Is this a good or bad engineer?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The desk of an engineer:

Without doing any googling, do you think he was a good or bad engineer?

Reactions: Tim Link

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
One of the tech's that I know, and who has done work for me...very well done I might add; has a workplace that makes that look organized and tidy. This guy even has parts and chassis etc., on his front lawn! ( I'm sure the neighbors aren't that impressed, LOL). I suspect that it takes that kind of mind to be really good at that job:eek:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Busy, definitely. To answer the question? Mediocre to bad unless the engineer is taking from other boards what he has on hand to test something he designed NOT to be introduced as SOTA gear. IMHO.

Tom

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I built some of his designs in my university years. He wrote many of the National Application Notes and I gobbled Application Note 299, "Audio Applications of Linear Integrated Circuits". His RIAA preamplifier used the LM394 - ultra-matched transistor pair for input - and it was not easy to me to get it at that time. But I managed to built it!

I still should have this thick National book somewhere in my office.

Thanks Amir!

Groucho

Aug 18, 2012
UK
The detritus of other branches of the engineering profession can be quite photogenic, but not so electronics. I expect you are going to reveal that it is the desk of an indisputably Good Engineer. But... this reminds me a little of the sort of thing I used to do in my teenage days and, I am ashamed to say, still resembles part of my old bedroom at my parents' house that I have never quite got around to sorting out some 30-odd years later.

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
<snip> I expect you are going to reveal that it is the desk of an indisputably Good Engineer. <snip>
Hello, Groucho. Deep down I am expecting the same thing. Probably not from just a good engineer but a great engineer. My first instinct or my gut instinct is telling me otherwise. Regardless, I am looking forward to the answer.....whatever it may be. ;)

Tom

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
One of the best techs I ever had (in another industry) more than doubled the income of every other tech in the shop was a slob by visual observations. Called him Messy Pessy (last name). I left him alone in his "organizational skills" he earned it. Never looked up to bother with what others were doing, just knocked out top notch work year after year.

When the others asked why he made so much, my response was, "has he EVER come over to your area wondering what you were doing, now go back and clean up your mess"

So to the OP this could very well be from the mind of a genius, as many lack basic organizational skills, no time for that stuff, there is more important things to discover/create/design/build!

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
He could be any type of engineer, but it appears his work space habits suck. Like it or not, engineering is a art that requires discipline. Discipline in thought and action. That doesn't mean rigid, but nor does it mean anarchy. Of course, we all know the picture can just be a staged photo that actually reflects nothing of the individual.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Amir, just by looking @ that picture I'd say this guy is one of the best @ what he does.

I know few tech guys (audio electronic gurus) with rooms so messy that you think you just step inside a science fiction movie set for the the new mini transformers series, where they build them. There's hardly any room to move around...if you are carrying a backpack you will get stuck...I am not kidding.

So yes, this guy from that picture above, he's one good audio engineer for sure...probably with a bunch of diplomas and several awards.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
The desk of an engineer:

Without doing any googling, do you think he was a good or bad engineer?

What would you possibly google? "Psychotic electrical engineer"? "Engineer with hording problem"? "Man loses desk under pile of electronics crap" I mean, really.....?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That looks like a design bench given what's on it are breadboards and the equipment shown are DC power supplies. Doesn't look like a repair station at all given those aren't production boards. So I take it we're looking at a designer and not just a regular tech. The fact that the picture itself is a composite (you can see the background where his arm is show way out of scale, the shot must have been part of a publication meaning he's of some fame.

My guess is good engineer. Messy multi-tasker, but good.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Systematic Picky Designer. He throws what he doesn't like on the floor and leaves what he likes on the top desk.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
What would you possibly google? "Psychotic electrical engineer"? "Engineer with hording problem"? "Man loses desk under pile of electronics crap" I mean, really.....?

Just google messy engineer desk and you will immediately find the photo. Big brother knows it all, you just have to ask!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
That looks like a design bench given what's on it are breadboards and the equipment shown are DC power supplies. Doesn't look like a repair station at all given those aren't production boards. So I take it we're looking at a designer and not just a regular tech. The fact that the picture itself is a composite (you can see the background where his arm is show way out of scale, the shot must have been part of a publication meaning he's of some fame.

My guess is good engineer. Messy multi-tasker, but good.

Jack,

Great deduction. Are you a member of the Sherlock Holmes Society? :)

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Here's a photo of the room of a friend of mine. He designs glorious audio equipment.
(He has since moved, so the room has changed.)

syst2.jpg

I'm almost as bad.

If you want some insight into how this happens, I know... ;)

EDIT: I'm reminded...

If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?
-Albert Einstein

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I had a good friend for about 30 years who was an electronics engineer who invented, among other things, digitally controlled fireworks control panels. He worked out of his house. His large basement was so completely filled up with test equipment, boxes, parts, cable spools, electronic components, tools, etc., that there was only a narrow aisle through which one could walk to the back wall of the basement. You will think I am exaggerating when you read this but his dining room table and most of his living room and den looked a lot like the work bench in the photo. There was almost no room to walk anywhere in the house.

Last edited:

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Assuming his organizational skills had little to no effect on his engineering abilities, could go either way. He sure does seem busy..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing