Is Speaker height important to creating realism?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I think height of the speaker is important. However,IMO too much height can also bring problems.
When I owned Acoustat 2+2's and 3's, I always thought some of the presentation seemed unnatural, as if it was coming in too high and had no foundation to the stage. OTOH, I have a friend who owns original Quads on their original stands, they strike me as being too low. Perhaps it depends on where the tweeter is in relation to your seat and the floor/ceiling.

Indeed, the law of thirds also apply here. ...1/3, 1/5, 1/7, 1/9, ....
...The overall sound propagation from the Woofer(s), Midrange(s), and Tweeter(s)' integration (combined). Horizontally, vertically. ...Subwoofer(s) included.

* Ask Bruce, and also ask him 'bout those speakers way up there in professional studios!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Short speakers got no reason
To live

They got little boxes
Little eyes
They sit around
Tellin' great big lies
They got little woofers
And tiny little tweets
They wear big cones
On their tiny little feet

Well, I don't want no short speakers
Don't want no short speakers
`Round here

Short speakers are just the same
As you and I
(A fool such as I)
All speakers are brothers
Until the day they die
(It's a wonderful world)

Short speakers got nobody
Short speakersgot nobody
Short speakers got nobody
To love

They got little baby woofers
That don't go so low
You got to pick em up
Just to say hello
They got little mids
That go beep, beep, beep
They got little tweeters
Goin' peep, peep, peep
They got grubby little fingers
And dirty little minds
They're gonna get you every time
Well, I don't want no short speakers
'Round here

Sorry Randy!

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Just one comment from me on this thread... when people ask me the question of big vs small, my response is - what type of music do you listen to; if large scale orchestral, then usually the point I make in the form of a question is: how are you going to get an entire orchestra rendered realistically out of a single 5 inch midrange driver? Then the discussion naturally moves on to how many drivers or panel area does one need, and what happens to small-scale music... Leave it for another thread, but suffice it say that the amps have a huge impact here...

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
For quasi-pointsources my listening height is usually ears between the tweeter and midrange and not tweeter level. I dunno, it's not the convention but I guess psychologically it feels more assuring in the "coherence" sense...

How does this work with d'Appolito configured M-T-M speakers?

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
when people ask me the question of big vs small, my response is - what type of music do you listen to; if large scale orchestral, then usually the point I make in the form of a question is: how are you going to get an entire orchestra rendered realistically out of a single 5 inch midrange driver?
Sorry, this is nonsense: no matter how expensive or big a speaker is, the key frequencies that determine the vast musical content of what you hear are always delivered by such a driver. A top of the line JBL pro sound setup, which can overpower a real orchestra accoustically, will use just such a driver; it may be stuck at the back end of a horn structure to focus the sound but it won't have problems delivering the grunt. Provided the driver is made to handle the power, can dissipate the heat generated, and is driven by a high quality amp, this is easy peasy.

You only need lots of big drivers to handle the below 100Hz stuff. An orchestral recording will not collapse if you leave out those frequencies, you will still get "huge" sound from the rest of the drivers.

Your last point is correct, amps are everything, but this is relevant for every type of music! Most systems that lack the "big" sound are so because the electronics are not up to scratch, need to be better sorted out ...

Frank

Last edited:

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
Sorry, this is nonsense: no matter how expensive or big a speaker is, the key frequencies that determine the vast musical content of what you hear is always delivered by such a driver. A top of the line JBL pro sound setup, which can overpower a real orchestra accoustically, will use just such a driver; it may be stuck at the back end of a horn structure to focus the sound but it won't have problems delivering the grunt. Provided the driver is made to handle the power, can dissipate the heat generated, and is driven by a high quality amp, this is easy peasy.

You only need lots of big drivers to handle the below 100Hz stuff. An orchestral recording will not collapse if you leave out those frequencies, you will still get "huge" sound from the rest of the drivers.

Your last point is correct, amps are everything, but this is relevant for every type of music! Most systems that lack the "big" sound are so because the electronics are not up to scratch, need to be better sorted out ...

Frank

It's very hard at times to stay quiet, and you may even manage it for a long time against the most greivous of provocations, but yoiu simply can't stay quiet for ever.

It MIGHT have been fine frank IF you had said it was your opinion. But where do you get off saying the stupidest things yet preface it with 'sorry, this is nonsense'?..

So you build a system, with lots of bass drivers below 100 hz and then a five inch midrange above it? Well, it makes just about as much sense as very other post you make in every thread around this place.

Let's just say, when it comes to speaker requirements for good sound you are alone. So keep ploughing that furrow (seriously, good luck with it, follow your own muse) but maybe just a tad more humility when you correct others with your own homegrown thoughts...about the only thing we can be thankful about is that we are spared listening to it.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
So you build a system, with lots of bass drivers below 100 hz and then a five inch midrange above it? Well, it makes just about as much sense as very other post you make in every thread around this place.
So Basspig who is delivering 135dB sound peaks with a set of JBL pro drivers, a single tweeter and midrange on each side, doesn't know what he's talking about? It's quite easy to buy good quality midrange units with spec's that clearly "prove" that they are capable of producing over 120dB sound level peaks, the same as standing in the middle of an orchestra. So what's the holdup, the hurdle that stops that happening when you stick that single driver into a wooden box?

Frank

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Frank, do you get the full orchestral power from your setup?

And what kind of cereals are you eating in the morning? ...Froot Loops? :b
Okay, Bob, you don't need to join in ... :p

The answer is yes, I can get full orchestral power. The main limitation is the combination of amp and speakers that only gives about 105dB max, but subjectively I get the "big" sound. The latter is due to the midrange and treble working well, gives you the "your head is going to explode" feeling on the big crescendos ...

Frank

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
So Basspig who is delivering 135dB sound peaks with a set of JBL pro drivers, a single tweeter and midrange

Hello Frank

The smallest driver he is using is a JBL E120. It's a 12" beast 103db 1 watt 1 meter with a 4 edgewound coil and a 20lb magnet. He is also using it over a narrow range so power handling is not an issue for it.

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/components/eseries.pdf

Rob:)

Attachments

• EDS%20JBL%20E120_Pa&.jpg
    EDS%20JBL%20E120_Pa&.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 152

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
So Basspig who is delivering 135dB sound peaks with a set of JBL pro drivers, a single tweeter and midrange on each side, doesn't know what he's talking about? It's quite easy to buy good quality midrange units with spec's that clearly "prove" that they are capable of producing over 120dB sound level peaks, the same as standing in the middle of an orchestra. So what's the holdup, the hurdle that stops that happening when you stick that single driver into a wooden box?

Frank

have no idea (atm) of what he exactly runs. Btw, well done on pulling out of the net ONE example that might back you up. That of course requires you ignore every other thing out there.

What do YOU do that allows you to call the opinion nonsense? You are running multiple bass drivers are you?

Are you able to analyse that (any) system from a finer viewpoint than 'driver size'? It's so black and white in your world. What if, instead of five inch driver, it was 4.75? Man, our neat little divisions would suddenly disappear.

In any case, what I have seen is BP's in room response (vaguely, and really only from ASCs test tones, twas a long time ago). IIRC it showed a very strong bass presence :D. That is fine from personal taste viewpoints. I doubt it would be how I set mine up for long term listening to music. So, perhaps NOT the best example to back yourself up with.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
How does this work with d'Appolito configured M-T-M speakers?

The listening axis is centered on the tweeter.

Rob:)

Attachments

• Project MTM..jpg
    Project MTM..jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 148

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Smack down the middle for me :)

The middle of what? The upper mid/tweet or the lower mid/tweet (you said you listen between the mid and tweeter axes)? My original question was somewhat rhetorical since the vast majority of speakers are meant to be listened to on the tweeter axis; I'm not trying to give you a hard time.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The tweeter in M-T-M. If say the speaker is an M-T-M that can be aimed like an X-2, I'd situate myself at the tweeter's horizontal plane. Again it's just a psychological thing for me (sight bias). When the music get's going I can seriously enjoy from practically anywhere in the room, provided I like what's playing of course. It's just one of those tweaky, loony, audiophile things LOL.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
have no idea (atm) of what he exactly runs. Btw, well done on pulling out of the net ONE example that might back you up. That of course requires you ignore every other thing out there.

What do YOU do that allows you to call the opinion nonsense? You are running multiple bass drivers are you?

Are you able to analyse that (any) system from a finer viewpoint than 'driver size'? It's so black and white in your world. What if, instead of five inch driver, it was 4.75? Man, our neat little divisions would suddenly disappear.

In any case, what I have seen is BP's in room response (vaguely, and really only from ASCs test tones, twas a long time ago). IIRC it showed a very strong bass presence :D. That is fine from personal taste viewpoints. I doubt it would be how I set mine up for long term listening to music. So, perhaps NOT the best example to back yourself up with.
Well, Basspig is an extreme example, to demonstrate what IS possible. We ordinary mortals don't need 135, nor 125, not even 120dB. Heavens to betsy, 115dB clean sound would do me, and this is more than you will get in a seat at a orchestral concert.

We are talking midrange, not bass here, and of course what exactly is midrange can be harder to define. The limit is getting sufficient excursion of the cone, that the Xmax is up to it, if you drop the bottom end of what you call midrange. Or you use horn techniques for focusing the sound. Drivers expressly designed to be midrange, around 4 to 5 inch, of a normal quality, can get up to about 115dB but if you look a bit more then you can get Morel, a unit of that size will do over 120dB.

The point being, again, is to recreate a "big", orchestral sound: raw dB levels isn't the key factor; rather the cleanness of those dB's ...

Frank

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
The tweeter in M-T-M. If say the speaker is an M-T-M that can be aimed like an X-2, I'd situate myself at the tweeter's horizontal plane. Again it's just a psychological thing for me (sight bias). When the music get's going I can seriously enjoy from practically anywhere in the room, provided I like what's playing of course. It's just one of those tweaky, loony, audiophile things LOL.
To me the problem would always be the phasey thing happening with the 2 midrange units too far apart. Some time ago I played around with 2 Peerless units arranged such, and didn't like the "funniness" of the sound when moving my head vertically.

Seriously enjoying music from anywhere in the room? Obviously very loony -- why, I hear there are some strange individuals who can experience this with live music ... :b:p

Frank

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
Well, Basspig is an extreme example, to demonstrate what IS possible.

That what is possible? Seriously, it's trivial to have your bass run really hot. You just run it way above the rest of the FR.

We are talking midrange, not bass here, and of course what exactly is midrange can be harder to define. The limit is getting sufficient excursion of the cone, that the Xmax is up to it, if you drop the bottom end of what you call midrange. Or you use horn techniques for focusing the sound. Drivers expressly designed to be midrange, around 4 to 5 inch, of a normal quality, can get up to about 115dB but if you look a bit more then you can get Morel, a unit of that size will do over 120dB.

Look, I have no idea of what you are trying to say, and am pretty sure you are not too clear yourself. Sure does sound good tho. Anyway, sounds like you are moving away from your initial simplistic approach

The point being, again, is to recreate a "big", orchestral sound: raw dB levels isn't the key factor; rather the cleanness of those dB's ...

Frank

measured your little HTIAB yet frank? Asked years ago, still waiting. Remember, distortion includes many factors, including departure from an accurate FR. Tell us all, how clean are your two inch full rangers at even 80 db.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
That what is possible? Seriously, it's trivial to have your bass run really hot. You just run it way above the rest of the FR.
Though from what Basspig's saying, his FR is pretty flat from the point of view of listeners: professional musicians, if they can be trusted, approve of what it sounds like. I note that the JBL driver used to do midrange is 103dB sensitive, can handle 300W peak: that translates to about 128dB capable in those crucial frequencies.

Look, I have no idea of what you are trying to say, and am pretty sure you are not too clear yourself. Sure does sound good tho. Anyway, sounds like you are moving away from your initial simplistic approach
The key point is whether a single midrange unit is sufficient to do duty for reproducing orchestral peaks and such; I contend that it is, providing you don't want volume levels equivalent to actually sitting amongst the musicians.

measured your little HTIAB yet frank? Asked years ago, still waiting. Remember, distortion includes many factors, including departure from an accurate FR. Tell us all, how clean are your two inch full rangers at even 80 db.
I sure the FR is pretty awful, and I know the intrinsic distortion levels are not brilliant when the units are cold. On a simple, audiophile style recording of one or two acoustic instruments conventional, very high quality speakers will be obviously superior, I've heard this aspect many times already. But I'm not interested in such matters, I'm after how the overall setup behaves on demanding material. And I'm quite pleased with that: it can be be run up to maximum volume, say 105dB, and then dropped right down to 70 or 60dB, and the tonality doesn't change. This drives my wife crazy: she says, turn it down, I want to make a phone call, so down it goes, further and further, but subjectively it doesn't seem to get softer, so, turn it down more! It can get to just a few clicks above zero, but still attracts your attention ...

Frank

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing