"It's hell getting old" part 3

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
No doubt. I asked my doctor and he said it is called "digititis." Not believing him, I challenged him by saying that I thought "digit" in that refers to fingers, not digital music. He answered, "it was your fingers that ordered the duplicate CD, was it not?"

Made a lot of sense so I bought Ed's R2R music sampler tape. I already feel the positive effects.

So you like Ed's tape? ...The music recordings he sent me (digital) sound fabulous. I truly wish I have an open-reel tape deck.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
So you like Ed's tape? ...The music recordings he sent me (digital) sound fabulous. I truly wish I have an open-reel tape deck.
It is great. I will write it up but had to finish an article for WSR that was due and then measurements of the Regen and AQ Jitterbug. I have done that now and need to write it up.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Wait till you have Alzheimer's. It'll be much cheaper. You won't even need to buy any albums to have new ones all the time. Larry

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
Some of you may remember my other rants about getting old. This is a follow up in that sequence.

A few days ago I see a recommendation by John for Cranberries. Being a fan of the band, I go and order their CD on Amazon.

A minute later my phone beeps with a new text message from Amazon. I pull that up and it says my CD from Cranberries with exactly the same title was just delivered to our house!!! What the heck?

I am thinking it is a mistake in their system. I check my orders and to my horrors I see two orders for Cranberries, one three days back and hence the Prime delivery and one just a few minutes ago.

Now, bless their hearts, Amazon tells you when you have ordered something before. But did not work this time because these were two revisions of the CD.

Here is the earlier order:

Here is the recent one:

The only silver lining is that I ordered the second one used from UK or something so I am not out 2X the price.

How bad is this going to get guys? Not remembering that you ordered a CD just a few days back???

As my late grandfather in law would say, "it is hell getting old." :D

Well Congratulations on your good taste in Music, even if two copys of this classic may be one too many :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Everybody gets to be young...Not everyone gets to be old. I had my cataract surgery recently .It was performed one eye at a time. What a revelation. What was amazing was the brains ability to completely ignore the information from the bad eye. One thing is for sure you can trust your ears.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Everybody gets to be young...Not everyone gets to be old. I had my cataract surgery recently .It was performed one eye at a time. What a revelation. What was amazing was the brains ability to completely ignore the information from the bad eye. One thing is for sure you can trust your ears.

I just had cataract surgery 2mo. ago as well. Of all people, I didn't think I was that old!!!
Had LASIK about 12yr. ago and was just thinking I needed another LASIK 'tune-up'. Come to find out, I had cataracts! The silver lining is I can see better now than when I had the LASIK s/x.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Don Hills

Jun 20, 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
... What was amazing was the brains ability to completely ignore the information from the bad eye. One thing is for sure you can trust your ears.

It's a pity there's no equivalent of cataract removal for ageing ears.
And yes, you can trust your ears. It's the rest of your auditory system that'll fool you every time.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
FYI, I recently went to look for the new Sting album to buy but before that, did a search in my library. Found out that I had already bought not just one but two copies, one from HDtracks and the other Prostudiomasters! :( I guess the only thing worse would have been buying it a third time....

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
We are currently working on my retinas.

To our Members . Get a yearly eye exam.Don't assume you can fix everything with a pair of reading glasses from the pharmacy.na

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I just had cataract surgery 2mo. ago as well. Of all people, I didn't think I was that old!!!
Had LASIK about 12yr. ago and was just thinking I needed another LASIK 'tune-up'. Come to find out, I had cataracts! The silver lining is I can see better now than when I had the LASIK s/x.

I had lunch with an old friend a few weeks ago who told me his wife who had laser eye surgery about 10 years ago told me she had just been diagnosed with glaucoma. He also told me that that they has just discovered that there is a link between the two which leads to an increased risk of glaucoma.
I mentioned this to a neighbour who is an eye surgeon did not seek to refute it.
I am not familiar with the sources or the level of risk so cannot really enlarge further, but maybe it would be wise to manage with glasses before rushing into laser eye treatment.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing