Is there really a good reason for Samsung and Apple fans to hate each other?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
A propos to all of our recent threads here.....

By Don Reisinger

A war is brewing in the mobile space.

No, that war isn’t Apple against Samsung or Google versus Microsoft. Those battles have been raging for months, and chances are, they won’t end anytime soon. The latest – and perhaps most vicious battle – is now being waged between Apple fans and Samsung fans.

If you’ve been following the mobile space lately, you know that Apple fans have taken it upon themselves to target Samsung smartphone fans, discounting their choice in product, hammering the Android operating system, and criticizing them in nearly every way imaginable. In some forums across the Web, even Mama jokes aren’t off the table.

The trouble started last week after Samsung released an ad showing the differences between its Samsung Galaxy S III and the iPhone 5. The company claimed that its product comes with all of the bells and whistles Apple’s alternative doesn’t, making it the better choice for consumers.

Apple fans, of course, responded with outrage, taking aim at every Samsung fan they could. They argued that Android is a loser, Samsung “copies” Apple’s products, and the only reason any company has been able to make some cash in the mobile market is because of the iPhone maker’s innovation in 2007. Without Apple, the fans say, there would be no Samsung or Android.

"It’s clear that a real war is on"
Of course, the Apple reaction to Samsung’s fan charges is nothing new. For years, Apple’s fans have been taking anyone to task that would even come close to criticizing their favorite company. What has been most surprising, however, has been the swift and vicious attacks Samsung has leveled against Apple, making clear that a real war is on.

But does that war make much sense? Sure, Apple’s fans believe the iPhone 5 is the best smartphone on the market. And while there are countless Android-based devices, Samsung’s faithful fully believe that the Galaxy S III is tops. Both sides are loyal. And they are flanked by millions.

Still, the fact remains that if you buy an iPhone 5, you’re going to be pleased with the device. And if you pick up a Samsung Galaxy S III, you’ll be just as happy with that product. If either side is getting anything right, it’s that the products they support really are the best in the world.

So, why fight so hard for something that, at the end of the day, just doesn’t matter? Apple fans can’t change the minds of Samsung fans, and vice versa. For some people, Apple’s products, no matter how nice, will never grace their homes. For others, the same holds true for Samsung devices. And believe it or not, it’s fine if people disagree on the smartphone they most desire.

Call me insensitive to the plight of iPhone owners, but I think there are much bigger problems in the world than dealing with the oh-so-awful Samsung Galaxy S III owners.

So they like a different device than you. Who cares? It’s not like they’re espousing the values of owning a BlackBerry.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I think the "viciousness" really started to take hold after the Samsung vs Apple courtcase of last month. Many consumers, on both sides, felt the outcome was uneven, unbalanced and unfair given the "home ground" was Apple's yard. Android fans were outraged at the verdict, and IMO rightly so. Had this case been before a court in another jurisdiction the outcome surely wouldn't have been so lob-sided and blind.

I happen to think that Android, and in the case of my own experience with the Note, is doing a much better job at making the smartphone a device that is able to grow with my needs. Additionally, Apple is refusing to adapt to industry standards and hell-bound to force their proprietory crap on consumers. Sony did the same for years.......look at them now...a shadow of their former selves. Screw them I say.

People talk about Microsoft and the issues they have when releasing a new OS...well, look iOS6...it ain't the "wunderkind" they claim it to be either. You should read the discussions on some boards about those issues. It ain't no smooth install for many.

When I hear the word Apple I think "arrogance", and that is a word I despise almost more than any other.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I say these people need to get a life.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Who cares

Vinyl vs CD is much more important;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Who cares

Yes, but to fuel these wars a little, you should add that vinyl sounds like an iPhone and and CD like a Galaxy. ;)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Yes, but to fuel these wars a little, you should add that vinyl sounds like an iPhone and and CD like a Galaxy. ;)

Then both sound equally bad ...

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Ha ha. So what's a BlackBerry? Cassette?

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Who cares

I started to say that this is a given, but the true believers all know that vinyl rules. :D
Phones, on the other hand, are a nuisance to me. I have the very cheapest one that Verizon sells because I can barely see the small screens on the fancy ones, and because my carpel tunnel syndrome acts up when I press the danged things due to the fact that everything is so compact. (I am not getting the surgery again.) Anyway, if they ever make an iPhone with a 22" screen, I'll consider it. ;)

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I started to say that this is a given, but the true believers all know that vinyl rules. :D
Phones, on the other hand, are a nuisance to me. I have the very cheapest one that Verizon sells because I can barely see the small screens on the fancy ones, and because my carpel tunnel syndrome acts up when I press the danged things due to the fact that everything is so compact. (I am not getting the surgery again.) Anyway, if they ever make an iPhone with a 22" screen, I'll consider it. ;)

Absolutely, vinyl rules ok:cool:

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
If there were a way to synch the Samsung phone contacts and emails with my other Apple devices (iPads, Notebook, iMac) I would be all over it. That's how Apple captured my phone business!

Sure, use gmail. Unlike iTunes, gmail can be accessed from anywhere, and from any device. Once your stuff is on iTunes, you are forever locked in to iTunes. That's why you are stuck with Apple.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---Both Samsung and Apple have some goodies, and both have some badies.

No one is superior or inferior.

If you look at the beginning (of man's creation and its universe) you'll understand what it's all about. :b

Methinks (honestly) that both sucks and are fantastic at the same time! At the end who truly cares; you choose your own weapon (hopefully for your most efficient/personal use; if you are truly up to it) and you shoot.
Whatever is your target, you did not invent it but you simply benefits from someone else's invention. ...You just pay for it (hopefully with your own money).
And that, is the true joy, the real life in the times we live in. :b

Freedom of choice, and respect of other's choice too.

Only less than 1% of the total population in the United States of America controls more than 20% of the entire economy (the middle class). And our political system is mainly run by this very small group (that 1%). And this very small group isn't recognised as spending (reinvesting money into the economy).
That is one major reason that we are now living the way we are.

Is there something wrong with that (the large ecart between the rich & poor)?
Not at all, but the money has to flow constantly, and now you can deduct that one logical conclusion, which brings us to the hatred between different camps (technology - economy - philosophy - sociology).
The USA is a capitalist system; and most people are happy with it. ...And some will even die to protect it.

Time and trends tell us one aspect about ourselves, freedom and knowledge tell us the rest.

These are all my own words, nobody else; except for the hard facts (percentage of the riches).

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Samsung has fans? LOL!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
"A shsdow of their former selves" -- Apple recently reported earnings at 75% above the same time last year.

"Loked in" to iTunes -- You can convert AAC files to almost anything and use them anywhere. You can do it within iTunes if you don't want WAV.

"Apple is refusing to adapt to industry standards and hell-bound to force their proprietory crap on consumers"...."When I hear the word Apple, I hear arrogance"

Which consumers is Apple forcing their proprietary crap on? The ones who are standing in line outside their stores waiting for their new iPhones? I guess I didn't see the guys in Apple T-shirts with guns, forcing these people to stay in that line.

This anti-Apple stuff is pretty ridiculous. If you don't like their products, don't buy them. But at least have the good sense to pass them by for the right reason - they're too expensive - instead of making up a bunch of fantasies about hapless consumers trapped in proprietary technologies by an arrogant company.

I'm sure there must be exceptions out there, but have never run into a single Apple user who felt trapped. They didn't buy the third or fourth Apple device because they were trapped in proprietary wireless protocols or some nonsense they probably haven't spent two seconds thinking about, they bought them because the first two or three Apple products worked together so easily and seamlessly that they wanted that experience in the next device.

A) First of all, the stuff is not really proprietary. I sit here at my MacBook Pro, sharing files with my wife's PC and sending video and audio wirelessly to my son's PS3. And I'm no computer expert. It took the downloading, installation and set-up of a couple of small pieces of third-party software to pull that off. There has been a bit, but just a bit, of trouble-shooting involved. It was about as difficult as the same thing would have been if I were sitting here at a Windows laptop instead of a MacBook. Maybe just a little less difficult. But if those other two pieces of hardware were Apple, one click would have had everything running. No downloads. No setups. No trouble-shooting. No problems.

That's how Apple "locks consumers" into their stuff. It's really no more "proprietary" than Windows. Hell, It'll run Windows. That's sort of like running Yugo on a Mercedes, but it will do it.

Arrogance? The only people who ever say that are the ones who don't use the stuff. Those who do find products that are extremely user-friendly and one of the best customer-service experiences they've ever had. I can't personally find room for the word arrogance in the experience at all.

Tim

PS; I don't know Samsung's phones at all, but I know their AV equipment well. It is sleek, flashy, grotesquely bright, clumsy and among the least reliable of all the mainstream brands in the category. I would buy one of their plasmas, if the price was right (though it would have to be right enough for an immediate calibration; they come out of the box with preschool colors). Samsung's ancillary AV gear is the only good reason I can think of to buy a store's extended warranty. I don't hate them; I don't know them. But I know their products. Caveat Emptor.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Well Ponk, if you have a Macbook or an iPhone you have Samsung parts running your flashy toy. Avoiding Samsung because they are unreliable, and then buying an Apple which is full of Samsung parts ... really says what you know about the tech industry.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Keith,

You're the one showing the ignorance of the industry here. Samsung used to make parts for Apple, sure. But how come you never see them in Samsung's own products? Because they're too expensive, perhaps? Because 1 or 2 parts doesn't an iPhone make?

Samsung products are cheap, even you admitted it in a different thread, that you prefer Motorola (a different kind of cheap). They know how much it costs to build a part to Apple's standards, and they'd never use those in their products, as that would make them cost as much as an iPhone, which would render the Samsung phones unsellable.

alexandre

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Samsung has fans? LOL!

-----Apple has more fans, and their stock share prices are just keeping getting higher.

The next revolution on portable hi tec smart phones are the Choocs; China Overall Operational Communication System (with integrated miniature satellite on a chip).
- Only James Bond 007 has one of those so far.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
"A shsdow of their former selves" -- Apple recently reported earnings at 75% above the same time last year.

"Loked in" to iTunes -- You can convert AAC files to almost anything and use them anywhere. You can do it within iTunes if you don't want WAV.

"Apple is refusing to adapt to industry standards and hell-bound to force their proprietory crap on consumers"...."When I hear the word Apple, I hear arrogance"

Which consumers is Apple forcing their proprietary crap on? The ones who are standing in line outside their stores waiting for their new iPhones? I guess I didn't see the guys in Apple T-shirts with guns, forcing these people to stay in that line.

This anti-Apple stuff is pretty ridiculous. If you don't like their products, don't buy them. But at least have the good sense to pass them by for the right reason - they're too expensive - instead of making up a bunch of fantasies about hapless consumers trapped in proprietary technologies by an arrogant company.

I'm sure there must be exceptions out there, but have never run into a single Apple user who felt trapped. They didn't buy the third or fourth Apple device because they were trapped in proprietary wireless protocols or some nonsense they probably haven't spent two seconds thinking about, they bought them because the first two or three Apple products worked together so easily and seamlessly that they wanted that experience in the next device.

A) First of all, the stuff is not really proprietary. I sit here at my MacBook Pro, sharing files with my wife's PC and sending video and audio wirelessly to my son's PS3. And I'm no computer expert. It took the downloading, installation and set-up of a couple of small pieces of third-party software to pull that off. There has been a bit, but just a bit, of trouble-shooting involved. It was about as difficult as the same thing would have been if I were sitting here at a Windows laptop instead of a MacBook. Maybe just a little less difficult. But if those other two pieces of hardware were Apple, one click would have had everything running. No downloads. No setups. No trouble-shooting. No problems.

That's how Apple "locks consumers" into their stuff. It's really no more "proprietary" than Windows. Hell, It'll run Windows. That's sort of like running Yugo on a Mercedes, but it will do it.

Arrogance? The only people who ever say that are the ones who don't use the stuff. Those who do find products that are extremely user-friendly and one of the best customer-service experiences they've ever had. I can't personally find room for the word arrogance in the experience at all.

Tim

PS; I don't know Samsung's phones at all, but I know their AV equipment well. It is sleek, flashy, grotesquely bright, clumsy and among the least reliable of all the mainstream brands in the category. I would buy one of their plasmas, if the price was right (though it would have to be right enough for an immediate calibration; they come out of the box with preschool colors). Samsung's ancillary AV gear is the only good reason I can think of to buy a store's extended warranty. I don't hate them; I don't know them. But I know their products. Caveat Emptor.

-----Tim, that is a great post! View attachment 5832

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing