Is Wilson losing their marketing edge?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
That isn't what I said. Quit twisting Keith.

I'm sorry- you said Spectral had body and resolution which conveyed emotion. If I was extending your words too far, then I apologize.

But Spectral to me is all about speed and detail---and body would clearly play second fiddle to that.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Bruce- I meant in general. I think too many people put stock in what recording studios use--when some of that is driven by non-audio related reasons.

We'd all own B&Ws then :)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Bruce- I meant in general. I think too many people put stock in what recording studios use--when some of that is driven by non-audio related reasons.

We'd all own B&Ws then :)

Actually most of us would use active pro monitors and we'd have a pair of B&Ws sitting around that they gave us. :)

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I've tried Barefoots, Adams, Genelecs and Dynaudios.... I finally chose Focals to be our reference monitor.

I've heard some Focals that I liked very much, though I don't remember the model. The were horizontal with double mid-bass drivers, making them look like center channel speakers. Very detailed, very balanced. I've heard a few Dyna models and like them all; a little warmer upper mid, smooth, easy to listen to. I like the Adams, too, but I like them with the tweeter rolled off a bit. I've never heard the Barefoots. Lots of goodness out there in pro monitor land, though. I find that etched, analytical thing that audiophiles object to is usually in the cheap stuff, though you may need to consider the source; one man's resolution is another's analytical.

Tim

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
No prob Keith.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I've tried Barefoots, Adams, Genelecs and Dynaudios.... I finally chose Focals to be our reference monitor.

I would love to hear the new Focals and Barefoots mano y mano. I suspect peoples preference will be defined by the tweeter. In general i prefer soft-dome tweets, but appreciate both.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
This thread got me to reminisce to my first meeting with David Wilson. At that time, I was interested in his recordings. I did not know that he made speakers until I heard the WAMM system in his living room. He told me that he had sold a few pairs with one pair being bought by totem pole collector who mistook his WAMM for a totem pole. His reason for creating the WATT was his desire to have a tool to playback what he had just recorded. At that time, he used a Spectral DMA 50 amplifier which like the WATT was small enough to bring to the recording site. Then, I believe, in one of the shows, he brought the WATT with him. The public loved the WATT and there was an immediate demand for the WATT. This to my memory was how the WATT as a product started. Then, when David came to the Philippines to visit his son who was doing missionary work here, he demoed the WITT with Jadis electronics. I asked him at that time why he had chosen to demo with Jadis and his reply was that he knew Jadis was a very popular amplifier brand here and that he wanted the Jadis owners to hear first hand that Jadis electronics with Wilson speakers are a good match. I do not think David Wilson will purposely confuse the market. He shows his products with different electronics so that the public will know that his speakers are versatile enough to match with different electronic technologies and brands.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
This thread got me to reminisce to my first meeting with David Wilson. At that time, I was interested in his recordings. I did not know that he made speakers until I heard the WAMM system in his living room. He told me that he had sold a few pairs with one pair being bought by totem pole collector who mistook his WAMM for a totem pole. His reason for creating the WATT was his desire to have a tool to playback what he had just recorded. At that time, he used a Spectral DMA 50 amplifier which like the WATT was small enough to bring to the recording site. Then, I believe, in one of the shows, he brought the WATT with him. The public loved the WATT and there was an immediate demand for the WATT. This to my memory was how the WATT as a product started. Then, when David came to the Philippines to visit his son who was doing missionary work here, he demoed the WITT with Jadis electronics. I asked him at that time why he had chosen to demo with Jadis and his reply was that he knew Jadis was a very popular amplifier brand here and that he wanted the Jadis owners to hear first hand that Jadis electronics with Wilson speakers are a good match. I do not think David Wilson will purposely confuse the market. He shows his products with different electronics so that the public will know that his speakers are versatile enough to match with different electronic technologies and brands.

For me, the best marketing is performance. Listen to a pair of well set up Sashas and tell me that you don't want to bring them home!

Coppy

Feb 5, 2011
Sarasota, FL
Right on Myles. I'm listening to my Sashas as we speak, and couldn't agree more. Using CJD's best electronics... Wilson's always seem to like tubes. They replaced my Watt Puppy 7s for which I received most of what I paid for them after six years of wonderful listening. Bought the WPs from Terry, nice guy, before he got jammed up with Wilson for aggressively selling into the NY market from Delaware (no sales tax), actively upsetting all the NY, NJ, CT Wilson dealers. Terry's smart though, less discounting now that he's got two brands that are exclusive to him with Spectral and Magico.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I don't believe he is unique for Spectral. Music Lovers here in Berkeley is a Spectral dealer.

believe Innovative Audio in midtown Manhattan was one of Spectral's largest dealers at one particular time. Not sure any more.

tried to demo Spectral several years ago in SoCal, but they referred me to Music Lovers. crazy the second largest market in the US doesn't have a dealer.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
believe Innovative Audio in midtown Manhattan was one of Spectral's largest dealers at one particular time. Not sure any more.

tried to demo Spectral several years ago in SoCal, but they referred me to Music Lovers. crazy the second largest market in the US doesn't have a dealer.

Speaking of Innovative:

Mark your calendar for our upcoming events:

—- Richard Fryer from Spectral Audio will premiere the new SDR-4000SL Studio Reference CD Processor 6pm to 9pm, Wednesday 9 November 2011.

—- Dave Wilson from Wilson Audio will present the X-2, Polaris, MAXX 3, and Sophia 3 Speakers Systems 6pm to 9pm, Wednesday 7 December 2011.

—- Dan D’Agostino from D’Agostino Master Audio Systems will introduce the Momentum amplifiers and new “Super Analog” preamplifier 6pm to 9pm on Wednesday 25 January 2012.

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Quick intro for those of you that I may not know me - My name is Debby (Wilson) Beaman. I am Dave and Sheryl Wilson's daughter (of Wilson Audio). I see several names here that I recognize: hello to all of you (and hope to see many of you again at CES this year!)

Thank you for the positive words :)

Debby

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Just came back from Definitive Audio where Peter McGrath was showcasing his recordings on the Sashas and Dan's Momentum mono-blocs. I heard the same set-up at RMAF and tonight was stunning! I've never heard a room/space captured in a way that Peter recorded Michael Tilson Thomas conducting his recent symphony performances. Awesome!!

caesar

May 30, 2010
For me, the best marketing is performance. Listen to a pair of well set up Sashas and tell me that you don't want to bring them home!

Myles, I am not arguing about the sound. They do sound pretty damn good. But there is a lot of competition at that $20-$30K price point. Pretty much every company is there, even Sony has been getting rave reviews recently. So the best branded company will stand out the most. You can find a pretty well made purse from a street vendor for $20. But people are willing to pay $200+ for a coach, $1000+ for a Gucci, and $5000+ for a Hermes. Sure there may be better leather and design with those higher priced purses, but there is something about a good brand that psychologically connects the product to the person owning it. There is a reason Coach stamps "C's" and Gucci stamps "G's" all over their bags. Not into purses? Fine. How about Starbucks turning a 40 cent cup of coffee into a $5 cup of coffee that brings with it an "uplifting experience". That's what great branding is all about.

Wilson is a brand that has been around for a long, long time. Many people feel loyalty to it. Nevertheless, as styles, standards change, and tastes change, new products enter the market that challenge the pillar brand such as Wilson, and the consumer thinks, ”Maybe I ought to try that.” So Wilson has to be clear about who they are and what they stand for so they can stand out in the crowded market place.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Quick intro for those of you that I may not know me - My name is Debby (Wilson) Beaman. I am Dave and Sheryl Wilson's daughter (of Wilson Audio). I see several names here that I recognize: hello to all of you (and hope to see many of you again at CES this year!)

Thank you for the positive words :)

Debby

Debby, so what does the Wilson brand stand for? I went to the website, it talks about being "authentic". You guys talk about the work that goes into making a great speaker. But do you think that Hansen doesn't care about his speakers? Or that YG just mindlessly drills holes in the aluminum? "Authentic" is a very ambiguous word, in my humble opinion. So what are you guys authentic to? The live show? The recording? Something else?

There is a lot of competition out there. Why should someone buy a Wilson? What makes Wilson special?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing