It’s only taken 22 years...

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Brad, nice try, but no cigar.
If you follow any of the comments I’ve made about Apogees you’ll know I’m a big fan of well-restored Duettas.

But as an unapologetic convert to the SETs cause, I’m not going to risk trying to make Duettas sing on SETs in my 5.5m X 14m x 3m dedicated room.

The purpose of this thread was pretty much to say that it’s been getting the environment right ie the room, that has enabled my gear to blossom, and to be able to be fully optimised with my last lot of simple tweaks.

Even if I was tempted, I’m not going to risk going all the way back to Square One radically changing direction to ribbons/SS amps.

I have followed your comments, why do you think I posted the opportunity?? Your SE2SEs will drive Duettas just fine but I won't digress into that discussion again...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I’ve heard Transmitters (120W v my SE2SE’s 70W) struggle on Audio Analysis Omegas in a room 1/2 the size of mine, I’ll take that as a reasonable data point.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have followed your comments, why do you think I posted the opportunity?? Your SE2SEs will drive Duettas just fine but I won't digress into that discussion again...

They won't. And don't. Magmas won't either.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
They won't. And don't. Magmas won't either.

They will and do. BTW, I know for a fact that the SE2SE puts out about 140 watts (Class A2). I have seen the independent measurments.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I’ve heard Transmitters (120W v my SE2SE’s 70W) struggle on Audio Analysis Omegas in a room 1/2 the size of mine, I’ll take that as a reasonable data point.

You listen how loud? How far away from the Analysis speakers?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
They will and do. BTW, I know for a fact that the SE2SE puts out about 140 watts (Class A2). I have seen the independent measurments.

You listen at 70 db and chamber and don't listen for drive. That's the only explanation

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
You listen at 70 db and chamber and don't listen for drive. That's the only explanation

You know nothing about my listening habits and what I listen for or the level at which I listen. Since you don't know this then there are a myriad of possible explanations...many of which would not originate from me being the source of the discrepancy in experience with Apogees...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You know nothing about my listening habits and what I listen for or the level at which I listen. Since you don't know this then there are a myriad of possible explanations...many of which would not originate from me being the source of the discrepancy in experience with Apogees...

It's simple. Anyone who evaluates amps at hifi shows will conclude that Nats can drive apogees.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
It's simple. Anyone who evaluates amps at hifi shows will conclude that Nats can drive apogees.

It's simply a strawman argument you mean. I never claimed to evaluate amps at shows...you made this claim for me. Also, even if I did evaluate amps at shows how would this lead to an obvious conclusion that NATs can drive Apogees?? There is no connection there whatsoever...just you trying to impunge my credibility to sell your agenda that Apogees need big beastly SS amps. As a point, you are very late to the Apogee party and you have no experience with them as an owner of the speakers, which makes it even funnier that you try to dispense advice about them.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It's simply a strawman argument you mean. I never claimed to evaluate amps at shows...you made this claim for me. Also, even if I did evaluate amps at shows how would this lead to an obvious conclusion that NATs can drive Apogees?? There is no connection there whatsoever...just you trying to impunge my credibility to sell your agenda that Apogees need big beastly SS amps. As a point, you are very late to the Apogee party and you have no experience with them as an owner of the speakers, which makes it even funnier that you try to dispense advice about them.

So you owned them and under drove them, and think the way you incorrectly set up your system should be the way for others?

You owned calipers. Not duetta, diva, FR or grands.

You own tiny tots you call horns and give advice on horns.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
So you owned them and under drove them?

I owned them...who are you to say I under drove them? Nobody who heard my system at that time would have agreed with you.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
So you owned them and under drove them, and think the way you incorrectly set up your system should be the way for others?

You owned calipers. Not duetta, diva, FR or grands.

You own tiny tots you call horns and give advice on horns.

Nice attempts at editing. How can you say I under drove them? I don't remember you being there... or owning a pair. I have deep experience with the brand and other planar magentics as well (BG drivers, Infiinty, Genesis) I have a lot of friends that own them as well, Divas, Grands, Studio Grands, Calipers, Scintillas, Full Ranges, Stages, Centaur Majors...I have heard nearly all models...and not at shows, in homes and driven by a huge array of amps. I know what works and what doesn't and what works but sounds poor (hint most big SS).

You now criticize my horns but haven't heard them. What arrogance! You own NO speakers and give advice...laughable.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Nice attempts at editing. How can you say I under drove them? I don't remember you being there... or owning a pair. I have deep experience with the brand and other planar magentics as well (BG drivers, Infiinty, Genesis) I have a lot of friends that own them as well, Divas, Grands, Studio Grands, Calipers, Scintillas, Full Ranges, Stages, Centaur Majors...I have heard nearly all models...and not at shows, in homes and driven by a huge array of amps. I know what works and what doesn't and what works but sounds poor (hint most big SS).

You now criticize my horns but haven't heard them. What arrogance! You own NO speakers and give advice...laughable.

I owned bigger planars than you ever did. Unlike you I was not blindsided enough to think that what we own is the gold standard. And yes, have heard most of those other apogee systems

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Boys, can you go elsewhere and derail someone else’s thread?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
LOL Marc even you have had enough of this one:)

I'm not saying anything...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
To put the record straight, Justin knows I’ve heard his Duettas sound great w 211s, but my room is 4x the size of his, and even w 70W 211s going into my 101dB eff Zus, I’m still reliant on 300W Class D amps augmenting below 35Hz.

So, had the opportunity come up for a home trial on Duettas, I wouldn’t have said no. But this never was a practical possibility, and I’m so past them as an option.

And with how my Zus have opened up here in the new space w final optimising tweaks, there are no regrets.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Spirit,
That is awesome! It's shame it has taken so long. 22 years of wandering in the desert is a long time. Is there anything you could have done to short circuit that? Not everyone has 22 years to get their system to sound "real"!

caesar

May 30, 2010
And it's great to see Zu get some respect. The measurements gang/ frequently analytical listers/ "transparency to source" (instead of transparency to music) marketing segment like to sh!t on Zu because of supposedly bad measurements, but boy, can Zu, like so many high efficiency speakers, deliver emotion!!!

caesar

May 30, 2010
Actually, as you describe the fact that Zu does all that audiophile vocabulary that stereo was designed to do, do you even notice it when you are listening? In the best systems I have heard, I find myself in a complete state of flow. Only upon reflection on my listening session, after the fact, do I recall that ... yes, there was a lot of hall ambience or the signer had a lot of phlegm in her throat, etc. but when I was listening, although completely sober, I was in a drug- like trance , completely channeling the emotion of the performance into my soul.

Very few high end systems are capable of this, sadly. Congratulations!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing