at the time we thought the sound was exceptional,and I'm talking 70's,80's,90's and still use it today ; I have a big smile on my face.;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Made me smile. I always thought that there was a certain paradox in high end that Jeff exemplified by hs choice of the CODA 11. High end audio is in a sense always an exercise in trying to get out the door by making gradual progress of going half way there with each step. The steps necessarily get smaller but no matter how many you take, you can by definition, never get out the door. We accept that the best we can do is only going to be a facsimile of the real thing. The Philadelphia Orchestra ain't never gonna to play in my sound room. so we buy gear in search of that next step to go half further towards the door. In some cases, we turn around such as Jeff did by buying a 20 years old amp and ask ourselves "how many steps have we really taken? What did they cost" "was it all worth it?" "Do I really enjoy music more now than I did then with "lesser" gear?" Tough questions to answer for each of us. I thought Jeff's latest article was therefore very good food for thought.

Good analogy. I do think all this is solved if people decide their hobby is gear. Then every step is worth it as long as it is in a different direction even if you never leave the room. I mean, with digital many are running on the spot and often backward. All is fun, just get new shoes periodically and a fitbit even if you have a small room.

For music, look elsewhere, and in some cases there is an overlap with gear.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Good analogy. I do think all this is solved if people decide their hobby is gear. Then every step is worth it as long as it is in a different direction even if you never leave the room. I mean, with digital many are running on the spot and often backward. All is fun, just get new shoes periodically and a fitbit even if you have a small room.

Gear in the strict sense it is the conduit to the music. Putting topology,transformer types,and design aside,I have always felt good basic foundations can lead you to the music.
It will be of interest to me where Jeff goes from here.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I could happily have lived l/t with the Marantz CD12/DA12 cdp I was bowled over by in the late 80s.
If I'd had the £2.5k needed instead of being a dirt poor student, I suspect I'd never have looked past it.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Who knows if Jeff will be satisfied long term with a much less expensive system? I do think his search is admirable and his attitude is refreshing. I know that I would have a difficult time living with lower quality sound once I've become accustomed to a certain standard. However, as technology moves forward, and if one does his research, it may be quite possible to find the same or higher quality sound for less money.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Curiously, I got the idea that I could easily live with analog vintage but digital for me has been a steady and continuous improvement.

Analog changes have been mainly a question of preference, but in digital I have been climbing steps.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Curiously, I got the idea that I could easily live with analog vintage but digital for me has been a steady and continuous improvement.

Analog changes have been mainly a question of preference, but in digital I have been climbing steps.

I agree you can be satisfied with analog at low prices and in vintage it's analog where the talent was, as it was also the ipod of those days. And apogee and horns, of course. That's my problem with analog, there is so much good stuff out there.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Micro, if you ever get a chance to hear the CD12/DA12, take it.
Spin a few cds and absorb what was an amazing sound for its day.
Three decades on, my time with it is a very powerful memory.
It wiped the floor with the big standard Meridian Pros and other so-called audiophile players of the time.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It wiped the floor with the big standard Meridian Pros and other so-called audiophile players of the time.

Coincidentally was listening to it today at a local friend's, he modded it heavily and is planning to sell his esoteric K01 with clock. The esoteric has more details and bass and slam, this is more musical and engaging. As a transport esoteric is much better. The marantz has been refurbed big time though.

Attachments

• IMG_3302.JPG
    IMG_3302.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 372

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey, small world.
Can you imagine a student in 1987 trying to get a bank loan to fund the £2500 needed to buy this then, esp w the added pressure it was a limited edition too!
And preparing to sell off my lp collection that numbered about 500 then.
Luckily the bank said "no way, José" and so I cried a bit, went back to harassing Grahams HiFi to keep playing me my lps on a Linn LP12/Naim monos/Linn Isobariks active setup.
And slipped back into my anti cd rant mode that I perfected in the 80s and 90s.
But I'd love the chance to run the Marantz at home.
Now I drop £2500 on part of an air platform or a couple of pwr cords .

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Yes, I know. Quoting Ken Kessler " The results were, as I wrote. 'mind-boggling, the performance on a par with black vinyl: " http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/review/Marantz-CD12LE-CDplayer/

I have read similar words written in similar conditions too many times - long ago I spent my time trying to listen to such units. But when compared with modern players that were a good match for the system their limitations showed up. Deutsche Grammophon recordings were a nice test for these players - they sounded thin and "digital", they manage to sound great with modern players.

IMHO nostalgia is a fantastic bias.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Agreed, my digital is so good I'm tempted to start collecting SHM-cds.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Barry, as you know I'm ploughing on w getting my analog back in (including custom Al arm board for my linear air arm, bespoke psu to my Straingauge), SR fuses, extra Stacores to cover isoln to tt/cdp/pre/transformer, and a couple more Sablon Reserva Elite pwr cords.
Early next year I'll get you over and you can get some idea of how much I'm getting my digital to play at analog's game re mids texture and upper bass heft.
For me, digital is no poor relation anymore.
Sorry for the wait, but these changes really ideally should happen before I host you.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
No problem Marc.
Glad your digital has blossomed.
My newly acquired DCS Scarlatti Transport playing through the Puccini dac and both synced to the Scarlatti Word Clock has been a revelation compared to the Puccini player/Scarlatti clock.
Per ardura ad ad astra.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
That Coda amplifier's soundstage and imaging can be improved very easily. Having class A design is all you need. IMHO

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
No problem Marc.
Glad your digital has blossomed.
My newly acquired DCS Scarlatti Transport playing through the Puccini dac and both synced to the Scarlatti Word Clock has been a revelation compared to the Puccini player/Scarlatti clock.
Per ardura ad ad astra.

Congrats!!! Big move! Glad that worked out. Do we see another Scarlatti move in the not too distant future perhaps? ;)

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks Lloyd.
Yes the Scarlatti are still star performers and very pleased with the purchase.
A dac is the next big upgrade and DCS in pole position at the moment,

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing