Is there a linguistic barrier to appreciating music?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I say there is. Many people are put off by lyrics that are not sung in their native tongue. I have personally witnessed this time and time again. They might enjoy the music itself, but cannot bring themselves to listening to it any further.

I grew up in The Netherlands and spoke Dutch, but the music we listened to consisted of songs, albums and artists from a variety of places performing in different languages. I learned very early on that music really held no barriers for me, and that the language it was recorded in made little to no difference in my appreciation for artists not speaking to me in my native tongue. As I learned 2 more languages this became even less of an issue, so I understand that I may have a step up on others in this regard. However, it still does not take away from thread heading question.

I would love to hear your thoughts about this, so feel free to express whatever you like (although that truly isn't a problem here).

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I never have given this topic much thought John and the primary reason is probably because most music I listen to is sung in English. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy music that was sung in a language other than English. I grew up listening to my father playing opera music primarily sung in Italian and I could never get close to it. As much as I like the Beatles, I don't even like to hear "I Want to Hold Your Hand" sung in German. The only song I can think of at the present that was sung in a foreign language that I sort of liked was "Dominique" sung by the singing Penguin. Of course when that song came out I was going to Catholic school and was being taught and regularly beat by the Penguins so the idea of a nun being famous and possibly kind intrigued me.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Most people don't give the topic much thought, which is quite understandable, but I think it's an interesting one to discuss nonetheless. And since we have members here from every continent I thought it would be an interesting one.

As English-speakers we have been blessed with more music than we can shake a stick at, so it stands to reason somewhat that the desire to reach out and explore music outside our comfort zone is hugely diminished. This is completely understandable.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Most people don't give the topic much thought, which is quite understandable, but I think it's an interesting one to discuss nonetheless. And since we have members here from every continent I thought it would be an interesting one.

As English-speakers we have been blessed with more music than we can shake a stick at, so it stands to reason somewhat that the desire to reach out and explore music outside our comfort zone is hugely diminished. This is completely understandable.

IMO music is an international language with no barriers

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

mep

Apr 20, 2010
IMO music is an international language with no barriers

Yeah, right up to the point where you can't understand a damn thing that is being sung. You wouldn't know if someone is singing about love or ranting about their hemorrhoids. As long as it sounds good, you can still groove to it though.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I never have given this topic much thought John and the primary reason is probably because most music I listen to is sung in English.

I have no problem with music sung in languages other than English but I do have problems with music sung in English that is unintelligible. That is distracting and annoying.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Noise. There is generally so much noise over-running the vocals that I find language irrelevant.
Noise = instrumental or over-produced instrumental louder or contrary to the vocals / lyrics unintelligible - probably because if they were intelligible they would not make sense or work / the studio is worthless / the mastering is worthless [not relevant to a member of WBF & just to clarify there is an excellent Sound Engineer-Masterer{!!! this is really not a proper word, but "to clean up the mess on the original"} on this site] / the commercial reproductions of the formats [Vinyl, CD, SACD, Download, Tape] are worthless / etc.

I just go for the "tone".

zz.

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Noise. There is generally so much noise over-running the vocals that I find language irrelevant.
Noise = instrumental or over-produced instrumental louder or contrary to the vocals / lyrics unintelligible - probably because if they were intelligible they would not make sense or work / the studio is worthless / the mastering is worthless [not relevant to a member of WBF & just to clarify there is an excellent Masterer{!!! this is really not a proper word} on this site] / the commercial reproductions of the formats [Vinyl, CD, SACD, Download, Tape] are worthless / etc.

I just go for the "tone".

zz.

Same here. Even when I try, I can't recognize the words in a lot of music I listen to. In contrast, when I watch the reality show The Voice where the focus is on, well, the voice :), I understand everything, even when I could not in the original song. Talking of that show, I find their recording and reproduction of singers to be superb as compared to some other TV shows.

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
Same here. Even when I try, I can't recognize the words in a lot of music I listen to.

Keep it that way.
Most pop songs are a bunch of clichés.
The big advantage of a pop song not in your native tongue is one is less bothered by the clichés simply because one doesn’t master the idiom.
Best of course is a song in a language totally unintelligible to you.
One is not bothered by the content at all and simply listen to the voice as another instrument.
In case of pop music this instrument is often out of tune and horribly limited in its expression.
Better stick to instrumental music :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I really like some operas. I bet I'd appreciate them more if I could understand the lyrics directly instead of relying on "cliff notes".

Steve Williams

I really like some operas. I bet I'd appreciate them more if I could understand the lyrics directly instead of relying on "cliff notes".
don't current operas offer translation to English

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
All my DVDs and Blu-Rays have subtitles. You kind of get the hang of it after awhile, almost to the point where I forget I'm actually reading. Not so easy with just music and printed material that comes with an LP. Impossible with CD print material.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I've learned a smattering of German, French and Italian so that, with repeated listening accompanied by following the translated libretto, I can now understand what they are singing, if I choose to.

don't current operas offer translation to English
Ugh. I don't like operas in translation as the English is often harder to understand and the suitability of the translation rarely matches the music as well as did the original. Fortunately, nowadays, opera on BluRay allows the display of the libretto in many languages as subtitles.

Steve Williams

I've learned a smattering of German, French and Italian so that, with repeated listening accompanied by following the translated libretto, I can now understand what they are singing, if I choose to.

Ugh. I don't like operas in translation as the English is often harder to understand and the suitability of the translation rarely matches the music as well as did the original. Fortunately, nowadays, opera on BluRay allows the display of the libretto in many languages as subtitles.

actually I thought they are sung in Italian but have it translated above the stage

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
based on posts in other WBF threads there are many fans here of Brazilian music. they probably don't know a lick or portiguese but still enjoy joao/astrud gilberto (thinking of the getz/verve records). im also a fan of airto moreira and flora purim. portuguese is a third language for me, in case you were wondering the meaning of the words are as sensuous as you imagined:)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
based on posts in other WBF threads there are many fans here of Brazilian music. they probably don't know a lick or portiguese but still enjoy joao/astrud gilberto (thinking of the getz/verve records). im also a fan of airto moreira and flora purim. portuguese is a third language for me, in case you were wondering the meaning of the words are as sensuous as you imagined:)

MA Recordings & Woo Audio gave out a complimentary CD to all attendees at the first TAVES Show in Toronto. One of the most beautiful songs on that disc is a song by Maria Ana Bobone - Jose embala o menino. You can't find a more beautiful song, but I don't understand a word. I don't have to though......the music is too awesome not to listen to.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
actually I thought they are sung in Italian but have it translated above the stage
I didn't think you were referring to supertitles at a live performance but an actual translation of the performing libretto. Yes, that works, too, but they need them for the operas sung in English, as well.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I have no problem with music sung in languages other than English but I do have problems with music sung in English that is unintelligible. That is distracting and annoying.

I agree. Singing should be done in such a manner that the lyrics are understandable. I really dislike badly slurred singing. Opera is a play with sung lyrics and dialog, and as such, one should be able to understand the words being sung.

I love opera even though I don't understand a word of what they are saying, although I have an idea of what is happening because I know the stories.

Supertitles, even when the lyrics are in English are also helpful for people with hearing deficiencies who may hear the music better than the lyrics and are definitely beneficial for novices who won't otherwise know what is happening on stage.

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
There are so many songs that I love, but pay little to no attention to the lyrics. Some lyrics are even nonsense rhymes but make a point musically (think early Yes or America). I also have several Italian, Norwegian, Sweedish, African, Brazilian, etc progressive and world music that are just fantastic, but I have little to no understandoing of what is being sung.

It doesn't change the fact that the music is great and enjoyable.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing